Roux at The Landau

Modern European

SquareMeal Review of Roux at The Landau

Roux at the Landau, The Langham hotel’s more formal, food-orientated option than its Artesian bar and Wigmore pub, re-opened in summer 2018 following a refurb. David Collins Studio has done a subtle update on the high-ceilinged Edwardian room, adding Parma Violet-coloured leather chairs and pistachio green banquettes. A curving wall of windows in an elevated position above Langham Place remains the dining room’s biggest asset; there’s also now a central counter for solo dining, although without an open kitchen to eat around, it feels rather exposed.

Foodwise, the cooking has been simplified, although Roux luxury – Michel Jr oversees the menu – runs like a vein through the menu: XL Orkney scallop comes with oscietra caviar, braised turbot with native lobster ravioli. But there’s invention, too: seared foie gras is partnered by rabbit and pig’s trotters on toast, with pickled veg to cut through all the richness, while a Lake District lamb chop gets a North African accent with a dusting of ras en hanout. As at Michel’s Le Gavroche, there’s a good-value lunch menu (two/three courses £25/30), or a five-course tasting menu for £35, as well as à la carte.

It’s still a very hotel-feeling space, but that does make it a useful spot for breakfast and lunch meetings, while afternoon tea is served in the neighbouring Palm Court. And come the evening, it’s well placed for moving on to drinks at Artesian or The Wigmore.

Good to know about Roux at The Landau

Opening Times of Roux at The Landau

Mon-Sat 7am-10.30am (Sat -12N) 12N-2.30pm 5.30-10.30pm Sun 7am-12N 12.30-3pm

Reviews of Roux at The Landau

Ms/Mrs. Hilary D

Great for a business lunch
15 February 2019
My husband took 2 clients for lunch for the first time to Roux at the Landau and was very impressed. Great service, fantastic food, extensive wine list and thoroughly enjoyed by both him and his clients- will be back!

Ms/Mrs. Valerie M

You can always rely on a Roux
20 December 2018
This is my 5th or 6th meal at this restaurant and it never disappoints. We went for a small tasting menu (6 courses) and each one were delicious. Personally I'd have preferred just one desert rather than 3 (including cheese), but that is a preference issue and I really enjoyed the whole meal.

Ms/Mrs. Valerie M

Always an excellent experience
07 June 2018
The Roux brothers really know how to run their restaurants and to provide the best all round experience for their customers, and this restaurant is no exception. The food is just superb - the best that French fine dining has to offer (only surpassed by Le Gavroche and The Waterside). I always know I can just relax and enjoy when I visit one of their restaurants. Of particular note, the seasonal lamb was simply melt in the mouth and delicious.

Mr. Mark B

29 July 2014
All round great with my only complaint being a lack of vegetables with the superb plaice (a potato and a wilted leaf!). Excellent country pate to start, and lovely panna cotta dessert, with a delightful amuse bouche to start and really good petits fours to finish. Service was exemplary. We will return!

21 March 2014
Had a really lovely meal at Roux, I got the meal through the square meal rewards which meant we had the 3 courses, wine, water, coffee and petit fours. The food selection even on the Du Jour menu was really good and all the food came out presented very well and tasted delicious. Unlike some restaurants the food was substantial enough to fill up myself and my boyfriend. What ‘made’ the meal was the exceptional service of the staff, they were highly attentive and made the whole dining experience even more of a pleasure!! I would recommend going to Roux even for the Du Jour set menu which normally costs £45 per person but still gives you the roux experience.

Ms/Mrs. Lisa H

Quality Not Quantity!
10 February 2014
This is a beautiful restaurant in an equally beautiful hotel. The staff are extremely courteous and helpful. My friend and I arrived early to enjoy a drink in one of the bars prior to dinner. The Landau doesn't have its own bar, so you need to use either the Palm Court or Artesian. The Artesian was bursting at the seams by 6pm when we arrived but the bar manager offered and then managed to find us a table in the Palm Court, where we stayed for drinks until our reservation at 7pm. The Landau was already busy by 7pm and had a nice atmosphere. Not stuffy or half empty like a lot of hotel restaurants. The staff were attentive and efficient. We decided to have the taster menu with accompanying wines. This was 5 courses and each one was delicious. The only thing I would say is that the size of each portion was extremely small. I know when you have the taster menu, the portions are smaller, but these were extremely small. The first two courses, no bigger than large canapés. This would be my only criticism to what was otherwise a delightful meal. I also liked the fact that there was no turn around on the table and we were left to enjoy our evening for as long as we wanted.

Ms/Mrs. Ella C

05 September 2013
The food was excellent as always! As was the service and attention to details. I would definitely recommend Roux at the Landau, and will be returning again myself!

Ms/Mrs. Joanne P

Fabulous Venue
07 March 2013
I booked the Postillion Private Dining Room for a dinner for 16 people. The dining room is stunningly beautiful. The food is excellent! As is the service and attention to details. All the guests had a wonder time at this amazing venue. I would definitely recommend Roux at the Landau to family, friends and business acquaintances.

Mr. Tim Z

25 January 2013
Let's start with the only real draw-back – it's a hotel restaurant lacking atmoshpere (as so many of them do) and on most nights it'll be part empty. Having said that, the food is very good and solid service. Not one for a romantic cosy dinner but good choice for business lunch or dinner

Ms/Mrs. Kirsty A

17 December 2012
Got to use my square meal points to have lunch at this fabulous restaurant. It was every bit as good as we had hoped. The dining room was very traditional and had a very relaxed feel to it. The Christmas set menu gave you a variety of choice, the salmon and venison were beautifully cooked and fantastic presentation. It was great also that we picked that Michel Roux Jr was in having lunch. Highly recommended and cant wait to get my next 3000 points!

Other restaurants near Roux at The Landau