SquareMeal Review of The Cinnamon Club

This ground-breaking Indian restaurant finds its home in the other-worldly Victorian surrounds of the former Westminster Library, making a happy marriage out of two of the UK’s most cherished passions: its history and its adoption of curry as a national dish.

Two of the restaurant’s walls are covered in classic books – the result of a fairly recent £1million makeover – which reaches the ceiling and frames the gallery level to create a fairy-tale feel. Despite the pretty surrounds, the atmosphere can sometimes be lacking due to an absence of music and a very male-dominated clientele (which perhaps isn’t surprising given the restaurant’s position near the Houses of Parliament) that means there is one loud hum to proceedings.

Background noise aside, the food fares much better than the ambience. Head chef Vivek Singh trained classically in India and the plates carry the hallmark of someone who has spent years perfecting their craft and has then been brave enough to put their own spin on things.

Octopus to start comes soft-centred with gloriously intense crispy bits and potatoes in a bright curry sauce flavoured with sharp lemon. Indian food often lends itself to family-style dining, but communal plates have had a fine-dining makeover here. Rich butter chicken is served on a silver platter; the curry house classic is familiar and elevated at the same time and comes with a creamy black dal, pilau rice peppered with whole fragrant spices, plus a punchy garlic naan to mop up the generous quantities of sauce.

To drink, pretty cocktails promise a colourful riot of exotic flavour, though we found the in-house creations erred on the side of the saccharine; better to investigate a groundbreaking wine list that expertly matches the qualities of individual grapes to the intricacies of complex spicing.

Despite any gripes over atmosphere, Singh’s careful balance of flavours offers an exemplary Indian dining experience and with a permanently packed dining room, we’re not the only ones with an appetite for his clever cooking.

About The Cinnamon Club

When The Cinnamon Club opened in 2001 it offered up a fine-dining experience when the majority of Indian restaurants in the capital were still subscribing to the curry-house format that had propelled the popularity of the cuisine in the UK.

Classically trained in India, chef Vivek Singh understands the building blocks of age-old cooking techniques and couples them with contemporary twists on classics for unusual and surprising creations that have helped to push his restaurant into the premier league of London eateries. Additional accolades include Singh having authored five bestselling cookbooks and appearing regularly on cooking programmes such as Saturday Kitchen and Celebrity MasterChef.

The Cinnamon Club has recently undergone a £1million refurbishment to transform its home in the old Westminster Library into a bright and modern space that still retains much of its original character. Old books line two sides of the dining room while walls are painted bright white and a mezzanine level adds additional seating without detracting from the double-height space.

Priding itself in catering for every eventuality The Cinnamon Club offers all sorts of special menus, including a vegan one which offers a wonderful selection of plant-based Indian dishes. An early/late menu sees guests offered three courses for £38, including a pre-starter and a seasonal cocktail.

From the main menu you can expect creations like a Bengali-style lobster thermidor and a 48-hour marinated pheasant breast in pickling spices. For those who enjoy communal dining there is also a handful of signature sharing mains, like the Old Delhi-style butter chicken and a whole rack of lamb in a corn and yoghurt sauce.

The Cinnamon Club also offers private dining spaces for special occasions and serves meals from first thing to late into the evening, with a breakfast menu that includes unexpected dishes such as a full traditional cooked English breakfast.

Indian

Event Party Venue
Christmas at Cinnamon Club
Christmas Parties

Location for The Cinnamon Club

The Old Westminster Library, 30-32 Great Smith Street, Westminster, London, SW1P 3BU

Breakfast

Reviews of The Cinnamon Club

Ms/Mrs. Alex R

A special impression
30 August 2019   - Verified Diner

if you want some where a little special look no further

Paul A

We'll be back
20 May 2019

The old library dining room is immediately striking and huge, handling the enormous number of covers claimed with ease, although the downside of this is the high level of ambient noise, despite the high ceiling, but at least there is no music. We were welcomed like regular customers, and the tasting menu offers a tempting variety of regional specialities presented in a modern way. A taster of spicy minced chicken in a ball went down very well with our glass of small-grower champagne, as did the appetisers - tender chicken chaat in a very good pastry shell, lovely crab and berry salad with an interesting lotus root crisp, and super Scottish salmon, cured in house with spicy jhal. We still tend to favour low air miles in sourcing ingredients and were on the point of commenting about this when it transpired that the first starter prawns actually came from Down Under. However, this was one of the best ever prawn dishes for us - the luxurious, fleshy prawns perfectly done in a marvellous Kerala Allepey sauce, which had been restored to the menu (to the delight of the staff who considered it to be a real trump card for the restaurant).  This dish was beautifully matched with a Ch de Retout white Haut-Medoc made from an unusual blend of grape varieties. This could have overshadowed the second starter, but the excellent minced Cumbrian lamb with its “mille feuille” kebab and its coriander notes stood up to the challenge. An unannounced palate cleanser with a pineapple flavour made a good introduction to the first main course, which pitted interestingly char-grilled monkfish against another Kerala curry sauce, its slightly vinegary nature making a very enjoyable accompaniment for the fish. After all the pleasing build-up it was disappointing to find that my second main of venison was chewy as well as difficult to cut even with a serrated knife. My troubles were spotted by the ever-attentive staff, the plate taken away and a new dish served acceptably swiftly. This time all was well and the quality of the venison and the, inevitably, Anjou pigeon with the brilliant pumpkin chutney showed what a shame it was that the first effort was not right. Our dessert was first-class, the shrikhand cardamom well-balanced against the sweetness of the black and red berries. An alluring menu put into expert practice with a multiplicity of spicy tastes which always had the palate tingling but were never overdone. Everything was properly professional, from the conception of the menu card to the description of the courses and the confident interaction of the staff with the customer, and in particular the way my troubles with the tenderness of the venison dish - there was no question of my being mistaken, it was simply customers are here to be pleased and so it is paramount for everything to be right for them. We will definitely be back.

