Japanese, Sushi

SquareMeal Review of Roka Mayfair

Roka’s brand of high-gloss contemporary Japanese food continues to wow the crowds on Charlotte Street and Canary Wharf, and owner Arjun Waney has now launched a further outlet – in the one-time bank premises formerly occupied by short-lived Italian restaurant, Banca. Once again, the robata grill takes centre stage and many favourite items from Roka’s back catalogue are on show – from lamb cutlets with Korean spices or black cod marinated in yuzu miso to soft-shell crab with roasted chilli dressing or rice hotpot with king crab and wasabi tobiko, plus a galaxy of sushi and sashimi recast for glamorous big-city appetites. There are also a cluster of new dishes, and drinkers can enjoy the usual high-end list of sakés, global wines and sexy shochu-based cocktails.

££££ - Over £80

Reviews of Roka Mayfair

Lloyd S

A very enjoyable evening
03 December 2019

This was our second visit to a Roka restaurant but our first visit to their Mayfair branch. The restaurant is situated on North Audley Street in between Grosvenor Square and Oxford Street. As we entered on Friday you could immediately feel the buzz as there was quite a lively atmosphere. The staff were there to greet you and gave us a nice friendly welcome before escorting us to our table. In the middle of the restaurant is the open kitchen with counter seating all around. The rest of the seating are on a mixture of tables for small or larger groups plus in the corner next to the bar were three tables with bar stools and this was in fact where we were seated. They have a large menu including tempura , sushi , sashimi , robata grill & desserts. There is also the choice of three Tasting Menus and in fact this is what we decided to go for and chose the Kisetsu no Kaiseki menu.

We started with Spinach Leaves & Sesame Dressing. This was followed by the Tuna , Salmon & Yellowtail Sashimi. This was served with the Yellowtail Tartare with Lemon , Chilli & Ginger Pearls. Next to come was the Seared Salmon with Sesame & Ponzu Dressing.

We then moved on to the next selection of dishes starting with the Maki Rolls of Spicy Mixed Sashimi with Green Beans & Spring Onion. Next was the assorted Vegetable Tempura with a Spicy Yuzu Sauce. The final dish of this section was the Beef , Ginger & Sesame Dumplings.

We continued to the next section which started with some delicious Asparagus with Sweet Soy & Sesame. Following this was Spicy Beef & Pepper Skewers then we finished with Eggplant in Mirin , Ginger & Soy.

The final dish before moving on to dessert was the Sea Bream Fillet with Ryotel Miso & Red Onion which was absolutely fantastic. This led us on to dessert which was a heavenly Dessert Platter and a perfect way to finish.

We finished with a coffee to bring to an end a great evening where the food was fantastic and was matched by excellent friendly service especially Jorge. I would highly recommend a visit and would also advise you to book as they were very busy throughout the evening. I'll look forward to returning again one day soon

Anjali S

28 June 2019
Excellent quality of food and efficient service.

Ashling B

10 July 2018
Food and service is amazing. It's a beautiful restaurant and highly reccommend the tasting menu!

Gabriela M

27 June 2018
The ambiance is very elegant and quiet, i like it, the food and quality as well as the ingredients are great, but I still think is a bit over price for what they serve in terms of quantity.

Judit K

24 April 2018
Amazing ambience, food to die for.

Laura J

21 March 2018
Outstanding food, reasonably prices and superb wine list. Buzzy and friendly atmoshere. Decor shabby chic but excellent reest rooms.

Alex G

Doesn’t rock for me
06 October 2017
I first reviewed this branch of Roka not long after it opened in summer 2014. Since then, I have been back probably half-a-dozen times both for lunch and dinner, but on each occasion – and despite being willing to give the place the benefit of the doubt (again) – I have been disappointed. A recent weekday lunch did nothing to change my impression. At this stage, an explanatory note is probably required: readers would be entitled to ask why, if I find Roka so disappointing, do I keep returning? The simple answer is that I don’t choose to. Herein, lies the fundamental problem of Roka: people like to go here and be seen, not because it is fundamentally good – it is a place of style over substance. The clientele comprises diners on corporate expense accounts and ladies who lunch. I get irritated with the place the minute I arrive – not just the people, but the excessively heavy door which one is forced to push to enter, forbidding rather than welcoming. It’s hard to fault the food – and I loved the octopus skewers and black cod in particular – but we were forced to choose from a limited range of options since quite a few were simply ‘not available.’ This was the blunt message received from the person serving us, no apology offered or alternative solution suggested. I’ll come back to service in a second, but while on food, two other bugbears: Roka has a largely incomprehensible menu (it being not at all clear what might be an appropriate quantity to consume, or in which order); and, one that is inconstant (several dishes which my comrade had enjoyed at Roka last time were no longer made at this branch – again no explanation proffered). On service, we had almost to beg for attention from the ‘too cool to be here’ servers. There was a very long wait even for our order to be taken and getting replacement plates for our sushi course became much more of a chore than it needed to be. Finally, on price, and all I’ll say is I’m glad someone else was paying: £180 for two with only water to drink and no coffee at the end of the meal is eye-watering to say the least. Conclusion – money can be spent better elsewhere.

Rita L

28 May 2017
One of the best and creative sushi restaurants. The menu is well thought through and the dishes presented in creative way.

Sue M

05 May 2017
Again perfect Japanese food. Great location for meetings and good location for events. Staff are knowledgeable of the and polite. One of my faves.

Itish P

04 May 2017
Excellent sushi.

Other restaurants near Roka Mayfair

You are requesting to book Roka Mayfair for people on at .