SquareMeal Review of The Cinnamon Club

Despite expanding his ‘Cinnamon’ brand and his portfolio, Indian celeb chef Vivek Singh hasn’t taken his eye off the ball here in Westminster. Cinnamon Club remains the mothership and still hums with an influential hotchpotch of politicians, lobbyists, hacks and opinion formers.

A recent refurb improved the interiors while still referencing the grand old library premises, and Singh’s authentic but contemporary cooking remains consistently delicious. This is modern Indian dining at its best and readers love it: “faultless food, never disappoints”, cheers one fan. We’re also enamoured of the “wonderful setting and stunning flavours” and have enjoyed countless hits, from tandoori octopus with fennel salad to fenugreek-infused roast cod with curry leaf and lime crumble.

Textures and contrasts also make an impact: seared sea bass comes with luscious red lentils, coconut ginger sauce and crisp puffed buckwheat, roast saddle of lamb has saffron sauce and pickled root vegetables for company, and rice vermicelli partners wild king prawns flavoured with mango and coriander. To finish, France meets India in irresistible desserts such as lemon and ginger brûlée with masala-spiced sablé biscuits. The fact that sommeliers are on hand to guide diners through the wine list says a great deal about this supremely accomplished Indian destination.

Good to know about The Cinnamon Club

Reviews of The Cinnamon Club

Ms/Mrs. Maria M

Disappointing Birthday Celebration
04 December 2016
I think this restaurant has been dining out on Square Meal's high rating for a long time. I booked a table for my wife's birthday. I booked several weeks ago. We waited 7 minutes at the host stand to be seen to. They had no record of the reservation. There was no apology, no attempt to find out why the booking wasn't there. They didn't even want to take our Square Meal reference number. My wife had to insist. The food: - not very tasty. The ingredients were not very fresh. The best example was my lamb which I had for the main course. It must have been prepared from frozen. The texture was like meatloaf. - The portions were very small which made the cafeteria-like presentation of all five of the dishes we ordered even more noticeable. - The decor and staff uniforms looked very shoddy and worn out. I certainly get a more high-end quality feel from the local Indian restaurant I go to in Ealing. This was very disappointing. We went to The Cinnamon Club when it opened and were very impressed. We will not be going there again.

Ms/Mrs. Kumud R

Business and Pleasure
23 May 2016
Having used the venue to both business and personal dinners I found the staff to be extremely accommodating on both occasions making each one a delightful experience. The food was outstanding and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for that something special.

Gail S

Long overdue lunch at The Cinnamon Club
07 December 2015
Having booked The Cinnamon Club for others since its inception, I was delighted to have the opportunity to lunch there with a group of friends last week. All four of us selected food from the set menu, along with four side dishes. Without doubt, the food was delicious, however, the service was extremely disappointing. Once shown to our table, the maitre d' greeted me warmly with a friendly handshake, which contrasted the slightly disdainful welcome I received from the front-of-house staff. We had a lengthy wait before ordering our wine, which was stored away from our table and out of our reach, which resulted in us having empty glasses. Two of our side dishes never arrived, and when this was pointed out to our waiter as he came to collect our empty plates, he asked if we still wanted them. We declined and were extremely frustrated when the two missing side dishes were included on the bill. When I pointed out my disappointment to the maitre d' his apology was accompanied with the bizarre explanation that it was December - the inference being that this was a reason for sub-standard service. Despite the lovely setting and beautiful food, I will continue to simply book The Cinnamon Club for others rather than myself.

Ms/Mrs. Shirley G

Great place for lunch
06 March 2015
Great place to have lunch/dinner if you want to impress your guest.

A treat for business or pleasure
08 February 2015
I dined at the Cinnamon club with a particularly discerning friend back in October 2014. We came with high hopes for our evening; and they were not disappointed. The Club itself is a jewel to behold: dark, softly lit, and oozing opulence. Polite, helpful staff shimmered noiselessly between the cosy pockets of tables before appearing at our service. Nothing was too much trouble for them, and their assistance was reliable and fast. The first-class sommelier proved helpful, charming and polite; as well as an able guide in our choice of wines. The food was nothing short of sublime - small, yet filling portions were the keynote for each course; crafted with satisfying and creative combinations of flavours. Each dish was presented with an impeccable and subtle style - simply pleasing rather than panache. Between the food, one’s eyes are drawn to shelves of antiquarian books which line the walls above. The subtle nuances of architecture have been lovingly preserved – one is spoilt for choice to notice oak carvings between the courses. All in all, a place in which I thought even the most discerning of customers would feel most at home. Book with confidence.

Vanessa C

Awesome private dining experience !
16 October 2014
I dined recently at Cinnamon Club, had booked for private dining with my partner ! It's a perfect luxurious setting- the atmosphere is really nice. The service was good too. I had like to add that their chef has really brought out the Indian flavour and yet kept the British style. Same with its other Cinnamon Sisters ! Going for their High Chai next time, heard that its great !

Ms/Mrs. Pascal L

28 July 2014
I have been to Cinnamon Kitchen a few times so was really looking forward to the Club version. The food was just as incredible but I must admit I prefer the Kitchen because in my opinion the venue has more character. The Club is set in a superb library but I found it a tad too formal and quiet. Again, this is my opinion so I would recommend to try both and make up your own. One thing is certain, you won't be disappointed!

Ms/Mrs. Rebecca L

21 July 2014
The Cinnamon Club is one of my favourite restaurants in London and absolutely the best Indian food I've had in the UK. We had the tasting menu which was just so brilliantly executed. Every dish was standout and you felt like every dish had been designed, cooked and presented to be a winning dish. The highlight for me was a delicious tandoori pigeon which I wholeheartely recommend. The surroundings, an old library, are beautiful and the staff are perfect – a great balance between formal and friendly. Very highly recommended for special occasions.

Ms/Mrs. Victoria T

04 April 2014
The restaurant was all round excellent. We had the tasting menu which contained a lot of meat and fish. One of our party was a vegetarian with a wheat allergy and the restaurant substituted suitable and equally delicious dishes without a murmur. There was an outstanding pigeon dish and an equally delicious venison dish but everything was lovely and each course came with a glass of wine which went well with the food. It is a real showcase for how spices can be used to enhance food rather than smother it. The service was perfect. There was no rushing us and we were there from 7 to 11. The restaurant was busy and buzzy but not too noisy. It was pricey but definitely worth it.

Ms/Mrs. gowsia H

17 March 2014
Excellent Indian food with an innovative twist. Every item we ordered was superb. Great service and even a nice drinks menu. In my opinion it is better than Benares.

Other restaurants near The Cinnamon Club