Marco Polo on The River

Italian

About Marco Polo on The River

Occupying a huge riverside terrace & the ground floor of the grand projects on Putney’s riverbank, this fairly old-school trattoria struggles to fill its impressive number of seats. However, Marco Polo has no problem ticking over – it has a captive market with all those hungry mouths in the flats above. The ranks are swelled at weekends & on sunny evenings by strollers & families on a day out. Cracks may appear when there’s unexpected pressure on the staff, but the kitchen keeps churning out perfectly decent, uncomplicated cooking regardless. Expect antipasti, pastas, & the likes of pollo alla milanese & fish stew, as well as the inevitable pizzas (many of which are ordered as takeaways by locals).

Good to know about Marco Polo on The River

Italian

Location for Marco Polo on The River

6-7 Riverside Quarter, Eastfield Avenue, Bridge Road, London, SW18 1LP

Opening Times of Marco Polo on The River

Mon-Sun 12N-11pm (Fri-Sat -11.30pm Sun -10.30pm)

Reviews of Marco Polo on The River

30 July 2014

Have visited Marco Polo a few times. It is a nice venue on a hot and sunny weekend lunchtime, being close to the river with a nice view. The restaurant has quite a large outside terrace but the tables are quite closely packed together. Food is decidedly average. Plain and simple, with no flair or style – its good enough, not poor but always a slight disappointment. Wine list is nothing special. Prices are not overly expensive but do not represent value given the modest standard. What really lets the place down is the service. They simply don't employ enough staff to cover the number of diners that fit the terrace. Everything takes too long and it is very difficult to get any service or attention. I feel very sorry for the waiting staff. However, despite all the negatives that setting keeps drawing you back in the hope that things have improved.

06 July 2014

Nice location and hit and miss service. Eastern European restaurant masquerading as Italian. You don't go there for the food…

13 September 2013

On the last hot evening this Summer I descended to this lovely Italian on the river. I have walked past this many times but have been put off by the unnecessary pictures of the food on the glass walls, but thought I would give it a chance. To start I tucked in to a modest bruschetta followed by handmade seafood tagliatelle. Such simplicity shouldn’t be overlooked when it is done this well. The pasta was absolutely delightful, I savoured every bite. My boyfriend scoffed down his delectable speck spaghetti with truffle oil trying desperately to fend off my fork from stealing a bite. The evening was made more gratifying with the sunset beaming over the river and a tasty glass of house white wine in my hand. I felt like I was on holiday. A lot of the appeal is the huge terrace they offer. The interior is quite slick and trendy but it is run by old-skool Italians who understand traditional Italian food. I must admit the service could have been a little more attentive, we skipped dessert because we were waiting so long for them to take our order but they were courteous and friendly which I always value highly in a restaurant. Over all it was the perfect place to spend the last night of Summer.

14 July 2013

I have just eaten lunch here. The setting is beautiful, you can't beat dining al fresco riverside on a beautiful sunny day. Food here has been hit and miss in the past but I am happy to report that we were all happy with the food, everything was pretty good. However the service is terrible. We waited to be seated, then we had to ask twice if we could order some drinks, then we had to ask for a waiter to order our food and then we had to ask for the bill twice. They forgot 2 things we ordered from the menu and we had to ask twice before they brought them over, by this time we had finished the rest of our meal. Not once were we asked whether everything was ok with the meal. Our waiter was the grumpiest man I have ever met, we tried chatting to him to raise a smile…but nothing. There were lots of staff wondering around but nobody seemed to take any notice of customers waiting, they were more interested in clearing tables to get more poor unwitting customers in the door. All in all the experience is too frustrating to give Marco Polo another chance. Such a shame.

24 October 2012

I‘m a reguralar costumer in Marco Polo and I have to say I all ways enjoy the food, service and the restaurant it self, in the summer we can enjoy the al fresco dinning toguether with an amazing vew of the Thames. the food its all ways very good and exellent presentation. the staff is lovely and very freindly and exellent service. I just can't get enough of Marco Polo I highly recomend it!! P. Alexander Putney, London

Other restaurants near Marco Polo on The River