The Ivy Chelsea Garden

Modern European

SquareMeal Review of The Ivy Chelsea Garden

Richard Caring doesn’t do things by half. Not content with moving his burgeoning Ivy brand to the King’s Road, he has duly bagged one of the best sites around, taking over a vast Edwardian building near the fire station. Caring’s eye for opulence has given the cavernous space real character, from the stately, panelled front room to the verdant Orangery and an “amazing”’ manicured garden that’s perfect for “lazing on a sunny afternoon”. The kitchen delivers “great” renditions of the Ivy’s trademark “cosy but sophisticated classics”: a Brit take on carpaccio charged with horseradish and mustard cream; crispy duck salad with five-spice dressing; the iconic shepherd’s pie loaded with slow-cooked lamb shoulder, plus desserts such as blackberry sundae. Juices and healthier salads please Chelsea’s fashionistas, breakfast brings in the early birds, and the set menu is “surprisingly economical”. We’re pleased that service seems to have smoothed out after a few early blips.

Good to know about The Ivy Chelsea Garden

Reviews of The Ivy Chelsea Garden

Mr. Evangelos S

Above expectations!
07 October 2017
amazing service, very friendly staff and the food very good, innovative and well cooked. Would be going again.

The service is the only thing that lets it down
08 August 2017
The food is fantastic the restaurant is exquisite, however the service lets it down. When I arrived for my booking - I was told my table was not ready, I was asked to sit at the bar where there were no seats. I stood being asked to move by staff every time a tray of drinks passed. I ended up standing outside until my table was ready. Once seated the waiter was polite and took me and my guests order. The drinks were delayed, but we had water to tide us over so this was fine, however he forgot to put the order in for our starters. Once the starters eventually arrived the rest of the meal flowed perfectly and the food was really good. It is just a shame because it really could be a wonderful place - if they had reserved bar seating for people with bookings and if their staff were better trained.

Awful Service
03 May 2017
Having waited 45 mins for our first drink (we had to ask 4 times) we were told to hurry up with our food orders as we were only allowed to keep the table for 2 hrs. As we didn't sit down till 20.30, I politely enquired if the table was booked after us. The same, very rude, waiter told us it didn't matter and again, to hurry up. So disappointed, as the setting is lovely - especially the garden. Food average, nothing a decent cook couldn't replicate at home, but nice enough. After a few more unpleasant interactions with our waiter (he accused one of my fellow diners of lying about their food order?!) we eventually complained to the manager. Although he was friendly enough, he did nothing and we all went home rather disappointed. Unacceptable to be talked to like that anywhere!

Fantastic lunch at The Ivy Garden
19 September 2016
We went to the Ivy Garden as an early birthday treat for my sister. We were greeted by very friendly and welcoming staff, our waiter was lovely, greeting us and then allowing us time to choose what we would like to order with out ever going to far if we were ready early. We ordered from the weekend brunch menu, ordering the Eggs Royale (£9.50) and the Avocado and spinach Benedict (£8.25), both were lovely, very tasty! We also felt it was reasonable considering the quality and the setting. We didn't have a desert, just some tea, but we did have the selection of truffles which were very nice. Our waiter made a special effort to bring out a little fruit tart with a 'happy birthday' chocolate which was very well received. (I had let the restaurant know about her birthday beforehand). Overall a very pleasant experience, one which I would definitely like to repeat.

Ms/Mrs. Edel W

Saturday Breakfast
02 November 2015
Lovely interiors, great atmosphere, very tasty food, surprisingly overpriced drinks, including £3.75 for a cup of tea, and incredibly inept, rude staff. From bringing the wrong drinks to bringing no drinks, to disappearing completely when you needed them most, the staff here almost ruined what was otherwise a lovely experience.

Mr. Stuart C

Lazing On A Sunny Afternoon
16 August 2015
My wife and I were excited when friends invited us to try the Ivy Chelsea Garden, especially as I'd only recently been to the newly re-opened Ivy 'original' and even very impressed. I understand that tables are hard to come by but our friends are in the public eye so that wasn't a problem and we were lucky with the weather. We arrived at 12.30 and didn't leave until gone 5pm. The sun shone all day and we had a prime table so our experience would surely be a good one...and it was. Ok, we were steadily ordering food and wine, but at no time were we hurried yet the staff were attentive. Unsurprisingly, given that this is part of Richard Caring's empire, but the food, wine, service and ambience made for a lovely day. Highly recommended.....if you can get a table.

Ms/Mrs. Monika S

Summer in the city
28 July 2015
The Ivy has long been on my list of places to go, but the formula 1 pace of new exciting restaurants in London have thwarted me. The Ivy has had a glamorous make over and opened 2 new branches, one in well-heeled Chelsea and another in Covent Garden. I happened to be having a day in the sales at Harvey Nics and booked The Ivy Chelsea Garden, for a rather convenient indulgent lunch with the girls in London's heatwave. The draw here is the Orangery , which is a mix of English country garden/ Miami hotel and the Chelsea Flower Show. The inside is very smart as well with brass and posh fittings, but for me sitting outside in London, with a glass of Rose and nice bit of fish is hard to beat. As expected from the Ivy the food delivers at a high standard and but rather surprisingly economical as well if you go for the set lunch. A bargain at £16.50 for 2 courses including a perfectly cooked white fish and a choccie nutty heavenly dessert, result, next stop harvey nics to spend my savings! The a la carte menu is one to cherish and take to bed.... it has all your cosy but sophisticated classics... crispy duck salad, eggs benedict, shepherds pie, dark treacle tart and the list goes on. Service was a little slow but otherwise polite. Go catch the rest of London's summer sun and bagsy a classy table at the Ivy Chelsea Garden.

Service Charge AND Gratuity
23 June 2015
I don't normally write reviews but I am incensed enough to write about a brunch boking we made for this restaurant on Sunday. Having booked brunch, I was disappointed to be told that they were only serving breakfasts. They were very unsympathetic that I'd booked a brunch and expected a brunch menu. To make matters worse, the menu stated that there would be a 12.5% service charge, Fair enough, that isn't unusual and it was duly added to my bill. What annoyed me was that I was presented with the credit card device showing "Gratuity (Y/N)?". How much more do they want? If they want more money they should increase the prices in the menu. If it's for the staff, they should pay them properly.

Other restaurants near The Ivy Chelsea Garden