SquareMeal Review of MARCUS

A towering room of mahogany panels, gleaming architrave, deep-pile carpets and plush, peppermint-leather seating attended by battalions of suited staff; MARCUS (the restaurant) is as imposing as Mr Wareing’s culinary reputation – and “totally worth it”, according to one of its many fans.

Readers are rightly enamoured of the “stunning food” and “sensational, seasonal dishes” on offer in this patrician hotel dining room, although current chef-patrons Mark and Shauna Froydenlund (long-serving Wareing alumni) are starting to make their mark on proceedings with many new ideas fleshing out the already fascinating repertoire.

One reader’s “excellent lunch taster menu” yielded sourdough crumpets with cockle butter, turf-smoked trout with wild leek and sorrel oil, then slow-cooked rib of beef with braised onions and wild garlic, all culminating in Mr Wareing’s genre-defining Lancashire custard tart complete with a perfect wobble.

The fuller tasting menu is similarly appealing and eminently approachable, as in rack, loin and confit belly of Herdwick lamb with heritage beetroot and girolles or a pairing of Dorset snails, turbot and razor clams with Delica pumpkin – typical of the kitchen’s tried-and-tested take on cracking produce. To finish, there might be a salted milk chocolate ‘aero’ with honeycomb or a wizard take on peaches and cream presented, cheekily, in an open tin can.

Dining at MARCUS is undoubtedly a top-end experience designed to impress, although staff are nonetheless discreet and attentive, creating a “relaxed atmosphere” that “makes you feel nothing can go wrong in the world”. A thick wine list excels when it comes to big-name producers, while pairings show the sommeliers at their passionate best.

££££ - Over £80

5 courses for £55 & a glass of fizz

From: 1 May, 2019
To: 31 August, 2019
Max: 6
5 courses and a glass of fizz on arrival for £55. From a set menu.
Availability: Mon-Thu 12:00PM-2:30PM 6:00PM-9:30PM,Fri 12:00PM-2:30PM 5:30PM-6:00PM 9:00PM-9:45PM

Location for MARCUS

The Berkeley, Wilton Place, London, London, SW1X 7RL

Mon-Sat 12N-3pm 6-10.30pm

Reviews of MARCUS

Mr. Pa C

Is it worth the price
29 March 2019

This was probably the most expensive meal I've ever had, and by that definition alone it should have been the best.

The food is terrific and the service is very good but the overiding feeling was that I was in a London hotel with a load of tourists. I understand the restaurant cant control this sort of thing, but in general this was not a cool night out in a London hotspot.

I preferred the dining room when it was The Petreus. Unfortunately they've cut it in half to accommodate some sort of tea room which you have to walk through to get to the main restauarant. The clientele is a mixture of obnoxious rich people (who were demanding to be let in without a reservation when I arrived) and out of towners. The decor in the restaurant is hideous; hotel carpet and frosted glass are not a good look.

I wish I could talk about the food more which was very good, and the wine pairing was excellent.

My overiding memory though was the price tag and the fact that I dont want to be in London on a night with rude rich people and tourists.

Sorry Marcus, the food is right but the decor and ambience are not. I should have flown somewhere warm in Europe, had dinner by the beach, stayed the night and still come back with change in my pocket.

Mr. Lloyd S

Outstanding Evening
27 November 2017
Amazing food , fantastic wine & excellent service I could probably stop there but I won't because this was truly a delightful dining experience. Have long been a fan of Marcus Wareing and seeing him on the TV enhanced our decision to visit his restaurant. The restaurant itself is set in a fantastic location that is the Berkeley Hotel so you get warm & very friendly greeting on arrival you are then escorted through to the restaurant which at first glimpse is stunning and as you looked around all the tables were nicely situated. We were sat in this delightful little booth that form the outer part of the restaurant. You are then greeted by the head of Front of House and his manner really does set the tone for all members of staff who were all warm , friendly & very professional providing excellent service throughout the evening. Well I better move onto the food which was as fantastic as I thought it would be a truly outstanding 8 Course Tasting Menu that started with a stunning Mackerel dish and definitely the best I've ever tasted to be followed by the Orkney Scallop with a Roast Beef dressing. The next course was also amazing Sharpe's Express 1900 potatoes with girolles , Tunworth Cheese & Truffle just magical our next course was a fabulous Octopus served with a Beef Tea to be followed by the Short Rib with Vindaloo Spices. So now we reach the Main Course and yes it was the highlight Herdwick Lamb , hispi cabbage & mustard simply stunning. Now on to desserts which started with a light Smoked Milk & Mandarin to be followed by a absolutely exquisite Toffee , Peanut , Milk Chocolate & Nougat literally heaven on a plate . A word now for the Sommelier who was very charming and certainly produced some amazing wine that matched each course perfectly and with a fantastic brandy to finish . This ended a stunning & memorable evening to which I will definitely look forward to experiencing again

Ms/Mrs. Rebecca L

Outstanding
25 April 2017
I’ve been dying to go to Marcus for ages but my boyfriend is (and I quote) ‘over posh restaurants.’ The sentence didn’t compute with my either. Luckily, I managed to get him to agree to come with me when he was drunk on a work night out – so he woke up with a hangover and a dinner reservation. I’ve heard a few people scoffing over comments that since the refurb the restaurant is more relaxed and less stuffy. I’m not sure I agree. Of course, this was my first visit so I can’t compare exactly but I certainly found it more relaxed and easy going than other 2 or 3 Michelin star restaurants I’ve been too. Our waiter (we couldn’t work out if he was the maître d or not) was superb – incredibly smooth and charismatic, his attention was perfect: not too much and not too little. Most of the two seater tables have a sort of booth element to it so it feels cosy and if, like me, you like to people watch, one of you isn’t facing a wall. So I can’t fault the dining room, ambience or service. Most importantly the food was faultless too – my lamb main was cooked to perfection and an interesting sounding dessert of just ‘iced tea, bergamot and meringue’ was sublime. But for me the star was the starter which was essentially just cheese and onion but was the most incredible celebration of those two flavours. My one criticism is the wine is pretty pricey. But I can let that slide considering the rest. The best bit? Aforementioned boyfriend wants to come back soon. So much for being over posh restaurants.

Ms/Mrs. Elizabeth G

Good food, nice place
13 March 2015
Good food, beautifully presented. Well trained and polished staff, a bit slow on service. Very quiet during lunch-time, so a perfect place if you need to have a conversation. Menu is not fancy, and is quite heavy on meats, but that's the cuisine type, so comes as expected. Generally - very enjoyable.

Ms/Mrs. DAVID W

25 March 2014
We were lucky to book our Lunch as soon as we heard about the re opening and we have to say everything about it was perfect.The Room looks beautiful and has a nice feel about it and as on previous visits the Food and staff were excellent in every respect. Both menus had us deliberating on what to have (and you can't complain about the prices!)…so it will definitely mean a re visit asap Veal Sweetbreads starter was really good but i'll have the wife's Foie Gras next time and the same for the main course where i was really pleased with my Turbot and Snails but then tasted the wife's Pigeon (really really good) Cheese course before deserts was small but well chosen and then the Desserts finished off a perfect Lunch.with A special mention for the Pineapple with coconut. The Wine list was comprehensive enough to cover all Budgets even though the wine waiters choice did give my credit card a fright…but then we opted for a more ‘reasonable’ choice for such an occasion and were more than happy. So once again an excellent dining out experience…one we want to repeat in the very near future and perhaps a Dinner next time.

Other restaurants near MARCUS

You are requesting to book MARCUS for people on at .