SquareMeal Review of Zumbura

As co-founders of the furniture retailer Dwell, it’s no surprise that the brains behind this new Indian restaurant-cum-cocktail bar have invested it with a real eye for detail. From the stunning five-metre oak bar (cut from a single tree) to drinks such as a zingy, Aperol-based negroni, first impressions of the bijou site bode well. Bare-brick walls and refurbished industrial chairs add to the handsome look, so settle in for food that combines Indian home-style recipes from the owner’s mum with professional polish, courtesy of ex-Benares chef Raju Rawat. Everything arrives on small sharing plates, from excellent, creamy and crunchy chaat and spiced mince patties to marinated lamb chops, pollock curry spiked with fenugreek and karela (bitter gourd with lentils). Just add cheery service and a lively buzz, and you’ve got the makings of a real winner.

Good to know about Zumbura

Indian

Location for Zumbura

36a Old Town, London, SW4 0LB

Opening Times of Zumbura

Mon-Sat 12N-3pm 6-10pm (Thurs-Sat -10.30pm)

Reviews of Zumbura

Lively indian tapas-style Clapham restaurant
24 September 2017
I'm surprised there's no recent review on this 3-year old lively Indian joint. We ate as a group of 4 and had both specials - grilled prawns and calamari, plus spiced lamb chops, lentil dhall, peas, okra and roast chicken pieces; all hot fresh, tasty. Bottle of spicy Riesling at £32 was reasonable. it is a small place and the noise does reverberate. A filling meal for 2 came out at £70 which was good value.

Madison C

Zumbura
09 September 2014
Let me start this review by saying what a special restaurant Zumbura is. Nestled in a pretty, quiet street in Clapham Old Town, this restaurant is vibrantly alive with colour and flavour. Zumbura is a new restaurant that serves up food local to the Purab region in North East India. Whilst the ambiance gives of an edgier, soho-ish vibe; the food and flavours transport you to India. What is distinctive is the healthy nature of all of the food, it is flavoursome without being overpowering and over-oiled. Zumbura has assumed a tapas-style form whereby diners choose from an assortment of mini plates ( on average £6-£7 each) and indulge in an Indian feast. Now as a North Londoner I very rarely venture down to Clapham, so naturally as I came out of the tube everything was a bit alien to me. There was a distinct trendy-village vibe going on, which I know sounds like an oxymoron but thats really how it felt. Walking into Zumbura the trendy side is really alive. With a bright turquoise wall off set by bricks and a 5 metre oak bar, this is no village restaurant. The owners were also the co-founders of Dwell furniture store, so it is no surprise that the place is superbly decorated. They thought of everything right down to the hodge podge/ mix and match plates and serving bowls. We started our meal with the chaat which was a plate of chickpeas coated in yogurt, crisp breads and a tangy tamarind sauce ( £4.50). It was a gorgeous explosion of flavours that were all equally balanced and the perfect way to start our meal. The next two dishes to arrive were the Tallee Machli (£8) and the Sikkiwe Chops (£8). The Talle Machli was a fish dish where the fish was succulent,smooth and melted on the tip of your tongue. I enjoyed this dish but it was nothing in comparison to the Sikkiwe Chops, this was our favourite dish. A simple dish in essence: twice marinated lamb chops, but not simple in flavour. They were perfectly cooked and all I can say is I wish there was more!! We then indulged in my second favourite dish which was Murghi ka Salan (£7.50) which was a home style chicken curry, cooked on the bone. There was so much flavour and the chicken fell off the bone as it was perfectly cooked. The sauce is rich but not overpowering which is why it was so enjoyable. We paired the chicken with Daal (£4) a lentil dish which was a watery consistency making it very light, although a texture we weren't expecting as well as a portion of Parval (£5) and side of Muttar Pula rice (£3.50). The parval was recommended to us, and the recommendation was spot on! For those of you not familiar with parval it is braised pointed gourd with crunchy seeds, and it was just the perfect vegetable accompaniment to this meal. We finished our meal with a pot of fresh mint tea and two small desserts. We had initially only ordered one, the Gajjar Ka Halwa (£3.5) which is a warm carrot dessert, but were then advised to try the Kheer (£3), a cold rice pudding dessert. We definitely preferred the Kheer as the Gajjar Ka Halwa was more of an acquired taste. Lastly let me talk about the cocktails! As amazing as the food was, the cocktails 100% held their own with an exquisitely unique menu. We tried 3 different ones, the first was the Fruity Wallah (£7). This was Zumbura's take on a mojito, and it was better then any original I had ever tasted, fruity and delicious this was a special cocktail that I can't quite say I have ever had anything like as it was stirred with chaat masala. For those of you who read my blog, you will know I am a huge tea fan, so it is no surprise that our next cocktail was a Himalayan Ice Tea (£7) which had a combination of earl grey and jasmine tea infused into the rum based cocktail. It was a subtle taste, but it complimented the food well and I would order again and again. Lastly we were told to try the Molly Moo Moo (£7) as this was the most popular cocktail. We enjoyed its raspberry fruity flavours but I think we agreed our favourite was they Himalayan Ice Tea. There were so many more dishes on the menu that I am already planning my next trip to Zumbura to try everything! This is a restaurant that should not be missed, whether you are keen on Indian cuisine or not, the restaurant is packed with colour and flavour that makes for the perfect culinary excursion. Check out their website for more information and a more detailed menu.

Mr. Sebastien F

Zumbura Clapham Common
24 October 2013
Got to say, I was really impressed with this place! The menu is full of yummy things and I wanted to order them all! For an Indian, its so authentic and nothing like a takeaway! For me it was more like Lebanese cuisine (but not, if you get me!), lots of small taster dishes which were very reasonably priced. Staff were smiley and attentive and the decor, chic but cosy. Cocktails! Fabulous Definately worth a visit!

Other restaurants near Zumbura

You are requesting to book Zumbura for people on at