The English Restaurant

British, Wine Bars

SquareMeal Review of The English Restaurant

”A complete joy – a lovely venue”, proclaimed one fan of these brown-fronted, 17th-century listed premises, which scream tradition with their promise of ‘dinners and old wines, ports, game in season, shellfish…’ The ground floor’s charming all-wood interior has a touch of the East End boozer about it, but things get more refined in the comfy upstairs dining room, with its shaker-style design and green/beige colour scheme. Early risers can start the day with a fried-egg sandwich or full English fry-up, although the main menu leavens its patriotic offer of oyster fritters, devilled whitebait and queen of puddings with some interlopers in the shape of beef carpaccio with artichoke and pickled horseradish, scallops with cauliflower couscous or braised pork belly with sauerkraut and black pudding. The “extensive” wine list is a terrific read, with excellent tasting notes and some off-beat selections.

Good to know about The English Restaurant

British, Wine Bars
Group dining [8+]

Location for The English Restaurant

50/52 Brushfield Street, Spitalfields, London, E1 6AG

Opening Times of The English Restaurant

Mon-Fri 8am-11pm Sat-Sun 9.30am-11pm (Sun -7pm)

Reviews of The English Restaurant

garry B

dinner
22 June 2016
good food and service in a very nice traditional setting. Enjoyed by our whole group.

Will definitely return!
16 February 2014
My partner and I cannot fault this restaurant! I had fillet steak which was cooked perfectly and tasted so good. My partner had sea bass which was very tasty too. The chocolate fondant was amazing and the coffee was one of the best we have had in London. They have a very extensive wine list and plenty of beers to choose from…the waiter made a great beer recommendation for me too. For 2 mains, 2 beers, one dessert and 2 coffees it came to just over £70 which I would happily pay again for the quality of food we had. Would definitely recommend!

Ms/Mrs. Liz L

A great pleasure....
03 February 2014
This was a complete joy – a lovely venue, in just the right place for our subsequent event, great food and lovely service. This restaurant reminds me of the kind of place that can be found on many corners in Paris but is sadly rare and hard to find in the UK. The food was beautifully prepared, of very good quality and fairly priced. The room was comfortable, cosy, not too noisy and pleasantly lit. I was impressed that diners can order from the (cheaper) lunch menu up to 6.30pm because this provides a kind of pre-theatre, pre-doing-something-else option which is very useful.

Ms/Mrs. Jennifer A

Great local foodie pub for Valentines
19 February 2013
I chose The English Restaurant as a valentines dinner treat for my boyfriend because he loves game dishes and it would be something a bit different. The scallops, whitebait and Tuna were all excellent. They also had a good selection of wines, including half bottles which are great for a school night. It was clear that they take a lot of care with their food and drink selection, but without any sort of pretentious atmosphere. It was just a comfortable place to have great food and a good drink. The staff was also very accommodating and friendly, taking time to chat with us and seating us about 30 min early on the night when we arrived well before our booking. We will definitely be back.

Other restaurants near The English Restaurant