French

SquareMeal Review of Le Pont de la Tour

With its riverside views of Tower Bridge and close proximity to The City, Le Pont de la Tour has won a legion of fans since it was opened by Terence Conran back in 1991. Previously known for its classic French menu featuring favourites such as crêpes Suzette, new chef Julien Imbert has taken a more modern approach that reflects his experience as head chef at Jason Atherton’s Michelin-starred City Social. While the Bar & Grill offers traditional French brasserie fare, the Restaurant now serves up elaborately plated, intricate dishes that draw on international influences and tap into current food trends. Witness cured salmon with miso mayonnaise and pickled cucumber or halibut with curry velouté. Our starter of smoked and pickled baby beetroot with blackcurrant was a well-judged blend of punchy flavours, while Gloucester Old Spot pork belly was perfectly paired with a smoked apple purée. Creative desserts such as lemon curd with thyme shortbread, meringue and liquorice ice cream are a highlight, while the lengthy wine list and smart service continue to impress. The changes to the format here weren’t necessarily needed, but they are more than welcome.

Good to know about Le Pont de la Tour

Restaurant Set Menu: 2/3 courses £24.50/£29.50

From: 26 December, 2017
To: 31 October, 2019
Max: 6
Set Menu 2 courses £24.50, 3 courses £29.50. Maximum of 6 diners. Includes VAT, excludes service.
Availability: Sun 12:00PM-3:15PM 5:30PM-9:30PM,Mon-Fri 12:00PM-2:30PM 5:30PM-10:30PM,Sat 12:00PM-3:15PM 5:30PM-10:30PM

Location for Le Pont de la Tour

Butlers Wharf, 36d Shad Thames, London, SE1 2YE

Opening Times of Le Pont de la Tour

Mon-Sun 12-2.30pm 5.30-10.30pm (Sun -3pm -9.45pm)

Reviews of Le Pont de la Tour

Mr. Tim H

Wow!
02 July 2015
Fabulous food and service with the best view in London...

Mr. Stephen W

Excellent experience
26 May 2015
We came for a Saturday dinner for two, and were coddled and impressed. Le Pont de la Tour has the essential restaurant “theatre”: the long bar, the piano playing in the background, the white cloths on the tables, the sommelier (and sommeliere) and of course the great river view. My first course, foie gras, was light and tasty. For the mains I had the Bedfordshire pork plate, nicely hung, with spring greens, my companion a beautifully flaking cod and chips. The portions appeared nouvelle cuisine, normally a boo, but in fact after the main course we were full enough to skip dessert altogether. Perhaps the plates were too big. Only the table bread detracted a little: a brown/ white choice of course, and nice enough, but they could have been a little more - interesting (and, nit-picking: salted butter?) One of us was not drinking, so I opted for a light Cusquena bottled beer over vino, which went well with my choices (though I should have stopped after the second one). The price at the end was £ 50 a head, which was value for money, for food and for theatre.

Ms/Mrs. Charlotte W

11 August 2014
Pont de la Tour is very local to me and one of my favorite restaurants. I eat there at least twice a month. Last week met with friends for dinner and I have no idea what was up that night but the service was TERRIBLE. Inattentive to say the least and one of my friends main courses was completely forgotten. We had finished eating before his food arrived. I think this is unforgiveable. He was given a free beer by way of apology?!?!?! It should be said that every other time I have been the service has been good. Hope this was a one off.

Mr. john B

23 July 2014
We booked this restaurant for a double celebration – my wife's 50th birthday and our wedding anniversary. Having eaten wonderfully at Petrus for lunch we were hoping for a similar experience. However my wife ordered a Dover Sole that had clearly gone off and was inedible. Everyone at the table smelled the fish and were repulsed. We mentioned the problem to the waitress (these things happen) and the plate was removed and my wife was offered an alternative. She was feeling a little nauseous at the prospect of more fish so chose a light vegetarian option. This arrived after the rest of us had finished our main course. It was swimming in oil and again inedible. I must point out that my wife is NOT a fussy eater – she cringes at the thought of complaining but this was not a meal she could just eat and pretend there were no issues. When the waitress came to remove my wife's plate (almost untouched) she enquired if the dish was ok. My wife explained why it was untouched and the waitress then went off to find the manager. He arrived at our table clearly unhappy and started a conversation about the food that I terminated immediately. I did not want a debate about two inedible dishes on a special night in front of other diners. My wife was upset enough already. When I got the bill my wife's two plates had not been charged which was fine. The waitress reminded me that the manager wanted to speak to us so off I went to the cash desk. There was the manager who was stony faced and ready for an argument. He wanted to know what the problem was and I pointed out with the help of my wife's Facebook page that this was a 50th birthday and wedding anniversary celebration and that we were very disappointed at the standard of food served to us. The manager immediately told us that he served 200 Dover Sole every day and had NEVER had a complaint. The insinuation being that we wouldn't know a fresh fish if we were slapped in the face with it. I repeated that a fresh Dover Sole should neither smell very strongly nor taste bitter which this one did. Again we were told that he considered it to be fresh – more insinuation that we were dumb idiots. At this point I could see no point in continuing the conversation. We have been fortunate to eat in some of the best restaurants in the world and we've never sent a dish back or have we ever been spoken to in such patronising terms. Any decent restaurant manager would have apologised profusely for serving fish that was off and a replacement meal that was inedible and left it there. I have never encountered an argumentative and belligerent manager who would not back down, wouldn't apologise for ruining our evening and continually insisted we were wrong. This place needs to source fresh produce, get a decent chef who knows how to control an olive oil bottle and recruit a manager with more concern for customers experience than his own desire for a row.

