Barrica

Spanish, Tapas

About Barrica

Barrica is the real deal. It looks and feels like a genuine Spanish hangout (classic chequerboard floor, marble-topped bar, hams hanging from the ceiling), it refuses to peddle touristy clichés and it also eschews the flashy gastronomic strokes of the Iberian new wave. Instead, the emphasis is on no-nonsense traditional tapas designed for the everyday Spanish palate. Nibble on zanahorias (Seville spiced carrots), white asparagus and pickled aubergines before taking on the likes of char-grilled squid, braised veal cheeks with Pedro Ximénez, or pork and oxtail albondigas (meatballs). There’s also an enormous selection of artisan cured meats (lomo, cecina, morcilla bellota) and regional cheeses (villarejo, bleu-veined cabrales, semi-soft garrotxa), with basic sherry-pairing suggestions to match. Reports of service are mixed, although the deliberately laid-back attitude often adds to the charm.

Good to know about Barrica

Opening Times of Barrica

Mon-Fri 12N-4pm 5.30-11.30pm Sat 12N-11.30pm

Reviews of Barrica

30 October 2016

I had eaten twice before in Barrica a few years ago and always left underwhelmed and oddly, without a complete order. My friend suggested we go for a light lunch and so I agreed, as maybe I was previously unlucky. Nope. We ordered tortilla, a staple. Well. It was flat (literally), no thicker than my index finger, dry and had clearly been microwaved. Not to mention that for £4.50 it was the stingiest piece I had ever seen. Considering that three doors down the Salt Yard is serving a beautifully gooey and fresh sharing "whole" tortilla for the same price, I would have been mortified to serve it, if it was me. I pointed this out to the waitress and asked her when it was made and she confirmed that it was that morning and so it had been reheated. That was actually the high point. We ordered red lentils with beetroot, which was entirely flavourless, I don't think it had even seen salt and pepper and at best tepid, again indicating a microwave was involved. The chargrilled leek with goats cheese was inedible. The leek was tough and the cheese sauce was as bad as the Coleman's packet. Even the padron peppers were flacid! The best part of the meal was the rosemary nuts. The bill came to £66 with a cheap end bottle of wine and no tortilla, for the 4 vegetarian dishes, and as someone who quite happily spends that a head without thinking about it, I think for what we got, that's a lot. There are so many good (and average) tapas restaurants in London and even within a stone's throw of Barrica, if this is the standard, I can't see how they will survive. Absolutely terrible.

22 July 2016

The Tapas choices available and wine selection on offer is sufficient and what you would expect from a Tapas restaurant. All the meat dishes we chose were cooked to perfection, most notably the melt in the mouth steak slices and a wonderfully moist and tasty chicken, lemon and garlic dish. We also had an interesting chickpea and manchego cheese dish which turned up a rich beetroot red colour stained which made the chickpeas look a lot more palatable than their natural colour! We had a very relaxed lunch, catching up and doing a bit of business. So relaxed in fact that we were shocked when we looked at the time and discovered it was past 3.30! The service was nice and leisurely not intrusive, the air conditioning worked a treat which was fab in the mini three days of tropical Summer temperatures we experienced this week. So, if you like Tapas and enjoy trying new places give this a go. There is scaffolding outside so don't walk past it at first like we did.

17 March 2016

I've decided that all my restaurant reviews will contain warnings not only whether one can hear what your fellow dinner companions are saying (always a plus on such social occasions I feel) but also able to actually see the menu to read it. You'll be pleased to know that you can hear each other speak in this latest and amiable Spanish tapas restaurant. A party of six, we all had to use our smartphones to read the menu and even when the food came it was dark enough that I didn't know what one of the dishes was even when eating it. The food was OK but not outstanding, the staff were friendly, the atmosphere enjoyable. Was it memorable? Probably not. Nothing compares to The Opera Tavern which is sublime in terms of its Spanish cuisine but I don't think this restaurant is in competition with that in any event. We paid £46/head with drinks. Oh, yes the gin menu is great! That made me happy.

12 February 2016

Came here for a client lunch, one person had severe food allergies which we alerted the restaurant to prior to arriving. On arrival we were presented with a menu that highlighted the "safe dishes" for our guest, which made the ordering process seamless. There was a large wine list, and the staff were happy to help navigate it for us. Food and service were both impeccable. The atmosphere was warm and friendly. Great for a nice/casual lunch or date night. Very much recommended.

16 December 2015

Fabulous food, drink and service!

Other restaurants near Barrica

You are requesting to book Barrica for people on at