Stovell's

Modern European

SquareMeal Review of Stovell's

“A complete rounded visit” awaits at Stovell’s – a sympathetically restored “mind-your-head” 16th-century farmhouse that blends rough-hewn beams, mullioned windows and low ceilings with vivid wallpaper, contemporary furnishings and deep-pile carpets. Fernando Stovell’s “epic food” continues to receive rave reviews as he fashions complex, finely honed dishes strewn with global influences – from guinea fowl (roasted over an open fire) with quince to a deconstructed beef Wellington with truffle mash (“an absolute must”) or melting Ibérico pork neck with pork popcorn, onion crisp and avocado three ways. There are also simple grills and a dedicated tasting menu inspired by Fernando’s Mexican homeland – think, fish tacos, duck carnitas and ox tongue infladita with chilli morita and black lime. To finish, keep it lively with a “tennis ball” of chocolate mille-feuille or carrot cake “served in a mini garden pot” with confit baby carrots and smoked sour-cream icing. The global wine list offers plenty of keenly priced drinking, but also check out the fab barrel-aged cocktails and “amazing” home-distilled gin. “You’d pay a ton more in central London for this”, cheers one fan.

Good to know about Stovell's

Reviews of Stovell's

Paul A

Better than most
06 January 2018
The restaurant has not been open on the first working day of the New Year for a number of years, but it was clearly the right thing to do in 2018 as the lunch sitting was very well attended and the diners were certainly able to profit from the high standard set by Fernando Stovell in his mind-your-head 16th century mansion. Although the Mexican tasting menu looked interesting, we decided to go à la carte, and, unusually, we selected different options for each of the courses. The amuse-bouches tickled the palate appropriately, tapioca crisp with garam masala and creamy aubergine dip, and a sweet celeriac, parsnip and potato soup with horseradish foam setting us up for some very good open fire-roasted Norfolk guinea fowl with quince and a lovely warm foie gras dish with toasted hazelnuts, Grelot onions, hay tea dressing with sherry and a cooling pennywort juice. Next came a deconstructed beef Wellington, tasty char-grilled local beef sitting on top of a flaky pastry “bun” with a lovely truffle mash, oxtail, brassica and perfect duck-fat cooked chips, and wood-roasted Iberico pork neck which was beautifully tender, had the authentic Spanish taste and was enhanced by pork “popcorn”, avocado served three ways, and onion crisp. A pre-dessert of lime granita with raspberry and hibiscus sorbet was extremely good as well as acting as a palate cleanser for what the menu claimed to be a chocolate mille-feuille but was actually a tennis ball sized sphere cleverly filled with a ganache and accompanied by banana sprinkled with caramelised sugar and vanilla cream, while the other dessert, carrot cake, came in a mini garden pot with confit baby carrots and smoked sour cream. These thoughtful variations on standard themes and the good biscotti, chocolate balls with a touch of Bailey’s, a macaron with a touch of chilli and a chilli choco-brownie which finished our lunch all made a very good impression and confirmed once more that, for us, Michelin is less likely to get restaurant ratings right than the other guides.

David H

Good quality, interesting food with fine service
26 February 2015
Our first visit at lunch today, fixed up on the spur of the moment when we discovered that Stovell's is closed Saturday lunchtime . We both opted for starter and main from the a la carte menu and a glass of tasty Rosso di Montalcino, and we left thinking we'd had a good time and that it's likely we'll return We've travelled fairly widely within our local area (Berks/Bucks/Surrey) to find places we can really enjoy and look forward to. Its harder than you might think, albeit that we have a huge number to choose from. Sure we have some very fine restaurants, but they're mostly hugely expensive and hard to secure a table. We have a raft of one, occasionally two, Michelin star restaurants, but most of them disappoint by comparison to their London peers and frankly we don't use them much in our local area these days. And then we have gastropubs or equivalent by the zillion, and some are very good without offering quite the quality and imagination we'd like to enjoy locally if we could. It's in that context that we chose Stovell's today, and indeed we think that this might be a find. Everything we ate today was cooked properly and presented nicely, from Amuses Bouches to coffee. The food was tasty and nothing jarred. The flavours are not as intense as we'd ideally hope for, but its better than decent. We were a little taken aback by the pre-starter food delivery. A little glass of butternut squash soup, a variety of good bread, smoked and salted butter, two spreads, one of pork dripping and one of what tasted like taramasalata, and ( I think) a semolina? cracker topped with Bacala and some fennel. Maybe a little OTT? We always consider these free dishes carefully as its often a taste of what's to come. Here, the soup and semolina dish were rather bland , and the dripping served perhaps too soft and warm, and it did get me a bit concerned about what we might get next. For me its very simple- unless your freebies are as good as the food on your menus, don't give them. But my wife's broth of leaves and my scallops , both complex dishes with lots going on in them, put our minds at rest, and likewise the main courses of rabbit for me and slow cooked pork in a very tasty jus confirmed that this kitchen cooks very nicely . We enjoyed our side of turnip bubble and squeak too. Service was well timed and pleasantly delivered throughout, and is a strength we thought. The restaurant itself bears some comment. Its a kind of traditional, comfy, country kind of place , and pleasant enough. However the food they serve in it is rather more contemporary and in my mind there's a little jarring between the food and the environment in which its served. At £110 including service for two courses, a glass of wine each and coffee . If the wine had been a bottle , and two courses became three, then the bill might easily pass £150 for two- by no means outrageous for quality food and attentive service, but neither is it a bargain. But all in all we enjoyed it and I'm sure we'll be back.

