The Ninth

Modern European·
London, W1T 2NB·Website·Call020 3019 0880

SquareMeal Review of The Ninth

The sum of 26 years working in big-name kitchens, this is the ninth restaurant that chef/owner Jun Tunaka has worked in – with a shiny new Michelin star to boot. Despite a sharing concept that screams ‘on-trend’, tables are regularly full to overflowing and there’s a lot to like in dishes that are “inspired, simple and of the highest quality”. A square of punchy rabbit lasagne is the ultimate in refined comfort eating, dinky spherical oxtail croquettes are impossibly moreish, and roast quail is balanced by sharp pickled cherries, with bursts of foie gras, bacon and pistachio. Check out the ‘raw and cured’ or ‘vegetable’ sections for lighter picks, and don’t pass up the caramelised lemon tart (gleaned from Jun’s time under Marco Pierre White). The two bare-brick rooms, all gleaming tables and shiny floors, are chic and contemporary. Service is “skilled and friendly”, the wine list covers all bases, and at lunchtime you’ll bag three plates for £23.

Modern European

22 Charlotte Street, London, W1T 2NB

Mon-Sat 12N-2.30pm 5.30-10.30pm

Reviews of The Ninth

06 August 2019
Cheapest wine at a michelin.

26 July 2019
Everything about this restaurant is 5 star!

Tina L

09 July 2019
Food is all for sharing with a variety of meat, fish, vegetarian dishes. Subtle and delicate tastes to satisfy our palates. Chef owner is able to mix western with Asian tastes without overpowering the flavours. Great service and cosy dining areas.

jw

Best avoided
31 May 2019

I took my daughter and her boyfriend here for a (hopefully) pleasant meal the evening before she was due to be admitted to UCLH.
She is seriously unwell (possibly terminally).
Her favourite dish from a previous visit was the langoustine ravioli.
It was disappointing this was "off" - but we amended our order and enjoyed sharing a good plate of lamb as well as a fairly indifferent grilled sea-bass.
The service was perfunctory and a bit sloppy.
Nevertheless I paid the bill (just over £90) including the ubiquitous 12.5% service charge (a bit toppy for two mains, one side, one starter, a bottle of water and a Coca Cola). So far it had been not too bad a dining experience - albeit nothing special.

BUT then things turned nasty.

On leaving Piotr Maruszczak, a commis waiter, followed us out into Charlotte Street and demanded we never return to this restaurant. He failed to explain anything clearly. It was hard to understand what the problem was with this Polish fellow. I think he suggested diners at another table had suggested to someone we were not sufficiently smartly dressed.
Whatever, after a heated argument we finally managed to secure a full refund of the bill, including that "service" charge.
I guess that makes the meal "good" value after all - but it was distressing for my daughter, and we all left with a bad taste in our mouths.
It was an experience none of us would ever wish to repeat.

fwiw - we had not booked - and had picked this restaurant as it was the only one with empty outdoor tables on a warm May evening in a street crowded with bustling restaurants and full tables.
Now I understand why it was the only one with the empty tables ...

jw

Best avoided
31 May 2019

She is seriously unwell (possibly terminally).
Her favourite dish from a previous visit was the langoustine ravioli.
The service was perfunctory and a bit sloppy.

BUT then things turned nasty.

It was an experience none of us would ever wish to repeat.

Now I understand why it was the only one with the empty tables ...

Naomi I

05 April 2019
Food and wine were brilliant.

Andrew R

21 March 2018
Loved the prawn dish.

John M

05 May 2017
Well thought out dishes in sharing style for laid back dining experience but without losing quality.

04 May 2017
Great tasting original food.

Deborah T

04 May 2017
Intimate, a small but astonishing menu, where every dish surprises and delights, so incredibly deserving of its new Michelin Star - chef Tanaka has excelled himself. The first place we take overseas visitors to.

Call The Ninth to make a booking on:

Other restaurants near The Ninth

You are requesting to book The Ninth for people on at .