Seven Park Place by William Drabble

French

SquareMeal Review of Seven Park Place by William Drabble

Embedded within the wedding-cake surrounds of the St James's Hotel, this freestanding restaurant drips sobriety and good manners. Restraint is the watchword – even if your eyes have to cope with a mishmash of patterned carpets, patterned banquettes and dramatic patterned wallpaper in the petite, nine-table dining room. William Drabble delivers “the most incredible, genuine French food”, sourcing from the UK, but applying several coats of contemporary Gallic lacquer to his Michelin-starred food: scallops are marinated in blood-orange vinegar and served with Dorset crab and blood-orange mayo; saddle of Lune Valley lamb arrives with onions, turnips and thyme; roast veal sweetbreads are studded with truffle and partnered by crispy chicken wings, salt-baked celeriac and roasted chicken emulsion. To finish, try coffee-soaked savarin with coffee cream and caramelised hazelnuts. “Professional, dedicated staff” provide the icing on the cake.

Good to know about Seven Park Place by William Drabble

Reviews of Seven Park Place by William Drabble

Wendy M

Definitely worth a Visit
22 November 2013
Dishes are exactingly prepared and plated in what could be described as modern French. Light warm scallop mousse of sublime texture was memorable, as was quail ('tis the season) both sensationally executed. Heartier braised beef ticked boxes too. Jus (plural) are this chef's forte. He also ensures that food is served to the temperature demanded by the ingredients to deliver food at its best. Wines have not failed to please yet either. Lunch is good value too, but slightly negative for me, it is just another small but formal hotel dining space. Their event on the 28th of this month is interestingly show-casing truffle, presumably Italian and not French, as reflected by solely Italian wine selection, but alas I can't make that potentially truffle ‘paradiso’ date. Precise high-end dining is achieved, probably helped by the fact covers are limited to 26 – theoretically a very manageable number.

Nicole G

Beautiful flavours in a lovely location
08 April 2013
We're all used to being squashed into expensive restaurants like cattle, sitting elbow to elbow with other diners so Seven Park Place was a nice change. The booths were spacious and set apart so we could actually talk to each other instead of shouting our way over everyone else's conversations. It also takes a stand against the fashionable minimalist looking places across London with lots of luxurious colours which meant I felt like I was in an expensive restaurant instead of a very pricey All Bar One. We all took the tasting menu and they were really happy to swop out the shellfish for one of us as she can't eat seafood. It wasn't a production, it was just done. As opposed to her, I loved both the scallops and the lobster tail but for me, the triumph was really the seabass. I usually find fish (all fish, in most restaurants) bland, boring and just completely forgettable but William Drabble has done something amazing with the creamed leeks, mushrooms and red wine. His dish made me actually considering ordering fish for a main course the next time I am in a restaurant and that is quite a success. And our Sommelier took my dislike of oaky wines to heart and paired it with a red wine. Unexpected, unusual but perfect. This is not culinary wizardry a la Heston but this is an excellent chef making simple food taste extraordinary and that is definitely a talent to be appreciated. The key to this restaurant is that everything is just done to a very high standard. It isn't hip or cool but it is elegant and stylish both in the service and the food with occasional hints of brilliance, This is very much a Mayfair restaurant and it probably wouldn't work in somewhere like Soho but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Ms/Mrs. Tanya D

10 December 2012
Yes, this may be in one of the more stuffy parts of town in a stuffy little hotel but hey, if you are a slave to your tastebuds, you have got to come for the tasting menu! As soon as I saw it on the website, I had to try it and few menus live up to your expectations but this most certainly did. The room is quaint and pretty and perfect for a quiet romantic formal (but expensive) date but not if you are going with a friend for a relaxed meal. Actually, I may say it is expensive but it was about £250 for 2 with that amazing tasting menu and several glasses of wine and lovely easygoing service, thats not actually bad at all.

Christopher J

29 October 2009
After excitedly reading about Seven Park place I hurriedly booked a table. With fewer than 30 covers and William Drabble's reputation I was surprised to find a table at my preferred time for Saturday lunch less than two weeks since opening. I was even more surprised to find that the maitre'd knew me by name. This, I discovered was because we were the only booking for lunch. This was a private dining experience and a thoroughly enjoyable one. The Tortellini of lobster was amazing although I was rather envious of my partners snail dish. Main courses were equally enjoyable and beautifully presented. I was left wondering exactly how it was possible to cook Lamb so well. In truth I wanted to try it all although sadly at £45 for 3 courses it's just slightly above ‘market price’ for non residents. Drabble needs to trick his customers into excellent value set meals and they'll overspend on Wine through guilt. Go on a Saturday afternoon and enjoy great food and incredibly attentive service!

Other restaurants near Seven Park Place by William Drabble

You are requesting to book Seven Park Place by William Drabble for people on at .