Cinnamon Kitchen City

Indian

SquareMeal Review of Cinnamon Kitchen City

We’re big fans of chef Vivek Singh’s high-end modern Indian cuisine and this offshoot of his flagship Cinnamon Club earns him yet more applause. Like its siblings in Battersea and Oxford, it’s been cleverly designed to suit its surrounds ¬– in this case a former spice warehouse, done out in industrial-chic style for City slickers. The decking outside is a bonus: perfect for alfresco dining whatever the weather, thanks to its covered courtyard.

Inside, the action revolves around an open kitchen, where chefs prepare a series of “wonderful, aromatic” dishes, characterised by subtle spicing. Highlights on our last visit included an enormous garlic- and coriander-crusted wild prawn, juicy and blackened from the grill, and palak patta chaat -– a moreish rendition of the Indian street-food snack flavoured with tangy tamarind and coriander.

To follow, our Goan-style pork cheek vindaloo was marked by a welcome savoury richness rather than fiery spice, while delicate green-spiced monkfish contrasted with its punchy tamarind and tomato sauce.

Other options include tandoori-spiced red deer with pickled root vegetables, and Lucknow-style chicken biryani, all backed by a dependable selection of hot, buttery breads, rice and creamy dhal.  The six-course tasting menu is perfect for sampling the full repertoire, while set deals offer good value for working lunches on a tight schedule.

To drink, expect fruity Asian-inspired cocktails from the Anise Bar and a thoughtfully chosen wine list that includes a selection of English labels among its spice-friendly bottles. Factor in reliably good service and you have a City stalwart that’s worth repeat visits.

Good to know about Cinnamon Kitchen City

Reviews of Cinnamon Kitchen City

Ms/Mrs. Sarah G

One of my favourites
20 November 2015
There is nothing I would change, the service is excellent and the food is quite simply heaven on a plate. A little pricey for the average budget though.

Vanessa C

Lovely Venezie Wine Dinner !
16 October 2014
Never been to Italy, though I've heard about Venezie a lot. I had booked pretty early so I wouldn't miss my seat as there are only 16 spaces available ! We could see the dishes being prepared in the kitchen. The aroma tingles your senses and honestly the wine plus the food are worth the praise ! The chef really did a great job thumbs up ! Will be going back again !

Mr. Alan B

07 June 2014
Buzzy space, innovative and well-cooked food – what's not to like? Well, it's let down badly by waiting staff who try their best, but just can't cope. The restaurant was busy but not full, but the staff were rushed off their feet. Perhaps there just aren't enough of them, perhaps it's poor supervision. But if you're aiming at the level of 98 quid for a tasting menu, you need to get the staffing right. Good – but needs to lift it's game.

Mr. Guy P

Valentines Day
17 February 2014
The first time I had dined at this restaurant. The Valentine's Menu was 5 courses. High and low points in no particular order. The cauliflower cappucino was luxurious and spicy. The rack of lamb, one of the best main courses we had both ever eaten, the sauce was amazing. Service attentive but not over-powering. Loud and bright, which wasnt very romantic. The seafood starter was very citric and hardly any seafood. Rather disappointing compared with the rest of the meal was the dessert, dry souffle. Plus v minus I would go again to see if things are different away from the set course menu and off course to have the lamb again.

Wendy M

At the top of their 'game'
22 November 2013
It is difficult to see how Cinnamon Kitchen could improve on the food. Five of us attended the 5th Anniversary at CK. I don't think I had ever had spiced game before. Quail breasts were stunningly good; marinated I would imagine and carefully spiced, enhanced by fresh and some piquant accompanying ingredients. Nothing eclipsed this impressive opener, but mixed game Kebab and Roe deer were very skilfully done and I think the best way to enjoy game (especially for those a little timid of trying game), both of which I would definitely order again. In-between these two came Grouse, which I have never enjoyed until I ate it on this evening – I happily cleared my plate. I must just say that I couldn't help smile at the aptly entitled menu : “Game-on”, but there were plenty more reasons to smile through the event. Service was good, wine flight was generous and a great introduction to reds suiting spicy dishes for those who hadn't previously dabbled. As entertaining as the double act of Vivek Singh and wine man (Tim Atkin ) was, it could have been slightly shorter at the beginning, but this is just a minor point emphasised by the fact that I was more than ready to eat. But importantly it must be remembered that it was a big celebration and fantastic achievement for Vivek Singh & Co.

Ms/Mrs. Katie O

A special kind of Indian
21 August 2013
I visited Cinnamon Kitchen again this week and my love for the place has not wavered. I can’t say enough good things about all the Cinnamon restaurants, although this is my favourite. I wanted to treat my cousin as he is a Head Chef in a restaurant in Yorkshire and out of all the restaurants in London I knew this was guaranteed to impress him. There are plenty of nice Indian restaurants Up North but none quite cut the mustard the way Cinnamon does. It was a nice enough day to sit out in the courtyard. The glowing candlelight and a view of the gherkin peeping through the glass roof set the mood perfectly. We popped open a bottle of Vintage Pinot Grigio Veneto, I don’t normally mention wine by the name but it went spectacularly with the food. A simple and perfectly cooked Tandoori Chicken for starters followed by the rabbit corn curry tantalised my taste buds as my cousin and his wife tucked in to specialities such as king prawns and succulent lamb. I like that menu changes each time I visit so I have had a chance to try a lot of their very special creations. The jolly French waiter was a delight and had plenty of banter up his sleeve and I went away feeling like I had truly had a treat.

Ms/Mrs. Shonaki C

Best Indian restaurant in the City of London
17 July 2013
Happen to be here soon after my visit to it's sister site in Soho and Cinnamon Club. I am glad I went to this restaurant with 20 of my colleagues for an office party. Great private dining room where you get the freewheeling view of their kitchen and gherkin on the other side. Beautiful food with imaginative and cool dishes on the menu. Extensive choice for vegetarians in our group as well. Cocktails were even better to start off the evening with their best canapes. I found out later that they won Squaremeal canapes cup award for those pigeon vcanapes for 3 years in a row…Wow!! Service was just the way we wanted- unobtrusive yet relaxed. Couldn't fault anything really so here I am encouraging people to must go and try this unique Indian restaurant in London at least once. Oh yes they do have interesting offers on so check out their website before booking a table. You are likely to get some amazing deals there…not the stale one for sure:)

Mr. Mark H

Dinner at Cinnamon Kitchen
29 April 2013
Excellent food and good service, as ever. The poor acoustics and a typical Friday night crowd make this a less suitable restaurant for a serious business dinner than a gathering with friends! The menu and wine lsit might be longer to cater for some tastes but otherwise hard to find fault.

Ms/Mrs. Jennifer J

Perfect place for a business lunch
20 April 2013
Outstanding, inspirational, memorable food. Attentive service and a lovely atmosphere. Can't wait to go back.

Ms/Mrs. Reese W

Best flavourful cocktail & canapes
25 March 2013
Amazing wednesday and Thursday night crowd. Spice infused cocktails and the best bit is the bar food they have. Scrumptious and reasonably priced being in the city and surrounded by some top contenders. They also have some great deals on through the week so check out their website before you book a booth. Sometime you also get free canapes platter for group bookings..pretty awesome right?

Other restaurants near Cinnamon Kitchen City

You are requesting to book Cinnamon Kitchen City for people on at .