British·

COVID-19 Update for The Five Fields

Updated on 08 Jul 2020

In addition to our already very rigorous hygiene and safety regime we have implemented the following changes.
? Several tables have been removed from the dining room. This will not only reduce the number of guests in the building at any one time, but it has also enabled us to allow more space between tables.
? On tables of 2, guests are not sat directly across from each other as per government recommendation and tables of 4 are arranged to maintain government recommended distancing.
? Our menus are single use and will now be placed on the tables prior to service ready for guests’ arrival.
? All tables will be sanitised between sittings.
? Sitting times have been adjusted to help reduce multiple arrivals and we ask that all guests endeavour to arrive as close to their reservation time as possible. Guests are, of course, still welcome to arrive early and alight to the upstairs lounge when it is available.
? The restaurant is equipped with multiple hospital grade HEPA filters within its state of the art air handling system. We have also increased the air flow throughout the building.
? We will have hand sanitiser available at the reception of the restaurant and will encourage anyone who wishes to use it.
? The team within the Dining Room have ready access to hand sanitiser and will use it after each close contact with guests (eg removing plates/glasses from tables).
? London Taxis can be arranged on departure for any guests who wish not to travel by public transport.
? Every team member is temperature checked upon arrival and asked to immediately and thoroughly wash their hands. Anyone showing signs of elevated temperature will not be allowed to work. Similarly they have all been briefed on the symptoms to look out for and to notify their direct supervisor should they show symptoms associated with Covid-19.
? Contactless payments are available and actively encouraged whenever guests are able.

Read more on their website

SquareMeal Review of The Five Fields

“Incomparably warm and genuine service” makes everyone feel like a valued regular at this unfussy, intimate restaurant, where the staff are really on point and the food is “sublimely fresh”. Five Fields is everything you might expect from a Michelin-starred establishment with neighbourly virtues.

Taylor Bonnyman’s cooking is “beautiful and creative, yet never too precious”, as exemplified by starters that are virtual feasts in their own right: consider a combo involving a whole langoustine buried in shaved truffle, plus a poached oyster under diced watermelon, and also a whole roasted scallop; or five super-fresh, veg-led ideas redolent of the owner’s Sussex farm, spanning everything from a whole stuffed beef tomato dotted with thyme leaves to a courgette flower brimming with crab mousse, and olive-filled cross-sections of cucumber.

Meaty mains of roasted mutton with whole artichokes and watercress purée or short-ribs (slow-cooked yet still a miraculously perfect pink) with a witty, cream-filled roast new potato, braised lettuce and tomato sauce are more traditionally presented, yet still manage to wow – thanks largely to remarkable produce and thoughtful technique.

For pudding, the signature glazed chocolate mousse with sesame and hints of smoke is hard to pass up, although you might also be tempted by the thought of a pineapple baba with Chantilly cream and cider brandy.

The warmly lit, low-ceilinged room is smart, classy and classic, with widely spaced tables and grey-cream colours, while respectful service is singled out by readers as “exemplary”. Meanwhile, ace sommelier Anna Botting’s wine list puts modern producers centre stage. In short, Five Fields is reckoned to be “a fantastic all-round dining experience” – a verdict we’re happy to endorse.

££££ - Over £80
British
Fine dining, Glamorous, Luxury, Quiet conversation, Romantic, Widely spaced tables
Other Awards
One Michelin star
Gluten-free options, Vegetarian options, Wheelchair access
Birthdays, Celebrations, Dates, Romantic, Special occasions
Food Hygiene Rating

FAQs

Can you book at The Five Fields?

Although ther are occasionally walk-in tables available, we highly recommend reservations are made in advance.

What is the dress code at The Five Fields?

We recommend smart-casual. Sport wear is discouraged and gentlemen tend to wear jackets though this is not obligatory.

Does The Five Fields offer gluten-free options?

Yes, much of the menu can be adapted to exclude gluten.

Location for The Five Fields

Sat 18:30-22:00
Sun Closed

Reviews of The Five Fields

Simon D

If only the front of house cared as much as the chefs
13 August 2020

I've previously reviewed this restaurant and back then gave it 5 stars, it was well deserved and a hidden gem. Since then I've been back a few times, so I thought I knew what to expect.

