Californian wine offers something for everyone, thanks to its wide variety of grapes and terroirs, and its ideal climate.
Full-bodied reds, refreshing whites, elegant fizz and luscious dessert wines are all hallmarks of wine from the Golden State, and to celebrate this, Square Meal and Corney & Barrow are hosting
a series of intimate wine tastings in the City this spring.
The tastings - limited to just 25 spaces each - will be fun and light-hearted, and we hope the ideal setting in which to learn a few things about this stunning region that you didn’t know before.
The wines on show on the night will include sparkling wine from Roederer Estate, along with Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Pinot Noir, Merlot, and a couple of contrasting Zinfandels. Wine expert John
McLaren will give a short introduction to each one. In addition, a range of tempting canapés will be served:
- roasted pine nuts and Parmesan soufflé tartlet (V)
- crostini with Somerset goat’s cheese and a red onion and rosemary chutney (V)
- Parmesan and black-olive shortbread with aubergine and sun-blushed tomato (V)
- Clare Island smoked salmon on a croûte with lime and dill crème fraîche
- grilled tiger prawn on a toasted sesame-seed croûte with chilli jam
- smoked paprika chicken with lime and tarragon crème fraîche
- ham-hock ballotine with Aspall cider and sun-blushed cherry tomato
The dates and venues for the tastings are as follows. To book tickets for any of the events, please call the appropriate venue:
14 March – Corney & Barrow, Lime Street, EC3 (020 7398 5870)
21 March – Devonshire Terrace, EC2 (020 7256 3233; venue and dishes pictured, above)
28 March – Corney & Barrow, City Point, EC2 (020 7382 0606) – LAST FEW TICKETS
The events start at 6pm for 6.15pm and tickets for each event cost just £20.
To find out more about what California has to offer, read this introduction to Californian wine. To find out why wines from the Golden State are
now showing their elegant, refined side, read this feature on how the area's wines have changed.