Ms/Mrs. Peter S

30 June 2014
How to celebrate eleven years married? To revisit one of our favourite restaurants, Pont De La Tour, would seem to be the answer and the ever-efficient Square Meal booking facility gave us the chance to write under ‘Preferences’; ‘A riverside table preferred – Wedding Anniversary!’ The ‘greeter’ set the mood for the evening when, on learning our name and without reference to the reservation sheet, said “Welcome to you both and congratulations, I believe, on your Wedding Anniversary!” With my wife temporally unable to consume alcohol it was a delight to find the barman pleased to suggest and then make some suitable alternatives. The following meal was without fault and the service perfect. The Sommelier's suggested half bottle for me to have at table and our waiter's fulsome explanation of an excellent cheese board was well received. An unexpected “Happy Anniversary” inscribed plated sweet from the kitchen was the perfect finishing touch. We both agreed we had stayed away from ‘Pont’ for too long and certainly will not wait for our next anniversary to revisit.

Mr. Peter S

29 May 2014
An anniversary dinner needs to be a special event with a bit of the wow factor – this famous restaurant overlooking Tower Bridge did not disappoint. From the moment we arrived the attentive friendly staff did everything possible to make us feel comfortable & relaxed. Friendly, but not intrusive, knowledgeable but not patronising. The food was tasty & well proportioned (wonderful fresh bread too), especially the mouth watering deserts. The wine menu on the other hand made the eyes water & is almost too extensive, but the sommelier was helpful & recommended a reasonably priced delicious wine. Certainly not cheap, but for a special occasion, it was worth the money & we had a very enjoyable & memorable evening.

Ms/Mrs. Heather W

03 April 2014
Met a friend for a “belated” Birthday meal (I'd forgotten!!) – the staff were amazing – the food was absolutely delicious and they brought the most wonderful surprise little cake on a decorated plate and candle. Just wonderful – thank you

Ms/Mrs. Sophie E

Great food, poor service. Tactical?
19 June 2013
I really enjoyed myself with divine food.. but I do agree with that the service isn’t the best. I found the evening to be rather slow and a bit tedious, but rewarding in the end. As the food was really tasty! Overall I was happy with the evening out, I had a lovely catch up with a friend, and enjoyed great food in a nice set atmosphere. Though my bank card would say a completely different story! I ended up paying a lot more than expected, due to the waiting around between ordering & courses, which resulted in more drink being bought, to share to pass some time whilst chit chatting. This how ever could have been a technical fault with kitchens/under staffed, or was it a tactical fault so my bill was higher? I’d like to hope not.. but in this day and age who knows! I would like to re visit for another special evening, but only if I knew the service had been checked over/improved.

Ms/Mrs. Lynn W

24 May 2012
Hmm, I don't think we went to the same place as the previous reviewers. We had a delightful evening on the first summery evening this year, we sat outside and enjoyed watching the people going by on the riverside, service was prompt and courteous, food was pretty straight forward but good quality and nicely done, and of course there's a fab view as the lights came on over the bridge and across the water. We had the set menu with a glass of champagne. It was just dinner on a Wednesday evening and not a special occasion so we didn't feel the need to go for the top price items. We both had sole mousseline with lobster sauce, followed by grilled salmon with asparagus and basil dressing – it was all fine and we ate the lot. Desserts appeared to be a collection of small things e.g poached pineapple with almond cake and green tea sorbet with space dust, a little bit of each on the same plate. There was sufficient choice for us and excellent value at £30 per head. We spent a bit more to go for a decent bottle of wine – a Rully 1er Cru. It was more busy outside on the terrace than inside the restaurant, understandably on that evening, with plenty of clusters of blokes in business suits who'd taken off jacket and tie, but many others more casual; it was a good mix and we like the flexibility to go dressed as you wish. We've been here a few times and had similar experiences. The location and view is great, the service is prompt and the ambiance relaxed, the food from the set menu isn't especially memorable but it's good quality, and we'd be happy to go again.

Mr. Steven F

23 May 2012
We had a disastrous dinner here on a quiet Tuesday evening. We arrived at 8:00, did not receive main courses until 9:45. Twenty minutes after we ordered, the waiter returned to tell us that the fish was unavailable. We then ordered lamb, and twenty minutes later we were informed that this also was unavailable. The bar and grill menu, which is rather limited to begin with, became a question of “What DO you have available?”. Nearly an hour later, our food did arrive. It was well-prepared, but by this time the accumulated upset prevented much enjoyment. The poor waiter was forced to apologize to all the patrons. We were comped the coffee in an attempt to soothe the ruffled feathers, but it was too little and too late. I would never return and would advise you to do the same. You can do far better for the steep prices charged here.

Other restaurants near Le Pont de la Tour

You are requesting to book Le Pont de la Tour for people on at .