But our visit last Friday night proved to be a completely different experience.
Not the food, that's still pretty good. However, on this occasion, the evening was ruined to some degree by the petulant argumentative 'welcome' from someone who really should consider whether the hospitality industry really is for him.

Having given him my name, he insisted I hadn't booked a table. He then went on to ask, was it under another name? No, it wasn't. Unable to find my booking he then told me, I had booked it for the previous night but that had been cancelled. I said, no I had booked it for the Friday. Then like a petulant child, he once again repeated I had not booked.... and then followed it up with....but it's okay as we have a table.

WTF!

If I hadn't eaten there before and known what to expect from the food and were not with my wife and son, I would have walked out.

I truly feel sorry for the rest of the staff, front and kitchen who work extremely hard to make this place work, only to be let down by one of their own.

Oh and guess what I found on my computer later that evening, the booking confirmation.

But our visit last Friday night proved to be a completely different experience.

WTF!

I look forwards to your apology.

Wendy P

06 August 2019
Consistently excellent food, amazing presentation, a changing and interesting menu and really fantastic service. The ambiance is always so comfortable that you forget you are in a restaurant (apart from the discreet service!). It's our favourite restaurant.

Lesley A

28 June 2019
Wonderful service, exceptional wine list & imaginative takes on seasonal produce.

Paul A

Straight into our top ten
09 April 2019

One look at the tasting menu and the choice was made. As is the norm these days there was a minimum of information about the ingredients and the style of preparation, but it was clear that nothing would not be to our taste. It was very comfortable in the good open dining room and for a change we were not assailed by piped music, the professional staff made us feel at home immediately, especially our excellent sommelière, and we were served not only very good canapés, cod mousse in a wafer tube and ham and piccalilli dumplings, but also an amuse-bouche of well-tempered cheese custard with salt-baked kohlrabi, carrot and soup - none of which formed part of the tasting menu, a traditional approach to the start of a meal which some other top restaurants could learn from. Now it was on to the eight-course tasting menu proper - a rhubarb cornet with braised asparagus and razor clam combined with Cornish scallop was followed by new season Wye valley asparagus in a bone marrow emulsion and oyster with an asparagus salad served in a wafer. Then the first in a sequence of supremely good offerings - freeze-dried raspberries with beetroot purée and a seaweed wafer backing up delicious foie gras and amazing smoked eel cubes that were absolutely out of this world with the purée. Quality continued at this high level on the next course in the form of brilliant crispy Cornish cod enhanced with garlic, brown butter and mussel sauce, mussels and roast cauliflower. Not content with this, the kitchen then assailed our palates with a terrific pairing of morels stuffed with duck offal, backed up with a super duck jus and broccoli. Herefordshire beef then put in an appearance, our short rib melting in the mouth, tasting just as it should and benefiting from a touch of luscious fat, some lightly cooked turnip crisp in red wine sauce and slightly salty nasturtium leaves making this dish one to savour and remember. The pre-dessert/palate cleanser, a caramel wafer with cucumber sorbet and pink grapefruit, worked perfectly and set us up nicely for the yummy chocolate, fruity gel and crunchy, honeycomb-like hazelnut biscuit. We were not prepared for Five Fields to be as good as this. We now have yet another delightful London addition to our list of restaurants to return to.

