SquareMeal Review of Hakkasan Hanway Place

London’s most famous Chinese restaurant remains a must-visit for all fans of Cantonese food – and anyone interested in how the capital’s dining scene has developed since the turn of the millennium.

Few destination restaurants can thrill with the same sense of arrival, as the grungy back alley entrance off Tottenham Court Road opens out into a shimmering basement, heady with incense and the swish of the glamorous waitresses’ cheongsams.

From that moment on, the excitement never lets up and every detail is designed to wow – from the dusky blue dining room divided by latticework to the shadowy figures propping up the long, long bar. It’s the perfect backdrop for food that has changed Londoners’ perception of what Chinese cooking is all about.

Classics such as sweet-and-sour are re-invented with superior ingredients like Duke of Berkshire pork, while prawn toast is re-imagined as a deep-fried ball stuffed with oozing foie gras – though superior seafood is the menu’s real strength: eye-opening Shanghainese-style eel, the textural treat of spicy prawn with lily bulb and almond, delicate stir-fried Alaskan king crab in XO sauce or sumptuous whole braised lobster with egg noodles, terrifyingly priced by the 100g.

Lunchtime dim sum offers a calmer, cheaper way in, and you can keep bills in check at any time by sticking to tea or the fascinating non-alcoholic Orchard List – although that would mean missing out on the joy of a ground-breaking wine (and saké) selection that seeks to find intriguing matches for Chinese food from almost every wine-growing region of the world.

Service is a little impersonal, but never less than professional, and in any case, the sexy nightclub vibe is designed to keep your attention focused firmly on your dining companions and your food (thoughtfully spotlit by overhead lamps). Fans say that Hakkasan has “still got it”, and we reckon it’s likely to have that magic spark for many years to come.

Chinese

Reviews of Hakkasan Hanway Place

Ms/Mrs. sarah G

Gourmet Review
12 August 2019   - Verified Diner

Never fails to disappoint, the atmosphere, service, drinks and food are all stellar. COuld be better value for money!

Paul A

Unpretentious enjoyment
01 September 2016
Once we’d become accustomed to the darkness of the dining room, it was possible to discern the care with which it has been laid out and decorated to hint cleverly at the style of cuisine and to make diners feel comfortable from every point of view. The front of house staff, surprisingly all non-Asian, were very professional and constantly on hand when needed. The Taste of Hakkasan menu looked very good value and we started with one of their special house cocktails, a concoction comprising Belvedere vodka, Akashi-tai sake, lychee juice, lime, coconut and passion fruit which were mixed so as to produce a marvellously creamy, fruity introduction to the meal. The “small eats” to start were an impressive crispy pomelo spiced duck salad with pine nuts and shallots, and amazingly light chicken and prawn dumplings boosted but not overwhelmed by chilli and vinegar. We both chose the spicy prawn main, which was a colourful riot of tastes to accompany the gigantic curried prawns, including asparagus, almonds, lily bulbs, spring onion, and water chestnut - a beautifully and cleverly designed combination of textures as well. Our dessert was a perfect light variation on lemon tart with a sablé base for the sesame meringue, fresh lemon sorbet, white and black sesame seeds, candied lemon and white chocolate disks - a great way to end the meal. Altogether a very satisfyingly unpretentious and high quality dining experience.

Nicoletta D

Exceptional Hakkassan
20 December 2015
Absolutely outstanding. Excellent in every field, food, service, ambiance. It was also my husbands birthday and the staff were very complimentary.

Alice G

Great Asian food
30 July 2015
Chinese with a twist. One of the best in London

AmyM

Dim Sum Sundays can't be beat!
20 July 2015
I fancied something different from the usual Sunday brunch, coupled with a craving for Dim Sum and it seems Hakkasan had the answer! Their set menu for £58 per head includes a pre meal cocktail, a bottle of Louis Roederer to share and a post meal cocktail, as well as 6 courses. We were utterly defeated by the food, to the point that I opted to forgo dessert. At which they promptly returned with 3 handmade macaroons for me to take with me. The food is delicious, the only complaint is that the chilean sea bass was incredibly oily, which overwhelmed the flavour. Other than that, the duck salad is scrumptious, the dim sum delicate and exquisite and fabulous salt and pepper squid. The service seems to be a bit like an energy saving light bulb - takes time to warm up - with water taking 10 mins to arrive, but once they are rolling it's fine. The lovely thing was they didn't turn our table. Admittedly it wasn't that busy, but it was great to be able to linger for a lazy Sunday. I think that this is £60 well spent!

Ms/Mrs. Rebecca L

Taste of Hakkasan menu - luxury without the price tag
18 May 2015
I've visited Hakkasan Mayfair once before, ordered from the main menu and loved the food, atmosphere and thought the service was decent enough. This was my first time at Hakkasan Hanway Place and we decided to sample the set menu. I have to agree with prior reviews, this is a seriously sexy venue, you really do feel quite special. I can honestly say that the Taste of Hakksan menu is the best set menu I've had anywhere in terms of taste, quality and price. You get a huge amount for £35, including a cocktail. I loved the strawberry and basil martini and my boyfriend had the Hakka (not to my taste but rightly a very popular choice). There is a choice of two starters - dim sum and duck rolls which were both excellent and 3 mains (we had the beef and cod which were both divine). In terms of dessert, you can order anything from the main menu which is extensive. Everything was beautifully presented and overall, I was very impressed. I felt the service was a little more refined than the Mayfair branch which was an added bonus. I actually prefer the Hanway Place venue to the Mayfair one. It's a little more intimate and well laid out. It's also feels less busy and is quieter, worth bearing in mind. My only criticism is that the wine menu is set out in a muddled way although it's good in terms of offerings. A great opportunity to sample exquisite Michelin star food without breaking the bank.

