Trishna

Fish, Indian

SquareMeal Review of Trishna

Trishna’s “modern take on Indian cuisine” is where the Sethi family’s restaurant story started. Their clutch of new openings may be markedly young ’n’ funky compared to the original, but that’s how Trishna’s fans like it – and there are plenty of them, including Michelin.

The food is beautifully presented to fit a restrained dining room with doors that open onto the street in summer. Although the prevailing breeze might not be coastal, much of the cooking has a noticeable briny tang: order pink prawns with chilli, garlic and smoked tomato chutney or quail pepper fry with Keralan spices to start, followed by the now-famous tandoori hariyali bream in a vivid green chilli-herb jacket.

Biriyanis are inventive, as in a wild mushroom and berry version with pink peppercorn raita, while venison and duck come with superior keema naans. Oenophile Sunaina Sethi has devised some “exceptional” wine pairings to match the complexity of the food: you are in safe hands.

Ayala female chef series Ayala female chef series

Good to know about Trishna

Event Party Venue

Location for Trishna

15-17 Blandford Street, London, W1U 3DG

Opening Times of Trishna

Mon-Fri 12N-2.30pm 6-10.30pm Sat 12N-2.30pm 5.30-10.30pm Sun 12N-2.45pm 5.30-9.45pm

Reviews of Trishna

Ms/Mrs. Joanna G

Still one of my favourites
13 May 2015
We took my brother-in-law here for a birthday meal as he had never been. We arrived on time and were taken straight to our table and given cocktail menus (we decided not to have one as we had been somewhere prior for a drink), and waited a few minutes for someone to come back to ask for the food and wine menu. Within 10 minutes or so we had our drinks and placed our food order. We decided to order lots of small plates - quail pepper fry, cauliflower samosas, 2 x aloo chat (I could eat this every day and never get tired of it, just the perfect amount of heat, sour tamarind and yoghurt, crispy potatoes and chaat), paneer, 2 x saag aloo and 2 bread baskets and some rice. Everything was superb, apart from two things : 1) the saag aloo, the potatoes were really rubbery, not at all pleasant to eat, when I told the waiter he said he would speak the chef and he came back and said "the chef tasted this, it's how it should be", so that was that! Although in fairness they did deduct one of them from our bill, but we didn't eat them; 2) the paneer came with 4 pieces bread (which weren't stated on the menu), so we really didn't need the 2 baskets of bread that we had ordered - I feel that they should have mentioned that, as we would have cancelled one of them. I had told the restaurant in advance that it was a birthday meal and they came out with a small dessert with a candle in and a happy birthday message written in chocolate, which was a very nice touch. We will definitely return.

Mr. Alex G

Best posh Indian for quite some time
09 March 2015
Trishna’s website proclaims that this is “not your average curry night.” Such an assertion speaks of self-deprecation and a recent evening here saw our (high) expectations comfortably surpassed. Trishna (owned by the same team as the currently popular Gymkhana) deservedly merits its Michelin star and we loved the sheer inventiveness and taste-sensations of the food. Admittedly my comrade and I eat a lot of Indian meals, but from our point of view, Trishna far exceeded the likes of the Cinnamon Club, Tamarind or Benares. Indeed, it was perhaps most reminiscent of Gaggan Anand’s eponymous restaurant in Bangkok (visited in September 2013), ranked one of the fifty best places to dine in the world. In both, one is taken on a culinary journey across the Indian subcontinent. None of the traditional is found here and our seven-course tasting menu saw no disappointment across any of the dishes. This achievement is all the more notable given that I opted for the omnivorous option and my comrade for the vegetarian one. Even in posh Indian restaurants, the vegetarian selection often something of an after-thought yet my often hard-to-please comrade was as effusive as me in her praise. My dishes included soft-shell crab, king prawn, sea bream, quail and guinea fowl, each coated with or accompanied by a pitch-perfect form of spice. Beware, the spice intensity is quite high (read, hot) here, but the wonderful satisfaction of a tingling tongue is hard to beat. Trishna also excelled itself in pairing wines with the food – not always an easy feat with Indian. While there were some predictable appearances such as a Scloss Johanisberg Riesling, the inclusion of a Bandol was a masterstroke and the sommelier also showed some interesting choices from Austria. We stayed for just under three hours and were the penultimate guests to leave the restaurant, but at no stage did we feel rushed or pressured and while the service was not outstanding (perhaps a bit more passion in explaining the dishes when brought to the table would help), it was very good. We will definitely be returning.

