SquareMeal Review of Inamo Soho

‘Interactive oriental fusion’ is the deal at this futuristic, neon-lit restaurant, which has silenced those naysayers who claimed the “gimmicky” idea of ordering your meal through a table touchpad would soon wear thin. Instead, diners love this “great concept” with its entertaining novelty – you can even order a taxi home from your table. The food is an accessible pan-Asian mixed bag with new dishes such as scallop tartare, Malaysian beef rendang and Japanese tofu salad ‘hiyayakko’ alongside soft-shell crab maki rolls, delicate squid and spring onion dumplings, Peking duck and a “winning version” of the ubiquitous black cod. The basement cocktail bar deals in fusion cocktails (don’t miss the Inamo Martini with mandarin purée and chilli), while bubbly pop music adds to the vibe as young clubbers get the party started. Watch out for the monthly ‘magic nights’.

Good to know about Inamo Soho

Unlimited sushi & dim sum lunch with a glass of fizz: £19.95

From: 23 January, 2019
To: 30 June, 2019
Max: 10
Guests choose unlimited dishes from a selection of 10 dishes for a 1 hour period. Dishes subject to change. Soft drink alternative available. Tables are booked for one hour.
Availability: Thu-Fri 12:00PM-4:00PM

4 sharing dishes: theatre menu £26pp

From: 1 June, 2018
To: 30 June, 2019
Max: 12
Guests choose 4 dishes from a selection of 22. Over 25% discount on a la carte menu prices. Featuring chef’s selection of inamo’s signature dishes from the brand new menu. Dishes subject to change.
Availability: Daily 12:00PM-10:00PM

Location for Inamo Soho

134-136 Wardour Street, London, W1F 8ZP

Opening Times of Inamo Soho

Mon-Wed 5-11.30pm Thurs-Sun 12N-12M (Thurs -11.30pm) (Sun -10.30PM)

Reviews of Inamo Soho

Interactive fusion
08 May 2016
Unusual and satifying experience to chose the order. The food is excellent and the menu is quite extensive. Service is friendly and efficient. The only drawback is a visit to the loo, a narrow stained staircase leading to a tiny toilet.

Ms/Mrs. Linda G

Nice Idea
03 August 2015
I love the concept of this restaurant, but it needs a bit more refinement. We ordered from the set menu 3 courses. Alas they serve the starter & the main together, so you rush through the starter so that your main doesn't go cold! I had chicken with rice. Although the chicken had a type of teriyaki sauce coated on it, the bowl of rice was just plain, so it was a very dry meal. We were down in the basement which really was very stark, although upstairs looked much nicer. We booked, but they gave walk ins better tables. If I go back I will request a table upstairs

Elaine L

Magic at Inamo
08 November 2014
I came across Inamo by accident when I searched for 'London's quirkiest restaurant's' for dinner. I am always on the look for a restaurant's unique selling point so when Inamo made VisitLondon's list for its interactive ordering system and 3D menu, it definitely stirred my curiosity so of course, I took my mum and some friends with me to try it out! Inamo was certainly a 'quirky' dining experience and being able to order our food and drinks through a 3D menu projected on to the table service and choosing virtual tablecloths to set the ambience of our table was definitely a novel experience! As it was only 2 days before Halloween, we thought a pumpkin themed table cover was very appropriate! They had a great selection of food to choose from too. The Soft Shell Crab Maki Rolls were very nice - though I would say there wasn't much soft shell crab for a distinctive flavour. The squid & spring onion dim sum were delicious! Delicately steamed with very tender squid - I would definitely order this dish again. We also ordered the cripsy silky tofu, tomato and avocado salad and seared tuna sashimi. They were all lovely though in my opinion, the Black Cod marinated with spicy miso was by the far the winning dish! The miso marinade wasn't too overpowering, and the fresh tasted fresh and was very soft and tender. I could have easily had another portion all to myself...if only it wasn't 18.50 pounds a dish! However, for me, I will come away from dining at Inamo enjoying something much more exciting and memorable. I am a girl who loves magic so when I saw that Inamo was hosting a magic night with John Bulleid, I had very high expectations. John came round to each table after we had finished our main meals and impressed us so much with his tricks, illusions and slight of hand! I was thoroughly amused and I'm still left wondering how he got away with his card tricks! I would have to say though, my experience was rather dampened by poor service. Our food orders didn't come at the same time, and my friend had to wait 25 minutes for her dish while we were eating ours. They weren't very attentive and very slow to follow up with our requests. It wasn't too busy for a Wednesday night, but I felt waiters were rushing and running around just to cope with the orders. Overall: Novel experience, great tasting food and fantastic magic, but disappointing service and small portions. Expect to spend: 30 pounds per person - for a small dish, large dish and drink Would I go again? Probably not - It was great to go once for the novelty, but I would rather book a magic night to see John Boleid perform on his own. Magic Nights at Inamo occur the last Wednesday of every month from 7pm.

Mr. Russell N

31 July 2014
We went to Inamo as a family for our 17-year-old son's birthday. We all like Asian food and the electronic table ordering concept sounded like it might be fun. Everything worked pretty efficiently – the staff explained how to order (the table has the menu projected onto it and you use a sort of mouse to select dishes and order them); stuff started showing up very quickly and the quality was good. They even brought our son a little birthday ‘cake’ at the end. This is not five-star Asian cuisine but it isn't cheap – we spent £180 for four including a few beers and were in-and-out in an hour.

