The Delaunay

Modern European

About The Delaunay

Like its sibling The Wolseley, this "lovely buzzy restaurant" bears all the hallmarks of a Corbin & King success story, from "spot-on" service to please-all cooking for a big-city crowd. No wonder The Delaunay has become a perennial favourite on all counts: the welcome is "always friendly" and the David Collins interior "impresses straightaway" with its glossy dark wood, gleaming brass and polished stone floors. There's an "old-school Viennese" vibe here, so expect to find wiener schnitzel, choucroute and rich borscht, as well as traditional dishes from elsewhere in Europe such as chicken Kiev and the ever-popular kedgeree. Tempting patisserie and viennoiserie – including an exemplary sachertorte – are worth a visit alone: luckily the adjoining Counter at The Delaunay sells many of these goodies to go. We urge you to book ahead for the phenomenally popular pre-theatre slot, or start your day in splendid fashion with a gut-busting breakfast. In short, "a great London institution".

Good to know about The Delaunay

Opening Times of The Delaunay

Mon- Fri 7am-11pm Sat 8am-11pm Sun 9am-10pm

Reviews of The Delaunay

12 March 2018

Arrived and were offered the option of sitting at the booked table or having a drink at the bar. We chose to sit at the table and have a drink. We weren't rushed at all, which is what you want from a good restaurant. My friends and selected our starters and chose to share amongst ourselves. The staff offered us additional plates so that we could share the starters. We each chose one. We chose the Monkfish as a main. This was very well cooked and tasted really good. The waitress wasn't ofay with the wines we were asking about and offered us the opportunity to taste one of the two wines. The wine we tasted didn’t seem the right fit for the food so I took a punt on the other wine which hit the spot. Ideally speaking to a sommelier would have been useful but we weren’t offered that option. Over all food good, service good but a little pricey. Highly recommend the Monkfish but drink red because of the pesto and garlic sauce not white.

08 March 2018

I have been to the Delaunay previously did not have a good experience (sea bass food poisoning that was subsequently blamed on the norovirus)!! However, I was willing to give this restaurant another chance and I am glad that I did. For starters we tried the mushroom soup - which was absolutely delicious, right texture, full of flavor, my only criticism was that it was a tad too hot. We then tried the paprika chicken for two which was worth waiting for as the chicken was tender and again full of flavor - the vegetables were also nicely cooked. Overall the food was good, however the service was something that stood out for us. The door man was very polite, the check in girls were friendly and took our coats with minimal fuss. A quiet table was located for us - which is quite difficult as the restaurant was full and very noisy. The waiter was very knowledgeable and keen to assist us with our choices, he was friendly and service was relatively quick. The price was reasonable for two courses, including coffee and a glass of wine - £45 per head which was definitely good value for money for an enjoyable dinner.

24 February 2018

Our first visit to a busy restaurant at lunch today. Disappointingly our table wasn't ready when we turned up on time for our reservation, and we were pointed in the direction of the bar ( we didn't want drinks pre-lunch) so we wouldn't get in the way. I did have to remind the greeters of our presence which seemed to arouse some sarcasm. Fortunately after that the service we received was uniformly decent. Sadly we both found the food well below par. I left part of my wild mushroom soup which had little flavour and a gloopy texture. The main course of beef stroganoff was quite unlike any version of this dish I'd had before and again was very short of flavour. My wife's plaice goujons /frites weren't at all exciting either. The place itself was pleasant apart from the fact that it was extremely noisy as some others note. Our bill for 2 courses each and a pleasant bottle of Luberon from the lower end of the list came to £102. We don't think that was good value because the food was uniformly mundane. I think this Brasserie will appeal to people who want a particular sort of buzzy ambiance, and prioritise this over well-cooked and interesting food. Certainly the place was packed to an extent that it's apparent that some people like it. But neither the ambiance and especially the food were to our taste and its unlikely that we 'll trouble them again.

14 November 2017

When a dessert is served to the table by a woman in a white coat, it is clear a restaurant takes their craft seriously and it is wise not to skip this course. This was certainly true at The Delaunay where the Austrian influenced desserts taste as delightful as they look. A Black Forest gateaux filled with luxuriously rich chocolate mouse and a light sponge soaked in just the right amount of kirsch. I could go on but I’m not Paul Hollywood. The staff at The Delaunay match the wow factor of the desserts. My husband considered the dish of the day but didn’t like the sides and the waiter instinctively knew what he would prefer, Friendly, fun and considerate, nothing was too much trouble. We were celebrating a mile stone anniversary and The Delaunay was the perfect setting; dark wood panelled walls reminiscent of our honeymoon on the Orient Express, crisp white linen tablecloths, champagne glasses straight from the set of the Great Gatsby. The food is the impeccable quality expected from Corbin & King restaurants, simple, elegant and packed with flavour. Chicken Kiev bursting with garlic butter, plump mackerel fillets contrast with a citric salad. Thank you to The Delaunay for a memorable celebration.

25 July 2017

The Delaunay is named after the prestigious French automobile marque of the early 20th Century that carried the proud name of Delaunay-Belleville. These cars were the epitome of luxury and craftsmanship in their day and among proud owners were the King of Spain and the last Tsar of Russia. They were not showy machines but ones that purred with efficiency and grace. This restaurant lives up to the name in terms of both craftsmanship and excellence. The food is not dependent on culinary contrivance but on high quality produce. Natural flavours are enhanced and not hidden under unnecessary spices or pretentious sauces. The Delaunay lives by the axiom that simplicity is at the core of true elegance. The dishes are those solid and timeless staples of a Europe to which Britain belonged and always will: pot-roast guinay fowl, lamb, roast cod, kedgeree, sea bass with kale, goujons of plaice, sausages, schnitzels, beef stroganoff. All are wonderfully cooked and nurture body and soul. The Delaunay is a large restaurant and is invariably busy and full. This makes the outstanding service all the more remarkable. The staff could not be friendlier and you will feel warmly welcomed from the moment you come through the door. The staff always finds time for conversation, for a funny remark, for an expression of personality. One is cocooned in an atmosphere of relaxed, warm-hearted and competent elegance. I have been to The Delaunay for breakfast, lunch, dinner and after the theatre. I have done so frequently over the years. I have never had any but a very enjoyable experience. This is a restaurant that lifts the spirits and speaks of a courteous and kind Europe of unpretentious good food and great style. Long may that Europe, and its very representative Delaunay, continue to thrive.. Bravo!

Other restaurants near The Delaunay

You are requesting to book The Delaunay for people on at