The Wolseley

Afternoon tea, Modern European

SquareMeal Review of The Wolseley

“The daddy of them all” declares a fan of The Wolseley – and he’s not alone in cheering this “rather posh” grand café to the skies. Whether you’re here for the all-conquering breakfast, afternoon tea or a late-night pick-me-up, the barnstorming Wolseley always delivers – “it doesn’t matter what you look like, you’ll get treated like a VIP”. The sheer razzmatazz of the fabulously converted car showroom is part of its attraction, as regulars seek out their favourite tables, others mingle in anterooms and a regular trickle of walk-in celebs, creatives and shoppers adds to the spice of it all. To begin, you might find yourself dusting off the cobwebs over a bowl of Birchermuesli, a crispy bacon roll or a full fry-up; later on, thoughts could turn to steak tartare, salade niçoise, burgers, schnitzels or coq au vin – and there’s never a bad time for the Wolseley’s luscious array of creamy patisserie, cakes and ice-cream coupes. Service is always “top-notch” too. In short, The Wolseley is the complete West End package, and we concur with the reader who remarks that “I always come away with my high expectations satisfied and met”.

Ayala female chef series Ayala female chef series

Good to know about The Wolseley

Private Group Dining

Location for The Wolseley

160 Piccadilly, London, W1J 9EB

Opening Times of The Wolseley

Mon-Sun 7am-11pm (Sat-Sun 8am- )

Reviews of The Wolseley

Early dinner
21 October 2016
It was a great meal but disappointed not to be told in advance of the booking that the lunch and dinner menu were not available at the time of my booking and only bar snacks available.

Ms/Mrs. Carol C

Don't wear black!
02 August 2016
The Wolseley's reputation for being somewhere 'special' still holds. We were two ladies, one visiting from overseas, out for a nice lunch and catch-up after a long time! The ambiance is still good, but I'd forgotten how 'noisy' it is when busy - and struggled to hear my friend's conversation amid the excitable buzz and the closeness of the tables. The starter of cod goujons with tartare sauce was beautifully cooked and a good size portion! My friend's 'fish of the day' choice was lovely, my calves-liver and onions was rich and tasty. (The waitress forgot to remind us to order 'sides' but we remembered fries & mash just before she left with the order). Too full for dessert, we both just had a cappuccino coffee. We needed assistance to extract ourselves from behind the heavy table tucking us into the corner - a male waiter eventually helped after finishing taking payment from the nearby table. When we stood up, we both found our clothes covered in white fluffy-lint from the napkins! Maybe a choice of black napkins could be a good idea to offer in the future? That really would show attention to detail!

Mr. Kieran K

Beware
30 December 2015
Warning: diners are allotted 1½ hours for a meal and whether you are finished or not you'll be thrown out. That happened to us at lunch and we had to leave even though we still had a third of a bottle of wine left (a £42 bottle of Morgon!) and had yet to order our desserts. This, despite them taking 20 minutes to seat us even though we had reservations. They seem more interested in getting people out to make way for high-volume, fast throughput teas aimed at tourists (presumably they offer higher margins). It isn't what it used to be. Shame. Another restaurant to cross off the list.

Ms/Mrs. Rebecca L

Fabulous afternoon tea at a very reasonable price
28 September 2015
I've been here twice for afternoon tea now and each time it's been excellent. The atmosphere and surroundings are super buzzy and fun for people watching. The selection and quality of cakes and sandwiches is excellent and overall value for money is fantastic.Staff are always pleasant. Highly recommended!

