SquareMeal is a young, dynamic, fast-growing company with market-leading products across a full range of platforms – from websites and exhibitions to guides and magazines. It has a reputation for accurate but entertaining restaurant commentary built over 28 years and its community of high-spend diners is unequalled in the UK, making approximately £150m of restaurant reservations online and by telephone annually. Its Venues + Events division has a market-leading position in print magazines and online, as well as an award-winning exhibition, Venues + Events Live, attracting over 7,000 event organisers and bookers each year.
We’re always on the lookout for talented, bright people who share our enthusiasm for excellence in this fun and lively industry, and want to work in a creative, go-getting, happy environment. You can meet the team here.
If you are interested in working (or writing) for SquareMeal please email your CV to email@example.com for editorial positions, and firstname.lastname@example.org for media sales positions. Specific jobs we’re currently recruiting for are listed below.
Online Editorial Assistant
Hours: Full time
Application deadline: 5 September 2018
Start date: 17 September 2018
We are looking for a motivated and pro-active individual to join our Restaurants + Bars editorial team.
The main purpose of the role is to upload the news, reviews and other content for the editorial team, as well as maintaining up-to-date information and images across the restaurant booking pages. As well as these day-to-day duties, you will be given the opportunity to play a crucial role in the execution of several larger projects throughout the year, including assisting in the production of our annual restaurant and bar guide, SquareMeal’s Gold List. There is also the opportunity to attend evening events on behalf of SquareMeal.
This is a great position for someone who is looking to enter the fast-paced world of online publishing. No previous digital content editing experience is necessary, however it is worth noting that this role is predominantly computer based and therefore requires someone who is confident with all aspects of IT (appropriate training will be provided). In addition, you will provide general administrative support to the editorial team.
Now is a really exciting time to be joining SquareMeal as we are going through a period of rapid growth and you will be a key player in helping our great plans to come to fruition.
What the role entails:
• Uploading digital content to SquareMeal.co.uk (news, features, restaurant pages, best lists)
• Constructing the weekly email newsletter
• Liaising with restaurants and PRs to obtain up-to-date information for the website
• General team administration: managing post, booking couriers, collating invitations
• Responding to enquiries via email and telephone
• Offering support to the wider SquareMeal office and attending company events when required
Desired skills and experience:
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Good organisational skills
• Ability to prioritise own workload
• Familiarity with the Microsoft Office package
• Keen eye for detail
• Adaptable; the successful candidate will be a strong multi-tasker
• Team player
• Experience of providing administrative support to a busy team
• Knowledge of editing HTML/using a CMS would be a bonus
• An enthusiasm for the UK restaurant scene
Please provide a copy of your CV and a covering letter detailing how you meet the criteria outlined above to SquareMeal’s editor Ben McCormack, on email@example.com
Why an internship at SquareMeal?
Our internship scheme offers an exciting opportunity for enthusiastic individuals to gain practical experience within a national restaurant, venues, drinks and media working environment, offering a valuable insight into our business culture and building the important skills required for your future career.
While you are with SquareMeal you will be guaranteed to be working alongside experienced professionals on various exciting projects. You will get an inside look at the people, methods and technologies at work and understand the value we place on quality and integrity.
Interns are typically exposed to the day-to-day operations of SquareMeal, with the opportunity to be guided by established industry professionals. Interns may also be involved in SquareMeal events, at various locations in and around London.
What we're looking for
We require our interns to have fundamental skills that include a high standard of written and spoken English, numeracy and computer-literacy. You will possess strong written and verbal communication skills, a flexible approach and a team player mentality.
A genuine passion and enthusiasm is essential for you to gain the most from your placement, along with a willingness to learn, and a high level of commitment.
If you are looking for an Internship within the UK you must have an EEA passport and/or UK work visa. If you do not have full working entitlement you will need to arrange the appropriate documentation to allow you to be employed in the UK. When you start the internship you will be asked to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK.
Things to Consider
• Our internships provide unpaid work experience.
• Every internship runs for a maximum of 2 months.
• There are no guarantees of permanent employment on completion of the internship period. However, interns are welcome to apply for any available vacancies during/ after their time with us.
• SquareMeal will be responsible for the daily travel expenses incurred while traveling to and from the SquareMeal offices (within a 25 mile radius of London) or SquareMeal related events.
If you are interested in applying for an internship with SquareMeal please send an email with a copy of your CV and a few lines on why you think you would be a good fit for SquareMeal.
Please email the relevant department from the list below.
Marketing + Events: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Media/E-commerce/Online: email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you.