Mr. Keith D

23 June 2014
i booked INAMO via square meal on 18th June, for a table for 4 @ 8pm on 21st June. 5pm on 20th June i recievied a call from INAMO saying i would have to vacate the table at 9-15pm. i cancelled the reservation, its unacceptable to be told the day before we had 75 minutes to order, eat and leave.

Ellen F

12 May 2014
Inamo would be a good place to come on a first date, as the quirky interactive ordering would distract from any first night nerves, or with a group of friends, as the tables are so close that you have to be mates with the people next to you whether you like it or not. I did enjoy the computer gizmo but it would have been more fun if they'd gone the whole hog Genki Sushi style- the Asian chain delivers dishes on a little model bullet train straight to your table almost eliminating the need for service altogether. It's difficult to fault service here when you are largely responsible for it yourself: I was going to complain about the “dishes come when they're ready” Wagamamma approach which meant we ended up with so many plates on our table at once that we couldn't really operate the computer but perhaps that was a good thing as it meant it stopped us ordering yet more food and really we could have avoided the problem by staggering the ordering ourselves. The service we did have was lovely. We were told on arrival that we could only have the table for an hour and a half but they explained why (big group coming after us) in a very charming way and said they would keep a table in the bar downstairs for us if we wanted to finish drinks there and were true to their word when the time came so I think they dealt rather well with what could have been an annoying situation. As to the food itself, well, it was pretty average but not bad: for example, miso cod was tender but could have been a bit more honeyed and chicken satay was juicy but the sauce almost mustardy in its spiciness. We ate heartily and drank sufficiently for £85 which is OK for Soho but I can't see myself, or many other people, returning as one visit is enough to get the gimmick and there is better food elsewhere.

Mr. Pierre C

Gimmicky
17 January 2014
Bad start when the restaurant could not find our booking (made through squaremeal). Eventually they were able to find us a table in the basement which is a bit soulless. The ordering through the table/touchscreen is at first a bit fun if disorientating, but does end up rather distracting and certainly hinders any meaningful conversation, which ends up being about the restaurant itself, rather than a catch-up with friends where the restaurant performs a facilitating yet invisible function. Food is OK, so would recommend for people who do not have much to say to each other.

Mr. Alex G

Top marks for concept and for food
19 December 2013
The term “interactive oriental fusion” (used by Inamo on its website) could mean almost anything. In itself it would obviously not be an endorsement for this restaurant or indeed any other, quite the contrary. Let’s think about the words in turn. First, interactive – surely all restaurants involve some form of interaction, hopefully between the diners and almost certainly between the customers and the staff; after, all, that’s why service is included on the bill? Next, oriental – well, ‘the east’ is a pretty broad geographic region and the cuisines of countries as diverse as China and India share little in common, making it hard to guess what might be on offer. And, finally fusion – we all loved this word circa 20 years ago – remember Nobu when it launched or the now sadly defunct Sugar Club? – but now it is so commonplace, trying-a-little-too-hard to be cool for it almost to be meaningless. Despite these semantic quibbles, DO go to Inamo. It is very different, a good and fun place, particularly in a group – and we rated both the experience and the food. In practice, interactive means that each table has its own computer embedded, allowing customers to select their food and drinks, alter the ambience (the design on the table and the hue of lighting), even play games with the person opposite, and eventually request the bill. Far from being a gimmick or a simple talking point, the system allowed us to peruse the menu at our leisure, view pictures of all the dishes on offer and add to/ amend our order as needed. Need more rice or another beer? Then why wait for a rushed and distracted waiter when Inamo allows you to order it at a click? Despite the place being almost full, all of our drinks/ dinner arrived promptly and were delivered with good grace by the – fortunately human, as opposed to robotic – staff. And, despite this being a ‘concept restaurant’ based in Soho theatre-land with high turnover (we were reminded on several occasions slightly irritatingly that our table had to be returned within an hour-and-a-half), the drinks and food were remarkably good. We kicked off with cocktails, mostly Martinis, for the group and my signature Inamo had just the right amount of chilli and alcohol to set proceedings off in the right way. We then moved on to a very agreeable – and also reasonably priced – New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc to accompany the meal, a perfect foil for the Asian flavours. Our waiter suggested two small dishes and one large per person and so we ended up with 10+ different dishes at the table, allowing us to enjoy a broad range. There were no failures and overall the standard was consistently high, especially given the variety of cuisines. We particularly rated the luscious black cod tartar among the smaller dishes and then both the miso yuzu salmon (with a delicious pickled salad) and the Berkshire pork neck (slow-roasted with spicy chocolate and wasabi) from the larger ones. In conclusion, Inamo should continue to prosper on the London restaurant scene – a great idea (better for a group though, I would argue, than a romantic meal) and the food to match.

Ms/Mrs. Alice F

Inamo - great for dates!
15 November 2013
You know those McDonalds adverts where the burger looks so juicy and fresh, but when you get the real thing it's nothing but a dry, disappointment? I'm delighted to say that the food looks as good coming out Inamo's kitchen, as the projected menu pictures show it to be. And it tastes even better. With a great mix of hot, mild, deep fried and healthier options, it's a great place to please everyone. I dined at the restaurant with a friend wjho had never been before and we were having such fun with the interactive table we almost forgot to order our food! I suppose that's why when being seated, you are reminded there is a 1hr 30 min time-restriction on your stay. Shame to have a bubble-burster on your arrival, but perhaps necessary for some parties!

Ms/Mrs. Noma S

05 September 2012
We had the most fantastic experience at Inamo. It was great fun, an entertainment with lovely food and the service was very pleasant. An altogether uplifiting experience. We'll definitely go back

Other restaurants near Inamo Soho

You are requesting to book Inamo Soho for people on at