The Narrow

Gastropub

About The Narrow

At the last count, Gordon Ramsay had 14 restaurants in London and an even more fluid number overseas, so you're probably unlikely to meet him nursing a pint in this one-time watering hole by the Thames. In fact, you're unlikely to find anyone at the bar these days, which has dwindled while the dining side of things continues to expand. The menu here is hardly pushing any gastronomic boundaries, but so long as dishes such as scallops with rosemary mash and crisp pancetta are competently made, no-one's complaining. Vegetarians always have interesting options (perhaps orecchiette with roasted ceps, squash and pecorino), while the carefully considered wine list offers a wide range of styles, as you would expect from Ramsay. It's not going to win him any more Michelin stars, but if you're eating out in Limehouse, narrow your choice down to this one.

Good to know about The Narrow

Seasonal Set Dinner Menu

From: 15 February, 2019
To: 17 March, 2019
Max: 12
Enjoy some local favourites for dinner from this set menu for £19 for 2 courses or £23 for 3 courses.
Availability: Mon-Fri 5:00PM-10:00PM

Location for The Narrow

44 Narrow Street, London, E14 8DP

Opening Times of The Narrow

Mon-Sun 12N-11pm (Sun -11.30pm)

Reviews of The Narrow

21 May 2014

I went to an early dinner last night- reception staff were very attentive and it was no problem when we decided to not sit down directly but to have a drink on the terrace first. The waitress could not have been more helpful – chatty – but only in a good way – an asset to the restaurant We both had fish – which was cooked perfectly and had a bottle of wine from Kent – which was a real find to have on their list – went perfectly with the fish - As I work in Canary Wharf surprised I have not been before – but now on my list – try lunch next time!

30 July 2013

We booked this restaurant for our wedding anniversary, requesting, if possible, a riverside table. I wasn't holding out much hope knowing how busy this gastropub can get, but we weren't disappointed. Upon arrival, the lovely lady on reception instantly said ‘happy anniversary’ and asked how many years it was, to which I replied ‘7’. She kindly told me that was impossible as I look about 25… I'd say this was a great start to the evening. After swiftly moving us into a gorgeous table right next to the window (fantastic view with a huge rainbow for added impact), she offered us 2 amazing wine, elderflower and gin cocktails. The evening went from strength to strength with a charming waiter, fantastic food (chicken and smoked ham terrine for me (perfect texture with fresh bread)/ scallops for him (soft, melt in the mouth type)/ fish and chips for me (no grease in sight) / steak for him (cooked exactly as requested) / shared gooseberry fool for us (ridiculous – I'm salivating just thinking of it!), all washed down with some Chapel Down English wine no less. At the end of the evening, unprompted, we were brought a slate with ‘Happy Anniversary’ written in some kind of fruit coulis served with fresh vanilla ice cream. To sum up, the friendliness, attention to detail and feeling of being valued as individual customers was really refreshing.. and the rainbow over the Thames was the cherry on the perfect vanilla ice cream.

10 June 2010

I am beginning to become wary of the term ‘gastropub’ as it is becoming associated with overblown, overpriced and a generally awful experience. My visit to the Narrow has only added to this impression of the gastropub as a waste of time. A bangers and mash with mustard mash was fine other than the fact the mash was so flavoured with mustard that I couldn't taste anything else! The sausages were great – but then I imagine the chef didn't make those! My girlfriend, as a vegetarian had a very limited choice (actually no choice at all!) of a dish of puy lentils and cabbage. When served it transpired that this (tiny) dish was actually more akin to a thick soup…and a flavourless one at that. All in all a very disappointing experience. Gordo clearly doesn't pop in here too often to sample the nosh otherwise I suspect it might be a bit better – unless of course we were just happened to be there on the day the work experience placement was running the kitchen.

01 March 2010

Truly awful. Staff are rude, unhelpful and cannot be bothered. I have had better service in US-owned fast food outlets! Food can best be described as tepid, cheap and nasty. I used to love the place and went back there as often as possible, sadly over the last 2-3 years it has gone downhill. I gave it not one but two extra chances – a real waste of time and money!

21 July 2009

View is great, food is boring and the service is a disaster. Drinks are overpriced and there are better pubs on the river less than 5 mins aways. Overhyped and over it.

Other restaurants near The Narrow

You are requesting to book The Narrow for people on at