Ishtar

Turkish

Call Ishtar to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Ishtar

The inviting open frontage is a big advantage for this Turkish grill in the summer months, while the interior makes an equally bullish statement of intent: green walls, contemporary candelabra-style light fittings and a copper ceiling signal that this is no run-of-the-mill kebab joint. That said, the charcoal grill is a significant player, adding a smoky tinge to marinated aubergines, lamb chops or skewered minced chicken and peppers (curiously wrapped in a tortilla), but the kitchen also makes its point with rich flavours, slightly fussy presentation and a menu that runs from tabbouleh and falafel to poached octopus, braised lamb shank in tomato sauce and veggie moussaka. Set lunches and express menus are a big draw, while the drinks list includes a couple of Turkish wines. Handy if you’re looking for something posher than the ethnic eateries on nearby Edgware Road.

Good to know about Ishtar

Mon-Sun 12N-11pm

Reviews of Ishtar

Ms/Mrs. ma D

08 October 2012
I felt that this was not authentic Turkish, considering I am Turkish. The kofte had no flavour along with the stewed lamd. BLEND!!! We felt the same way about the starters along with the dessert. Very traditional dessert called kazandibi" dish was a bad rendition of a flan. If you want delicious Turkish meal head out to Islington for Iznik. Although, it doesn't have favorable ratings as Izhtar, it is truly authentic delicious Turkish food you would find in Turkey.

Ms/Mrs. Jan N

09 October 2011
We had the meze mixed starters and the chicken livers in tomato sauce. All delicious and the chicken livers tasted freshly cooked and tender. The main courses: chicken in tomato sauce with yoghurt and octopus salad were also very nice indeed, and the meal was accompanied by generous quantities of hot, delicious Turkish bread. We thought it was very good value.

Ms/Mrs. Tanya N

17 September 2009
I really like this restaurant, the food is great, the service is very attentive and you absolutely cannot beat their express lunch offer which is extremely good value for money and there is a lot of it! A little taste of lots of dips with lots of bread, then main meals to follow with chicken, lamb and beef. I have been with friends, dinner for two and with my parents so great for all occassions. The decor is sophisticated and the atmosphere is relaxed. I too am always surprised by the slight lack of people, you would expect it to be permenantly packed! A must try if you are in the Baker Street area.

Ms/Mrs. Johan E

11 March 2009
My local Turkish place! I must admit that I'm always a bit surprised that this place is half empty when I visit either to pick-up some take-away, or when I sit down for dinner. The food is really good, the service is friendly (although I suspect the fact that my girlfriend is Turkish definitely helps!), and most of all, the prices are really good for the quality you're getting. The atmosphere is a bit so-so given that the place isn't very full, but apart from that, a good restaurant that I'd happily recommend for my Marylebone friends. As often is the case though, I wouldn't say that this is worth travelling far from, IF you're not specifically craving some Turkish food. Ps. I would also recommend not sitting close to the door, there's a mean draft…

Other restaurants near Ishtar

You are requesting to book Ishtar for people on at