Italian

SquareMeal Review of Taberna Etrusca

Like some of the racing cars pictured on its walls, Taberna Etrusca has come to be regarded as a 1960s classic. The setting couldn’t be more Cockney (note the lovely courtyard almost beneath Bow Bells), but at heart this is a “typical” City trattoria with chummy service, good wines and “tranquil” evening sessions in contrast to busy lunchtimes. “Massive portions” satisfy on a basic level, but the kitchen has merits beyond mere sustenance: “full-flavoured” dishes often embrace international influences, as in a confit duck salad with peanut, orange and chilli dressing or anchovy tempura atop grilled Shropshire chicken with Caesar salad. There’s fresh homemade pasta too – try the chitarra spaghetti with sliced beef fillet sautéed in garlic, chilli and plum tomato. With its noticeable Italian tilt, the wine list provides gratifyingly wide choice at the lower end – a sensible approach to pricing that’s much-valued by regulars.

Good to know about Taberna Etrusca

Reviews of Taberna Etrusca

Ms/Mrs. Julie R

Service without a smile
12 December 2016
Having used Taberna on a number of occasions for what were very pleasant lunches, it did not seem too big a risk to book a table for a pre-festive catch up with a friend. On arrival my heart momentarily sank to see the restaurant set up for so many larger size parties with a handful of smaller tables haphazardly wedged in to what limited space remained. The first table we were shown to was not only placed in the main walkway but was also so close to a neighbouring table that neither occupant would have been able to move without the explicit permission of their neighbour! Fortunately we spotted a slightly better positioned table a deux and our request to move was accepted. Whilst I still had to hang on to my wine glass whenever the serving staff attended to the adjacent table, at least we did have to be on first name terms with our fellow diners. We opted for the a la carte menu and whilst our meal of squid, crab risotto, sea bass and a shared plate of cheese is unlikely to have any top chef shaking in his boots, it was relatively tasty, good size portions if a little carelessly presented; my risotto was accompanied by four prawns, but rather than make a feature of them they were just left submerged in the beigeness of the dish, with not even a sprinkling of chopped herbs to raise its appearance. What really lets this place down though is the utter disinterest and lack of engagement of all the waiting staff; they gave the impression that they really could not be bothered with any of their customers and basically just went through the motions of taking orders and bringing dishes to the table. Having experienced first class service with lively and fully engaged staff at the nearby Temple & Sons earlier in the week (and notably paying a similar amount for both meals, so it’s clearly not a case of you get what you pay for) it was a sharp contrast between the good, and not so good, of eating out in the Square Mile.

Perfect for lunch
19 July 2016
We made a reservation outside however by lunch time it was slightly chilly, they kindly allowed us to switch tables to move inside. The Paccheri con Gamberi was very tasty with large prawns. Great portions. I have visited this venue many times, the food is excellent and staff are very accommodating.

Lovely food
12 October 2015
Food was delicious. Best tiramisu in town!

Mr. Stephen L

Always good
02 October 2015
As a longstanding City venue this restaurant is consistently good. A classic menu supplemented by specials make it worth a visit for a business lunch or dinner

Great food in a great restaurant
08 July 2015
My colleagues and I really enjoyed our lunch at this restaurant. Although we have frequented many Italian restaurants in the area, we had not visited this one before. We all really liked what we ordered, as well as the drinks (sampling of the G&T menu is a must). The prices were also very reasonable for the portions given. The service was also very good.

Ms/Mrs. Julie R

Pasta perfect
10 June 2015
Ashamed to say, but despite working in the City for more years than I care to recall, I never took much notice of Etrusca, although have whiled away many a lunchtime in the neigbouring Wine Vaults......Lunch with two new colleagues, all being a bit polite on likes/dislkes, led to us visiting Etrusca for what turned out to be a really decent plate of pasta, even when two of us went for the day's special of lobster linguine. Huge portions meant that the continued politeness of no-one having a starter actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise! Truly is a step back in time, but if you are looking for traditional Italian fayre you cannot go too far wrong here. Service was a tad on the cool side to start, but warmed up considerably when we were effusive in our compliments for the meal.

Good central City lunch venue
03 June 2015
Booked this venue for lunch with friends, overall good choice of dishes on the menu, plenty of waiters and waitresses to accomondate the size of the restaurant, not bad value for money, decent reaonably priced bottle of Malbec. Overall I would recommend this little place, service and quality of food was very good - 3 very statisfied diners! I would surely choose this venue again.

Mr. Russell N

03 June 2014
I booked this for lunch with a friend as the reviews were reasonably positive. I was badly disappointed. The service was dreadful – a quick lunch (starters & main courses only, no dessert) took 90 minutes mainly because to order, one first had to find a member of staff who was not engaged chatting to the kitchen staff. My guest had a glass of the house sauvignon blanc while waiting for me and said it was almost undrinkable. The pinot grigio was apparently better. I stuck to tap water. We both had the whitebait to start, which were soggy and served with a spicy mayonnaise which had clearly been left hanging about in small serving pots because mine had a kind of skin on. Nice (not). The main course we chose was also the same the cod with olives. The spinach was so overcooked it was inedible. The fish was also over-cooked and dry. For the above we paid £75 for two including just two glasses of wine and two coffees. Go elsewhere.

Mr. Laurence C

25 May 2012
One of the worst experience I ever had in the city. The service is very bad from beginning to the end and more importantly when you ask the manager what he could do or propose to compensate this uncompetence, he was just able to propose nothing. This restaurant treats people like animals and just want your money … The food is average and expensive. Don't expect to have what you ordered, they usually make mistakes. Don't go to this place, there are far more bether nice places to go for a lunch in the city.

Other restaurants near Taberna Etrusca

You are requesting to book Taberna Etrusca for people on at