Ms/Mrs. Maria M

Disappointing Birthday Celebration
04 December 2016
I think this restaurant has been dining out on Square Meal's high rating for a long time. I booked a table for my wife's birthday. I booked several weeks ago. We waited 7 minutes at the host stand to be seen to. They had no record of the reservation. There was no apology, no attempt to find out why the booking wasn't there. They didn't even want to take our Square Meal reference number. My wife had to insist. The food: - not very tasty. The ingredients were not very fresh. The best example was my lamb which I had for the main course. It must have been prepared from frozen. The texture was like meatloaf. - The portions were very small which made the cafeteria-like presentation of all five of the dishes we ordered even more noticeable. - The decor and staff uniforms looked very shoddy and worn out. I certainly get a more high-end quality feel from the local Indian restaurant I go to in Ealing. This was very disappointing. We went to The Cinnamon Club when it opened and were very impressed. We will not be going there again.

Ms/Mrs. Kumud R

Business and Pleasure
23 May 2016
Having used the venue to both business and personal dinners I found the staff to be extremely accommodating on both occasions making each one a delightful experience. The food was outstanding and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for that something special.

Gail S

Long overdue lunch at The Cinnamon Club
07 December 2015
Having booked The Cinnamon Club for others since its inception, I was delighted to have the opportunity to lunch there with a group of friends last week. All four of us selected food from the set menu, along with four side dishes. Without doubt, the food was delicious, however, the service was extremely disappointing. Once shown to our table, the maitre d' greeted me warmly with a friendly handshake, which contrasted the slightly disdainful welcome I received from the front-of-house staff. We had a lengthy wait before ordering our wine, which was stored away from our table and out of our reach, which resulted in us having empty glasses. Two of our side dishes never arrived, and when this was pointed out to our waiter as he came to collect our empty plates, he asked if we still wanted them. We declined and were extremely frustrated when the two missing side dishes were included on the bill. When I pointed out my disappointment to the maitre d' his apology was accompanied with the bizarre explanation that it was December - the inference being that this was a reason for sub-standard service. Despite the lovely setting and beautiful food, I will continue to simply book The Cinnamon Club for others rather than myself.

Ms/Mrs. Shirley G

Great place for lunch
06 March 2015
Great place to have lunch/dinner if you want to impress your guest.

A treat for business or pleasure
08 February 2015
I dined at the Cinnamon club with a particularly discerning friend back in October 2014. We came with high hopes for our evening; and they were not disappointed. The Club itself is a jewel to behold: dark, softly lit, and oozing opulence. Polite, helpful staff shimmered noiselessly between the cosy pockets of tables before appearing at our service. Nothing was too much trouble for them, and their assistance was reliable and fast. The first-class sommelier proved helpful, charming and polite; as well as an able guide in our choice of wines. The food was nothing short of sublime - small, yet filling portions were the keynote for each course; crafted with satisfying and creative combinations of flavours. Each dish was presented with an impeccable and subtle style - simply pleasing rather than panache. Between the food, one’s eyes are drawn to shelves of antiquarian books which line the walls above. The subtle nuances of architecture have been lovingly preserved – one is spoilt for choice to notice oak carvings between the courses. All in all, a place in which I thought even the most discerning of customers would feel most at home. Book with confidence.

Vanessa C

Awesome private dining experience !
16 October 2014
I dined recently at Cinnamon Club, had booked for private dining with my partner ! It's a perfect luxurious setting- the atmosphere is really nice. The service was good too. I had like to add that their chef has really brought out the Indian flavour and yet kept the British style. Same with its other Cinnamon Sisters ! Going for their High Chai next time, heard that its great !

Ms/Mrs. Pascal L

28 July 2014
I have been to Cinnamon Kitchen a few times so was really looking forward to the Club version. The food was just as incredible but I must admit I prefer the Kitchen because in my opinion the venue has more character. The Club is set in a superb library but I found it a tad too formal and quiet. Again, this is my opinion so I would recommend to try both and make up your own. One thing is certain, you won't be disappointed!

Ms/Mrs. Rebecca L

21 July 2014
The Cinnamon Club is one of my favourite restaurants in London and absolutely the best Indian food I've had in the UK. We had the tasting menu which was just so brilliantly executed. Every dish was standout and you felt like every dish had been designed, cooked and presented to be a winning dish. The highlight for me was a delicious tandoori pigeon which I wholeheartely recommend. The surroundings, an old library, are beautiful and the staff are perfect – a great balance between formal and friendly. Very highly recommended for special occasions.

Other restaurants near The Cinnamon Club

You are requesting to book The Cinnamon Club for people on at .