British

SquareMeal Review of Tramshed

Curious passers-by peer through the window to catch a glimpse of Damien Hirst’s ‘Cock and Bull’ installation housed in chef/art collector Mark Hix’s Tramshed. They should brave it and go on in; allcomers are welcome at this cavernous industrial space where Hix serves seriously sourced chicken and steak – crowd-pleasers both – to solo diners at the bar, rowdy parties in capacious booths, and everyone in between. In less capable hands, Tramshed would be a fail-safe ‘yawn’ of a concept, but Hix’s menu goes beyond salt-aged Glenarm beef and roast barn-reared chooks into lively international territory. To wit, whipped chicken livers served with an enormous duck-fat Yorkshire pud (as a British alternative to brioche), American-style bone-in rib and slaw, a fearsomely hot curry, and a no-airs-and-graces raspberry cheesecake – not that anything will lure the lunchtime crowd away from their steak sandwiches. Wines and cocktails are credible rather than posey.

Good to know about Tramshed

Event Party Venue

Location for Tramshed

32 Rivington Street, London, EC2A 3LX

Opening Times of Tramshed

Mon-Fri 11.30am-11pm (Mon -9.30pm Tues -10pm) Sat-Sun 11am-11pm (Sun -7pm)

Reviews of Tramshed

Hollie F

Always such a fun buzzy vibe!
26 October 2015
I always have a great evening in the Tramshed, its buzzy, big and always packed out! such a good night out and the cocktails are some of the best!

Expected better meat
17 August 2015
The atmosphere and the deco of the Tramshed is great. It's got a nice lively atmosphere. We ordered the buttermilk chicken and cock n' bull croquettes for starters. The chicken wasn't anything special and lacked flavour. The croquettes were delicious and not too cheesy. The steak wasn't what I was expecting at all. I pointed to the steak that I wanted which someone else had ordered. I checked with the waitress to ask if that was the juiciest steak they had in terms of thickness, yet she recommended me something completely different and not what I wanted at all! I was very disappointed, and the steak was average. Nothing special. The cocktails were incredible, with amazing flavours. They ended up being the most expensive thing on our bill, and the best. There are better meat restaurants in London. Shame.

Ms/Mrs. Charlotte H

I love Tramshed
06 April 2015
My boyfriend and I went to the Tramshed for dinner and it was amazing, we had the best steak we had ever eaten and the atmosphere was comfortable and relaxed. The desserts we also amazing. It was excellent value for money for the amazing meal. I will definately return.

Mr. mark F

A terrible mistake
16 March 2015
Beautiful room ruined by cold food, poor service and long waiting time for the food. After two visits with equally poor service and food - I definitely recommend you don't go. Additional Chips are £6.95!!!! Incredible rip off.

Ms/Mrs. Katarina S

Great restaurant, unique setting
23 January 2015
Great food, great service and what a building!!

Mr. Brian D

Tuesday lunch
26 February 2014
I was taking out a team of people who had just successfully completed a new building for my company which went very well and finished on time – so I wanted them to enjoy themselves. We allowed the young lady architect to pick the restaurant and she had always wanted to come here but couldn't afford to on her own account. The restaurant is quite tucked away on the street with a recessed entrance – I passed it twice looking for the postal address then almost fell into it by chance! Despite the volume of the space, the room was warm and inviting and the seating perfect for six. Our group had become friends having worked together for two years, so conversation wasn't a problem and fortunately there was no loud music in the background to disturb normal speech. The pretty waitress soon revealed that she not only knew every detail of the menu but how each dish was prepared, then went on to demonstrate her knowledge of the wines. When asked for her own recommendations she gave her honest opinions and not the most expensive items on the list. Service was quick – probably due to the Tuesday lunch slot being pretty quiet – but we were intrigued to see our starters arrive, as their descriptions on the menu had one or two twists – a little bit different. Mains were a choice of steaks or chicken – we all went for steaks. Again our young adviser guided us to the perfect choice of cooking – medium well for this cut of beef but medium rare for another. Everyone was satisfied with their choice. The dessert menu was rather cryptic again but well-received when served. The wine chosen by our friend cost £30 per bottle against £23 for the house red (somehow I couldn't bring myself to order “tramshed red”) but really good value for a Rioja. The bill worked out at £70 each including the discretionary 12.5% tip – which I was pleased to pay. None of us had seen the Damien Hirst cow with chicken before but, as construction people, our interest was more taken by the original condition of the old tramshed. A really good meal in good company with excellent service and surroundings – we'll certainly be back!

David P

Mixed bag
02 February 2014
The service is funky and fun and the food delivers exactly what it says on the tin but our visit for Saturday lunch was marred by loud and out of control kids. I am not anti-kids in restaurants but two who were old enough to know a lot better and parents who apparently believe in complete freedom of expression for their offspring don't make for great lunch neighbours. When raised with the server she said she was worried that they were running around with no shoes and socks on in a place with plenty of sharp knives etc. Not a lot of change from £200 for 3 people for lunch so I would have expected better. I'm afraid that not even the wonderful chicken liver pate made up for the disturbance.

Maria B

Tramshed - WOW
09 May 2013
What a find… This was my first visit to Tramshed and I will definitely be going again. The food and service were excellent and the ambience was amazing

Mr. Peter C

04 November 2012
Conclusion I like restaurants that specialise in one or two dishes but i think they either needs to be well priced or dammmmnn good food but unfortunately Tramshed was neither. We had a fun evening with our friends and glad we tried it but there are better places in East London to go and will not rush back. Breif Overview Place – good decor, bustling, interesting building and cool Damian Hurst centre piece. Who to go with – Friends, on a first date, work/social group Who not to go with – Grandma, Grandpa, vegans, veggies, students, Fussy people, squeamish people Distance i would travel – 10-20 mins for the first visit and 5 mins for the second Food – Nothing to shout about but it was good Drinks – well stocked bar, cocktails served and made well, wine list was good, maybe drinks are priced a little high for east london Value – Not so good :( Dishes in Depth – What we ate Starters – you have choice of three which change daily Mammouth Yorkshire Pud with a side dish of of creamy Cauliflower purée dipping sauce – perfectly made, great combination, more sauce next time please Mixed mushroom and artichoke heart salad, Well cooked and seasoned, good flavour. Main Course – Chicken or Beef sir? 500g Sirloin Steak 40£ – for two to share – it was okay but its the same price as a Goodmans' steak GIVE ME GOODMANS please (although chips, gravy and sauce come free at Tramshed so not a fair comparison) Chicken £25 – for two to share, juicy, tasty, nice skin. Next time i want Whole chicken though ill pop to Nandos for the no frills £11.95 or ill check out Soho house, The Chicken shop at £14.95 Desert Raspberry Ripple cheesecake – tasty Apple Pie with custard – yummy custard in separate jug and tasty pud

Ms/Mrs. Anu W

01 October 2012
We came to Tramshed full of expectations but were bitterly disappointed. We were part of a gourmet experience where we only had one course at Tramshed and the other 2 courses in different restaurants. The course we had was below average however it was the atrocious service which really let it down. They were inflexible with our order and we were not permitted to order any additonal drinks etc. The coffee was served very late and very cold and the cups were practically thrown at us by a stroppy waitress who was put out by us asking for the coffee in the first place. The service made us incredibly uncomfortable and our party of 4 wanted to leave as soon as possible. The whole experience stood out even more as the other two restaurants we went to were exceptional.

Other restaurants near Tramshed

You are requesting to book Tramshed for people on at