Ms/Mrs. Helen L

Sexy dim sum, and more
13 April 2015
Even at lunchtime, Hakkasan feels raunchy. The entrance staircase is heady with incense, making way for a vast basement that’s all ebony screens, moody shadows and clubby booths. It would make a seriously saucy date destination, but clumsies beware - I walloped my head on the table’s low lighting twice, each time executed with an almighty clang. Not the dignified exit I was hoping for. Having to chase up the lunch menu was a minor bummer, particularly as we’d booked specifically for the £35 Taste of Hakkasan deal. While a nearby party of monied students casually ordered duck with caviar (a mere £270, and apparently no biggie as an amuse bouche), our super-smooth waiter discreetly brought the right promo menu, and saved us overordering when one pot of tea was more than enough for two. There’s no doubt that the service and surroundings make you feel a bit special, in the good sense. Signature cocktails (included with the three-course lunch deal) were resolutely grown-up; think kumquats, aloe and jasmine cleverly muddled with the likes of matcha, plum sake and jasmine. Our starters continued in the same sophisticated vein. My veggie dim sum platter comprised pure loveliness in dumpling form: one swathed in grass-green rice noodle; another brain-like in translucency but oddly delicious; one elegant morsel topped with a single goji berry. (Okay, so my partner’s crispy duck roll was delicious too, but way less of a spectacle). Beef rib eye with merlot was a positively sizzling main, riddled with umami and juicy as hell. Szechuan Mabo tofu was disappointingly meek in terms of heat, but the wobbly beancurd nestled in a nonetheless intriguing sauce. ‘Vegetarian chicken’ also made an appearance on the menu, and shouldn’t be sniffed at; it’s artfully cooked across much of China, and worthy of consideration. Finally, our puds did the chefs proud; the selection shunned ubiquitous salted caramel in favour of lighter, more beauteous confections and balanced Eastern spice. Those with a cloyingly sweet tooth may not get sufficient sugar fix here, but that's actually a good thing for those weirdos, like me, that aren't very fussed about cake. All in all, a solid and even exceptional London hotspot that has every right to its upmarket reputation; just be good to yourself and forsake a la carte for the genius set menu.

Mr. michele T

Sunday Brunch at Hakkasan, always a safe choice
02 February 2015
The Sunday Brunch offer at Hakkasan is always as incredible as they come, and the quality of both food and service is top notch. The 6-course meal is delicious, and more than enough to satisfy even the most voracious of the appetites. The combination of champagne and cocktails works well with the food (we did order some white wine as well though, but then again we love our drinks!) and the whole experience is great. One of Sunday pearls of London!

Mr. Mike B

Definitely not over-rated
03 October 2014
So I entered here with some caution about the over-hyping and effusive comments I had read and heard. My Chinese friends all say it’s not a proper Chinese restaurant to the extent I sense it’s almost become now not cool to say you eat there. My co-eater once more was the ‘mandarin-fluent’ Miss C who, for background, breezed in 33 minutes late with no more than a vague hint of an insincere apology….but was reluctantly forgiven due to looking absolutely divine. A couple of cocktails at the bar to start with served by friendly bar staff. A good cocktail range all priced around the average you would expect so no unpleasant surprises there. And so to the restaurant area, and first reaction was the maximum use made of space for tables. Very limited room for waiters to manoeuvre and at times it almost felt like we were in a wagamama bench format. A seemingly minor point but table size was also quite small and given the format of Chinese eating tends to bring more dishes than usual everything felt just a bit too crammed in. So far, I’m at 5 out of 10. The food, we ordered Shanghai dumplings and soft shell crab as starters. The dumplings were just unbelievable, the best I have ever had and the soft shell crab was full of fresh flavour and perfectly spiced. Neither of us could fault…and that was despite the often captious Miss C having spent some time in Shanghai. Now we’re at 10 out of 10. Main course was led by Angus rib-eye, scallops and prawn cake and black truffle roast duck. Everything just oozed flavour – for long moments there was no conversation needed. As much as we tried to find fault it really was everything we had hoped and more. Now at 11 out of 10. We managed a couple of desserts to share which were acceptable but I guess is not the main reason you’d be coming here. To remind us how limited the table space was Miss C then decided to flamboyantly spill a rather viscid dessert wine over my sleeve….nice. Cue insincere apology….again instantly forgiven. An amazing meal, fantastic venue, if a little too focussed on maximising prime London floor space. And the bill…don’t ask, and don’t think about it, and you will not regret it.

Mr. Mike B

Definitely not over-hyped
25 September 2014

Other restaurants near Hakkasan Hanway Place

You are requesting to book Hakkasan Hanway Place for people on at .