David H

Quote from my wife "Don't understnad why this place is so full"
23 April 2015
I've tried before to book a lunch here, unsuccessful because maybe I was too "last minute" or too weekend focussed. Still I managed to snag a table for a late lunch today . They were ready for us and we were taken straight to our table in a large and nicely presented dining room. Indeed right through the meal the service was prompt and polite, though we rapidly came to recognise the truth in the reviews that indicared space was tight- the next table was inches, not feet away. Its a big menu in a distinctly "brasserie" style, which to me means that there was lots of choice of fairly traditional and simple food. Nothing complicated, nothing innovative, nothing that takes too much time to make or carries too much risk. If I say that I had Soupe de Poissons , we both chose liver & bacon, and my wife ate a fruit crumble for dessert you'll get my drift. Everything we ate was OK. Sadly nothing was wonderful, magical, or even unusually good. Its not a cheap restaurant and we'd sort of hoped that they'd found a way of making traditional meals into something more special, but alas not. I mentioned prices. Our decently-sized portions of liver & bacon were £22.50 each, which we thought was rather expensive and clearly contributed to our hopes that this would be the liver to beat all livers. It then became clear that potatoes and veg were extra and so each plate of liver was now just shy of £27. Plus cover charge plus service. Our two courses each, a drink each and one coffee added up to £104. This left us with a feeling that they were charging a lot for perfectly edible but rather ordinary food, and that there are quite a few starred restaurants not far away where we can and do eat three courses of more interesting and complex food and a bottle for about the same money at lunch. And yet the place is packed and its hard to get a table. Not all of these people can be totally unaware that they could get more interesting food nearby for the same or less. As my wife said, more than once " I just don't understand why this place is so full." I couldn't give her an answer. Maybe its just not our sort of place. Thirty years or more ago there was a lot less choice and more restaurants like this. Maybe we just moved on. Pleased we've been, liked the place and the buzz. Food and value not good enough to tempt us back I'm afraid.

Ms/Mrs. gowsia H

All day restaurant
04 April 2015
Lively venue in a good location. Wonderful all day menu. Attentive but not overbearing service. Price is not too high and the portions are generous. lovely interior. Can dress up or down.

Mr. Andy M

Stylish venue, excellent service.
18 March 2015
Visited with my wife intending to have a fancy afternoon tea at this genuinely old-fashioned venue but changed our minds at the last minute to opt for dinner. Staff took it all in their stride without a fuss and sat us down right on time. Food was very good and tasted sublime with the pan roasted lamb, a generous and very tender slab of meat, and a more than generous portion of moules both worth noting. Our waiter was cheerful and professional and although we didn’t feel rushed in any way, we managed 3 courses in little more than an hour giving us time to go on to our later plans with ease. Will definitely return to finally sample tea!

Mr. Stuart C

21 April 2014
The Wolseley is one of those restaurants to which I return 3 or 4 times a year and, when I do, I always wonder why I left it so long. A chilled glass of Champagne in the cosy bar is a great way to start and then enjoy the cracking atmosphere, whether it's lunch time or evening. The staff are always very helpful and friendly, something that cannot always be said of Mayfair restaurants. A prime example is when we had booked a table for 3 which became a 4 and without bating an eyelid, the maitre d' brought an extra chair despite the fact that the restaurant was heaving. The food is always superb and fancier dishes are complemented by staples such as omelette, eggs benedict and crumble. There is something for everyone and it won't max out your credit card. Recommended for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Ms/Mrs. Kumud R

16 April 2014
Hard to get a booking at times but definitely worth trying for cancellations. Breakfast is exceptional.

Ms/Mrs. Brett A

Disappointed
29 December 2013
Really disappointed with this restaurant. Reception desk noisy, disorganised and messy. 15 minutes before waiter came to our table to acknowledge we were there. Dinner menu appeared exciting but our order was very up appealing when it arrived – escargot was served with a watery garlic sauce which was tasteless and the seared scallop were dry and bland. Apple and fig pudding was best part of meal but the cheesecake was nice to look at but tasteless. Food was served by three different unsmiling waiters. Really would not recommend this place it's reputation greatly outways the reality. An expensive mistake,

Other restaurants near The Wolseley

You are requesting to book The Wolseley for people on at .