British

COVID-19 Update for Butlers Wharf Chop House

Updated on 07 Jul 2020

Re-opened since 4th July

D&D London understand that the health, safety and wellbeing of our staff and our guests are paramount whilst coexisting with COVID-19 in the new world. We have a duty of care to all stakeholders and have developed new ways of working based on advice and guidance provided by the government, industry bodies and our safety consultants.

Read more on their website

SquareMeal Review of Butlers Wharf Chop House

There’s a decidedly nautical feel to this riverside restaurant with its oak panelling and enamelled ship’s pendants. Although the menu pays homage to the watery setting with oysters, potted shrimps and fisherman’s pie, the real draw is slabs of 28-day-aged beef, their juices locked in from the blisteringly hot charcoal grill. The fillets, sirloins, rib-eyes and T-bones all come at a price, with hand-cut chips an extra three quid, but there’s financial relief in more affordable mains such as grilled ox liver with mustard mash and onion gravy, or roast rump of lamb with beetroot, carrot and red-wine sauce. For afters, puddings are in the comforting nursery mould of lemon posset or apple crumble and custard. The adjoining bar is a good spot for a pie and a pint at wallet-friendly prices.

Eat Out to Help Out Participating Restaurant

Best Riverside Restaurants in London

This venue also offers

Location for Butlers Wharf Chop House

36e Shad Thames, Bermondsey, London, SE1 2YE

Mon-Sun 12N-3.30pm 5.30-10.45pm (Sun -9.45pm)

Reviews of Butlers Wharf Chop House

Dee M

02 July 2019
Lovely, relaxed ambience particularly when it's possible to sit outside.

Mike P

30 June 2019
Good food, good service, great location.

Jacqui R

30 June 2019
Consistent quality of food and service.

Stacee H

30 March 2019
Nice traditional food, with a great view. Service was really good and the staff were very knowledgeable. Reasonably priced.

Alexandra R

31 July 2018
I went to this restaurant about 3 weeks ago now and I still can't stop thinking about the chicken main I had there! One of the best meals i've had in London in the past three years. Great atmosphere and decor too!

Ellie G

20 June 2017
I have been to this venue a few times and have never been disappointed. Best steak I have ever had. Great for an occasion and the views over the River and Tower Bridge are stunning.

Vi Vian W

Butlers Wharf Chop House by the River Thames
16 September 2015
pea and wild garlic soup – very tasty but I thought the chicken stock (shop bought stock cubes is my guess) was slightly too overpowering. deep fried whitebait with mayonnaise – the whitebait was fried in a lightly spiced batter, but was overly oily. It was however served with a delicious tartare sauce. sausage roll salmon fishcake with devilled mayonnaise – the fishcakes were slightly dry and the salad looks like a slapdash work. The crab meat in the mayonnaise was ace and I wish there were slightly more of it! steak sandwich – I wasn’t asked how I like my steak, but fortunately it was not over done. The meat was good and tender so I enjoyed the sandwich, but the crisps that were served with it were so oily and over-salted as to be almost up there in the cholesterol league with deep-fried mars bars!, It also gave the impression that it was a cheap bag from the supermarket. sticky toffee pudding with vanilla ice-cream fish platter GBP 13.50

Avril K

Evening out with friend
22 May 2015
My friend & I had a very pleasant evening. Little bit too chilly to sit outside, but had a lovely table by the window with good views of the Thames and surroundings. Waiting staff were great, friendly and attentive. Food was very good and our cocktails were delightful, especially mine, Vodka, vermouth, olives, very lively!! Will definitely be going back.

Melanie Mason

Summer breeze at the Chop House
30 August 2013
I always enjoy the Chop House. I don't think it can be beaten on a breezy day if you can bag a table outside. Service was prompt apart from around 14h30 when everyone seemed to disappear, but our waiter was attentive the rest of the time, and the food was well cooked and arrived on time. A nice varied wine list.

Toby N

11 October 2010
I really struggled to review this – partly as the experience was so mixed. Went on Friday night with my girlfriend and booking online was simple although we didn't get the window table I'd asked for, despite some being free. When we arrived we got the wrong menus to start with (the dessert ones) and when replaced we still only got one main menu and yet another dessert menu. Drinks were a little slow to arrive and bread had to be asked for rather than offered. Main courses arrived and my girlfriend sent hers, the roast beef, back as it wasn't hot (my roast pork was), but a replacement turned up in very short order together with new side dishes that were so hot the plates took the varnish off the table. Food was good but not exceptional by any means. Dessert choices were simple (we'd had ample oportunity to browse) and quite tasty – poached pear with winter fruits and chocolate mousse and a melt in the middle chocolate sponge. Staff were polite and apologetic about the mix up. Value for money not bad at around £75 for 2 courses and drinks before a tip. Its one where you'd have to rate it as an almost – some really simple changes could make this very good, but its not quite there now.

Other restaurants near Butlers Wharf Chop House

You are requesting to book Butlers Wharf Chop House for people on at .