Varuni G

High end pricey indian but lives up to its hype
08 October 2014
This was my second visit to Trishna and it definitely hasnt lost any of its magic. We decided to go here as Gymkhana (famed sister restaurant) werent offering any decent times to eat and i thought it cant be that different foodwise to eat here. Dishes are either amazing hits (the guinea fowl tikka or the Aloo papdi chat [potato, masala chickpea, tamarind, sweet yoghurt]) versus quite average paneer tikka or duck keema, both of which were actually quite bland. Pricewise, came to £50 per head for three courses excluding drinks which is definitely on the high side but this is high end Indian cooking and nothing like your local tandoori. Id recommend sharing the dessert and starters as both are big portions but the mains are certainly worth the price.

Ms/Mrs. Sabina L

Tasting menu at Trishna
03 September 2013
My experience at Trishna was an all round excellent experience. There were a number of menus to choose from and we chose the tasting menu, 5 courses, with wine. Each course was well presented, tasted great and had something a little bit different about it e.g. prawn and lobster starter and a duck seekh kebab. I personally couldn't keep up with the wine, but my companion was able to help me finish it off! Service was extremely professional, with each dish being described together with the accompanying wine. Perhaps a little bit more of a friendly touch would not have gone amiss but it certainly wasn't a dealbreaker. I loved the decor as it spelt out the fact that this was an elegant outfit and not a bog standard curry house. As it was a lovely evening, the front windows were open and spilt out onto the street which made it feel quite romantic. There was a nice buzz about the place without it being too loud and an eclectic mix of people. The evening felt special enough for the occasion (my 40th birthday).

Mr. Tom C

Elegant Indian
01 July 2013
The ocassion was a birthday meal on a Friday night. After deliberation we chose the 5 course taster menu however we wanted the ‘lamb chops’ so added these on as well. The head waiter was more than happy to accomodate and also returned to inform us the extra dish was included at a discount to the set menu price which was evidenced on the bill. A pleasing start to the evening. Each course arrived delicately well presented, delivering on taste and combination of familiar and new flavours. The seam bream in green chilli exemplified this.The marinated lamb did not disappoint either. A mango mouse cleansed the palate at the end rounding off an excellent meal. Would certainly return for more Indian fine dining. TC

Wendy M

Fluke day for Michelin award, or did we just pick a bad day?
05 May 2013
We found this place quite unremarkable one Sunday lunchtime, considering 1* has been awarded. Decor slightly run-down, which could have been overlooked had the food been better. Service pleasant but oddly the more experienced member of staff was a little sloppy. The young inexperienced Spanish lady was a delight. My seafood biryani was ok, but less is more when it comes down to quality – it is nearly always possible to order extra food on the spot, but little can be done about general overall standard especially when, for me, overall enjoyment was not good. My dining partner found food mediocre too. Presentation simple which is not a fault, but just significantly more effort needed in too many departments!

Ms/Mrs. gowsia H

01 April 2013
Excellent food, amazing service, buzzy for a neighbourhood place, but did not like the canteen style seating.

Ms/Mrs. Neil M

14 January 2013
As we opened the door we were greeted by a waft of enticing spices. On a Saturday night the restaurant was rammed and was noisy so if you're looking for solitude I suspect this is not for you, but if you're looking for great food, service and a great buzzy atmosphere Trishna should be at the top of the list! The food was excellent and the portions were huge so a very generous sized doggy bag left with us.

Ms/Mrs. Sian B

07 March 2012
We had a great time here on Saturday night. It was busy and bustling, yet with a casual relaxed feel. We decided on the 5 course taster menu and whilst not all the dishes were a hit with everyone, the food is well-prepared and the presentation is modern and simple. I wouldn’t bother with the matching wine menu at £44.50 as it is difficult to hear what is being served, above the background noise, and I’m pretty confident I could have chosen some nice wines to go with my food. One small point, our main waiter was friendly, informative and efficient but he was aided by someone who wasn’t quite on the money which is why the service receives a more mixed rating. Look forward to going again.

Mr. Sheikh I

27 November 2010
Beautiful wine and cocktail selection.lovely food specially lamb chop and bream with tomato kachumber highly recommend as well as the Dorset brown crab.friendly and helpful staff.really enjoyed my birthday party.will Definitely go back again.

Other restaurants near Trishna

You are requesting to book Trishna for people on at .