Mr. Dale Y

01 July 2014
We spent wonderful evening at Stovells to celebrate my wife's birthday in the private dinning room. The food was truly excellent and the service was attentive without being intrusive. I couldn't fault a single thing and would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Ms/Mrs. Cla R

01 July 2014
It's always refreshing when a meal lives up to your expectations, and my expectations were high! The food was exquisite, my girlfriend and I dined from the A La Carte menu, part of me wishes I had gone for the bespoke tasting menu, but being able to choose one of the nicest desserts I've ever had more than made up for it, though every course excelled, beautiful flavours and variance of textures! The service was attentive and very friendly, professional, warm and approachable, they have really found the right balance and there is a real sense of clockwork fluidity to how they coordinate their service. The setting is also very nice, tasteful and intimate… really I struggle to find any complaint. 10/10. The last review leaves me with one point to make. Overpriced? And small portions? Fem critic quite clear;y has no understanding of what a well balanced, well sourced food at a very competitive price. May recommend Bella Italia in Camberley for people like you. BIG PORTIONS FOR A BIG MOUTHED WANNA BE FOOD CRITIC!!! Long live Stovells.

Ms/Mrs. Cla R

Ms/Mrs. Joy M

23 June 2014
If you like pretentious restaurants, then this maybe is for you. If you want value for money, then forget it, £7.20 for a glass of sparkling water and a bottle of lager is a joke. The portions are small, our desert was cheese and biscuits, well I've seen more cheese on a mousetrap! and to accompany the small amount of cheese, there were just 3 equally small crackers. How other people can rate this with 5 stars I'll never know. Its just far too expensive for the little you get.

Mr. Jon A

11 May 2014
Who wouldn't want to enjoy mouthwatering food in a lovely setting while experiencing impeccable service? The staff were genuinely interested in giving us an unforgettable lunch experience, while the chef surprised us with both variations on all-time classics and cheeky treats like pork lard with apple and cereals. Absolutely loved it. Lunch is very affordable

Mr. Jon A

07 May 2014
I work in London and eat in some lovely restaurants. Stovells is by far the best dining experience (food, service & ambiance) I have had outside of London. From the minute we arrived we were looked after beautifully. Lovely and helpful staff who explain all the courses and will answer questions (I didn't know what lingonberries were). The food was gorgeous. In addition to the three courses, we were brought many little amuse bouches. I am still dreaming about it all. The wine list is fantastic and we had a bottle of Sancerre. It's not cheap but I believe you get your money's worth. It really is a special place and I can't wait to return. There's not a bad table and it's not cramped like some places. Thank you Stovells. 10/10

Ms/Mrs. Sheena D

beautiful restaurant in the countryside
07 September 2013
This is a beautiful restaurant that is much needed in Surrey! Its taken me some time to find a restaurant close to home where I can get a fantastic cocktail and some very good cooking indeed! Myself and the family (all seven of us) went on the recommendation of the Jay Rayner review (he has never yet led me wrong) in the guardian. We arrived a little early and had a drink in the bar area… and I was very impressed with how delicious The Aviation was. I love this cocktail, it has all my favourite things in it… gin, violet liqueur and maraschino cherries! We moved over to the restaurant area and enjoyed one of the best meals I have ever had. The staff were really attentive, even when the restaurant got busier and we were even greeted by the owner which is always a welcome surprise. All the food, from the fish starter to the main courses, meaty and vegetarian were all really well seasoned and balanced with textures and flavours. Finally, my favourite part of the meal was probably the desserts… they pull out a dessert trolley and you can have a gander over all the yummy things you could eat… An absolutely fantastic experience! And one everyone should try!

Other restaurants near Stovell's

You are requesting to book Stovell's for people on at