Sakana-Tei

Japanese, Sushi

Sakana-Tei

Call Sakana-Tei to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Sakana-Tei

This restaurant has not been reviewed by Square Meal. But we do list the location, price and contact details.

Japanese, Sushi

Location for Sakana-Tei

11 Maddox Street, London, London, W1S 2QF

Reviews of Sakana-Tei

Excellent Sushi quality, but...
29 January 2014
Probably the best quality Sushi (strictly speaking Fish only=Sashimi) in London, but the atmosphere is like in the office… The most difficult part for a non Japanese customer would be that all good menu is hand written in Japanese on the today's special board, and there is no price. The bill never be lower than I expected, but I just go for the quality. Service is nothing special. Therefore, I can not take anyone except who does really understand the quality of Sushi or Sashimi.

Mr. Alex G

Sakana-tei: a hidden gem on Maddox Street
21 February 2013
The diner on Maddox Street is far from short of options, ranging from Hibiscus (over-rated in my opinion) and Goodman (well worth a visit) to the more mundane Patara (Thai) and Browns (part of the chain). It would therefore be easy to overlook Sakana-tei, especially given its unprepossessing exterior, perhaps something one would expect to find on a less prosperous backstreet or circa ten years ago. However, do not be fooled. I lunched here with a friend recently on his recommendation and will undoubtedly be returning. My first impression – and always a good sign – was that all the serving staff were Japanese, as were the majority of the customers. We were greeted in Japanese too and shown to our table, a plain wooden affair in a mostly full dining room. Although there is a full menu, my dining comrade advised me to go for one of the day's specials. There is no show here whatsoever, the specials simply appear on a hand-written piece of paper placed on the table. This is part of the charm. We were both given soup to begin. It was superb, big fat juicy noodles, pieces of tofu, a variety of herbs and a slight hit from chilli flavouring. This light and refreshing dish stimulated the senses and left us prepared for the mains. I opted for eel, served on a bed of rice with pickles on the side, while my comrade selected the day's sushi combination. Both met with approbation. I have travelled to Japan more than ten times and it is rare to find such authentic food in this country. The eel was very fresh, exquisitely flavoured with smoky and savoury (umami) notes. We both took tea with our food and the bill (including service) came to less than £40. I will be back – and just hope it doesn't become too well-known!

Other restaurants near Sakana-Tei

You are requesting to book Sakana-Tei for people on at .