Spanish
Takeaway service
Home delivery

Delivery or takeaway

Order takeaway from Pizarro by calling 020 7378 9455.

Call Pizarro to make a booking on:

COVID-19 Update for Pizarro

Updated on 03 Jul 2020

Re-opening on 15th July

SquareMeal Review of Pizarro

Squaremeal London Hot 100 2016This is the smarter of José Pizarro’s two Bermondsey eateries, and the only proper sit-down option – although we recommend perching at the kitchen counter and enjoying some “great theatre” if you can. This is a good-looking place, contemporary without being achingly fashionable, and it attracts a local crowd to match. The ingredients are always top quality and handled with expertise by the kitchen team: meltingly soft chicken livers on sourdough are “a must-try”; grilled baby gem lettuce is paired with blue cheese, piquillo peppers and caramelised walnuts; Cornish hake might be grilled on the plancha and served with sautéed potatoes. To finish, expect inventive desserts ranging from a strawberry soup with basil and lime granita to cream-cheese ice cream with blackcurrant and chamomile syrup. The wine list is among London’s best for good Spanish producers and emerging regions. There’s a newer branch in the City, but fans tend to favour this “truly remarkable” original.

Spanish
Eat at Home
Home delivery, Takeaway service
Lively
All day dining
Food Hygiene Rating

Location for Pizarro

194 Bermondsey Street, Bermondsey, London, SE1 3TQ

Mon-Sun 12N-10.45pm (Sun -9.45pm)

Reviews of Pizarro

02 July 2019
Not a massive fan of tapas restaurants but particularly enjoyed this restaurant.

Fi C

27 April 2018
Wonderful food.

Shelley M

Delicious as always
26 May 2016
You MUST try the chicken livers - sweet, meltingly soft livers on a slice of sourdough that mops up the delicate juices. Got to be done - time and time again if I could. Staff friendly, relaxed and attentive with great theatre if sitting at the cooking-bar.

recommendable place, remarkable food and wine, just don't let service rush you too much!
04 December 2015
We loved the cosy interiors, lighting concept and of course the main reason for checking in: food and wine! Truly remarkable. Lovely Christmas inspired chocolate cake desert. However some deduction of stars due to the atmosphere and service being affected by friendly but awfully rushing staff who remind you at all times you only have so much of your 2 hour slot left and that they are overbooked. Makes it harder to relax and enjoy even 2 hours were plenty for us for 3 courses. Even worse they don't hesitate cleaning up the table before you might have finished. We counted four times asking to keep tapas. The olives were removed anyways and we ended up leaving the last pits on the blank table as there were no more plates. Really? Make it very clear you intend to indulge in what you pay for and you will be fine.

Alexandra S

Iberica Ham - at its best with Pizarro
15 May 2015
This was my third dining experience at Pizarro over the last 2 years and I’m wishing I had come back sooner! The chef and the kitchen staff have turned it up another notch and our dishes were near perfect. The menu is small and at first sight doesn’t conform to the usual tapas formula that we have become accustomed to at usual run of the mill spanish restaurants. Instead the flavours of Spain are caught in inventive and exciting plates that can either be shared or devoured by one. The couple I particularly wished I’d had to myself were the octopus, beautifully soft and served with an exquisite sauce and a very attractive crab and prawn cannelloni roll. Then came the showstopper, and generally agreed by my party of 4, the best piece of pork we have tasted. Said pork was a shoulder from an acorn fed iberica pig, unusually served rare. The meat was sliced and served in a typical Spanish serving dish complete with potatoes and padron peppers. To say the pork was tender does not do it justice and the taste was utterly magnificent. I will be back very soon for another serving of that delicious nutty little piggy.

Shirley G

Great food, friendly staff and a good atmosphere

Monika S

Pizzaro
26 November 2013
At the foot of the Shard in London Bridge, you can find London's version of Deia (gourmet heaven in the Marjorcan hills), Bermondsey Street. Not as glamorous as Deia obviously, but this once grey windy street has metamorphosed into a little foodie haven with Artisan shops. Big hitters include Zucca, Jose, Casse Croute and todays indulgence Pizzaro. This place is an offshoot of popular tapas bar Jose (ex chef from Tapas Brindisa). The advantages are it is bigger, you can book ahead (none of that lottery queuing for a table) and there is room for a pram but it is the same lip-smacking Spanish food. The feel is a relaxed wine bar vibe with a big rustic table in the middle, window seats, cosier booths and some attractive tiling, open kitchen, bare bricks and bottles of booze on show. My only gripe would be the limited menu, although sometimes having a shorter choice enables one to be a tad more daring. There is a daily changing menu with 3 of each course for a very reasonable price (£20) and then specials on the blackboard, which can add up. We did both and shared it. Get stuck in to finely battered tempura vegetables with a honey glaze, cod pil pil (creamy flaky cod in olive oil) and pulled meaty pork with buttery mash and jus. Other Spanish staples include chorizo, mackerel, sweet sherry…The service was friendly and relaxed and did not have the hoi polloi that you get in Tapas Brindisa (although this was lunchtime). I can't believe we have this rather special foodie street in this rather urban location. Next time Jose.

Mittal S

Food and wine heaven
09 April 2013
Great and unusual wines by the glass, which we chose over the usual Rioja or Tempranillo thanks to their informative and friendly barman who took us on an oenophilic journey of Spain whilst we dug into delicious small plates featuring marinaded, roasted and ultimately flavoursome morsels. Its busy at the best of times but even though we were seated at the bar close to the entrance, we could still take in the atmosphere in full and what a buzz it is. Perfect for when Jose is packed like sardines.

Angela E

06 December 2012
Pizarro's reputation had me drooling , and a cold winter night spurred my expectations of warm delicious satisfying food. The no booking policy was a nuisance , as sitting at the bar , facing the oven, or in the window facing the windy street , ( the only options )meant a conversation between 3 people was not easy . The staff were busy , but welcoming . The service was good , and we had the entertainment value of watching all the dishes being plated up . My friends chose well, and were happy as they knew the menu , I started with a delicious little squid dish . My main of vegetables “ en Papillote” was a real disappointment. I had imagined delicious little morsels of wonderful vegetables , with some sort of seasoning , wrapped carefully in parchment paper . So much for my imagination . As I was sitting facing the oven I saw this sad little parcel cut open by the chef , to expose a foil envelope , with a layer of paper , and all the steam escaping . So when it arrived it was cool, soggy , and tasteless . I emptied the Aluminium envelope ( so unappetising ) and found slices of just on the hard edge of ‘al dente ‘ vegetables ; carrots , potatoes, pumpkin and maybe fennel . It was lifted by a tasty portion of salsa romesco. I admit I made the wrong choice , and did not complain ; mea culpa . So being trendy , being polar , and being busy , is not necessarily a good omen . Happy hunting and eating !

Other restaurants near Pizarro

Flour & Grape

Flour & Grape

Hakata Ramen + Bar

Hakata Ramen + Bar

GB Grill & Bar

GB Grill & Bar

You are requesting to book Pizarro for people on at .