ONLINE CONTENT EDITOR
Applications must be submitted by 5pm on Monday 13 February. Salary dependent on experience.
We’re looking for an online content editor to help the editorial team source, write and publish news and venue reviews on squaremeal.co.uk, while dealing with the demanding administrative requirements of our clients.
This job is full-on and fast moving. We need a sharp, organised, multi-tasking problem solver with an eye for detail and good writing skills, and who can stay calm when the heat is on.
Who we are and what we need
Firstly, be aware that this position is not for the restaurants and bars team (which Squaremeal is perhaps best known for). Squaremeal Venues + Events is a separate division of the company that produces magazines, web content, and newsletters for the corporate events industry. Click here
to visit our news homepage.
Our readers are corporate event organisers whose concerns range from booking private dinners for colleagues and clients in restaurants, through to organising large-scale conferences for company AGMs.
Our products provide news, inspiration and expertise on venues and event suppliers, along with advice on how to organise events. We also publish content on corporate hospitality and corporate teambuilding activities.
The venues and event suppliers we list on squaremeal.co.uk are all paying clients. In addition to an online review, clients receive media support (through the editorial team) via the website, magazines and weekly newsletter. This is a good portion of the content you will be organising, writing, uploading and amending on a daily basis.
The role is equal parts editorial and website administration.
• Scheduling, sourcing, writing and uploading of news (which will include headlines, standfirsts and picture captions), reviews, long-form features and Buzzfeed-style lists to various different parts of the website.
• Organisation of the content for our weekly newsletter. It covers a mix of editorial and advertorial stories. You can view an issue here
• Regular liaison with our clients and our commercial team via email, on the phone and in person in order to source stories and update review copy.
• Making editorial amends to client reviews and other articles.
• Managing our image library, sourcing images externally, and updating images online.
• Daily publishing of content on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• General administration on the website and through Excel.
• A proven track record of working with a CMS.
• Experience in writing news stories across different platforms.
• A reporter’s nose for what makes interesting, topical content for a publication’s readership.
• Highly organised, multi-tasking, speedy and diligent.
• Confident on the phone. (This is really important as much of the job consists of dealing with clients and their requests.)
• A friendly, sociable disposition while being happy to generally muck in to get the job done.
• Willing to attend launches and other London events in the evening.
• Willing to stay late on occasion.
How to apply
(If any of the below are missing you will be immediately discounted)
• Include a covering letter describing why you are appropriate for this specific job at this specific company.
• Write two independently sourced news stories. Use this as an example for subject type, style and length.
• List some of your passions and/or pastimes. (Give us more than ‘eating in restaurants and seeing friends’ please.)
• Tell us what you’d do if you were a billionaire.
If you have any questions, call Damien Gabet directly on 020 7840 6291.