Marian D

08 April 2019
Wonderfully original use of sparklingly fresh ingredients. Best tasting menu ever.

Patricia O

05 April 2019
Prix fixed menu - fabulous foods, the service is great the dining room is upscale and very elegant.

Lloyd S

Magical Evening
04 September 2018
This was a long overdue return to The Five Fields but I have to say it was definitely worth the wait as it turned out to be a truly fabulous evening. We've been here twice before but the last time was over two and a half years ago and I can honestly say it won't be anywhere near as long before we're back again. Set just of the Kings Road and only a short walk from Sloane Square tube station is where you'll find the restaurant. As you enter the restaurant you immediately get a lovely homely feeling along with a warm and very friendly greeting. As you look into the dining area you see the tables down each side are set out for couples where each person faces inwards. There are larger tables down the centre plus upstairs is a Private Dining Room. Once seated we were treated to a delightful glass of Welsh Sparkling Rose from the Ancre Hill Estates. We also enjoyed some amazing snacks while we looked at the menu. On this occasion we decided to opt for the eight course Tasting Menu. It was then time to meet the wonderful sommelier Anna who it was a pleasure to chat to throughout the evening. Regarding our choice of wine we said that we would like to just have a bottle than the matched wine option to which Anna recommended a fabulous Riesling Trocken from Germany which was an absolute delight and really matched each course nicely. Now onto the food itself and we started with a stunning Scallop with Tomatillo & Lime this was followed by a heavenly Lobster with Fennel & Lardo. These dishes were brought to us by our Spanish waitress Lourdes who was so friendly and professional and truly added to our magical evening The next two courses were equally fantastic. The first being an amazing Beef Tartare with Mushroom followed by a simply stunning Foie Gras with a Beetroot Brioche & Blackberries Before we got to the main course we had the pleasure of a beautiful Turbot dish which came with Seaweed & Garlic So now it was time for the mains to which there was a choice of two. One being Roe Deer served with Courgette & Potato and the other was Grouse which came with Pumpkin & Girolles. We decided to have one dish each and can honestly say they were both worthy of being the highlight dish of the evening as they were just amazing Before dessert we decided to opt for a cheese course which apart from one French cheese the rest were British & Irish. The cheese was nicely presented to us by our delightful waitress Lourdes We then had a pre dessert which was a fabulous Melon with Hazelnut & Orange. This led us into our last course a delightful dessert of Honey , Lemon & Tarragon and the Sweet Wine chosen by Anna a Vouvray from the Loire Valley matched the dessert beautifully This brought an end to an outstanding evening where the food , wine and service was of the highest order and will definitely go down as one of the highlights of the year. Therefore I would highly recommend that you put a visit to this restaurant very close to the top of your list and as I said at the beginning it certainly won't be very long before I return

Matthew W

29 June 2018
Having dined at The Five Fields on several occasions, I am always more impressed than the previous visit. The food is in equal measure beautiful and creative while never too 'precious.' The service is incomparably warm and genuine and has always made my visits feel as though I am their most regular customer. The wine list, while not the largest or most developed in London, is thoughtful and well priced with the odd bargain still in there for those willing to look. A second star is inevitable.

Carolyn H

27 June 2018
A fantastic all round dining experience. Service was exemplary. The food was sublime: the freshest ingredients with interesting flavour combinations, all presented beautifully. First class female sommelier. Summary - brilliant.

Alex G

Five Stars
25 September 2017
Three-quarters of the way through 2017 and I can confidently state that a recent dinner at The Five Fields constitutes the best culinary experience I have enjoyed in London this year. Food, wine and service were all superlative. Small touches are often the most memorable: the occasion for our visit was the birthday of my dining comrade and the menus at our table were stamped with birthday greetings – an easy thing to do, but very gratifying. The restaurant has also remembered that my comrade was vegetarian and her dedicated tasting menu was presented with a flourish from our waiter’s pocket. The champagne with which we began was deep and rich from a boutique grower (Charotgne-Taillet) and our amuse-bouches a great way to kick things off. A tiny tart of snail and black pudding was superbly innovative and packed an incredible amount of flavour for something so simple. Back to the small touches and bread/butter is often a great way to gauge a restaurant. Here, there was a great range (the challenge was not to eat too much before the food proper arrived) and the butter had a melt-in-the-mouth texture. We proceeded to the tasting menus, comprising seven dishes in total. Not a single was a disappointment: from my side, the suckling pig and grouse were absolute stand-outs, while my colleague praised highly her spelt and cep risotto. We opted for paired wines throughout and our sommelier showed knowledge and enthusiasm, taking the effort to engage with us. Things concluded with a small cake plus candle – a delightful way to end. Pricing was comparable to other similar experiences in the capital and worth every penny. If there were one quibble, then it might be the loud voices of some of the well-heeled Chelsea residents seated on nearby tables, which intruded somewhat. Maybe it comes with the territory, but a return visit is undoubtedly in order.

Other restaurants near The Five Fields

You are requesting to book The Five Fields for people on at .