SquareMeal Review of Gaucho Richmond

Swaggering and staggering distance from central Richmond, this branch of the Argentinian grill chain proves popular with the area’s macho men and their glamorous WAGs. Keep to the light, zingy fish ceviches and tiraditos for starters, to leave space for the main attraction. The steaks are beautifully cooked, with minimal fuss. Frankly, ordering anything else (sea bream with serrano ham, prawn risotto) is to miss the point. Puds are substantial, very sweet and largely unnecessary. The drinks list is full of punchy Argentinian wines and much-admired cocktails, so it’s a shame this beautifully sited venue on the Thames towpath no longer serves drinks to non-diners.

Argentinian, Steak
Bottomless brunch
Waterside
Group dining [8+]

Location for Gaucho Richmond

The Towpath, Richmond Riverside, London, London, TW10 4UJ

Mon-Sun 12N-11pm (Sun -10.30pm)

Reviews of Gaucho Richmond

Jamie C

Still No Good
28 August 2018
3/4 empty but service slow but very warm and polite. Food came out wrong, then came out cold. To finish off the Experian enstake was rare to raw rather than medium rare. staff happy to sort but at some point you just give up. Interesting I did a review on TripAdviser and saw my review in 2012 which was also bad. On e the upside the place is consistent... Interesting that this branch of Gaucho's was 3/4's empty whilst the London branch was fully booked, I see why now...

Ms/Mrs. gowsia H

19 May 2014
We were given a wonderful window table promptly. The restaurant was busy, the service was charming, the food was delicious (we had marinated steak with sweet potato chips) , beautiful setting, nice decor, good drinks at the bar served by friendly barmen.

Mr. Guilherme B

01 July 2012
My wife and I left Wimbledon after a day “on” Court 1 in the early evening balmy sunshine. The Gaucho's setting by the River is perfect and this should be a “killer” proposition. But it isn't. We sat outside and with one notable exception in a Peruvian waiter, “enjoyed” fairly awful, hit and miss service. The senior staff in particular seemed not to treat the customers as people at all – avoided eye contact and smiling. Ah well, the food though expensive should have made up for it but the starters were meaner than usual. The 300gm rump steak was up to standard, but the sides were not hot enough. Luckily, the riverside setting is just gorgeous and the other people eating seemed out to enjoy themselves in a laid back sort of way, so the general shortcomings seemed to be mainly forgiven. Not sure we'll be back sadly.

Ms/Mrs. Anita E

16 February 2011
As an enthusiastic Gaucho Grill Lover (spending £ 120.00 on a meal for 2 twice a year) went in to this restaurant with a friend of mine on a Saturday evening without any booking. We wanted to have a drink or two at the Bar, as I fancied a Vividor Cocktail and my friend has never been here before, was a nice occassion to introduce her to the Gauchos. When we walked in the Hostess informed us that the restaurant was fully booked that night and it was the restaurant policy that we could not be seated for drinks only. Well, the restaurant might have been busy, but the Bar was almost empty, only a couple having their drinks. I told the Hostess that this has never happened to me in the Gaucho Canary Wharf – London Bridge – Piccadilly Circus, you can always sit there sipping your drinks as long as you want. She kept telling me that it was the restaurant policy. I do not think so… Told her not to go back there, do not feel like paying for this shocking behaviour ever.

Mr. Mark J

22 December 2009
Picture the scene, your walking down Richmond Tow Path and you stumble across the beautiful location that is Gaucho Richmond, with hast I popped in a booked a table of 4 for later that evening. We arrived early and enjoyed the new cocktail list the ‘Grape Mojito’ was amazing. After sampling a few Malbecs with the in house sommilier we sat down at our table over looking the thames, beforelong we were greeted with the beef board showcasing all that is wonderful about Gaucho. I plumped for the Lomo 300g cooked med are…AMAZING, not sure what these other 2 reviewers were eating but must have been a different restaurant!!! To close Gaucho, isnt cheap but neither is the fat duck!!! my point if your offering something of the quality that this steak is and serving some of the best new world wines around. Then you can justify it which Gaucho does very well.

Ms/Mrs. Derek H

22 December 2009
This was the first time I'd tried a Gaucho and was really excited about it. Unfortunately though, it didn't quite live up to expectation. The food unfortunately is pretty average – the sausages were just that and also poorly cooked. The steak was OK, but certainly not the best I've had, partnered with an insipid peppercorn sauce. The chorizo potato cake and salse verde should also have been stand-out, yet it was bland, lacking in any depth of flavour, punch or vim. On the up-side, the setting is undeniably pretty, the service was really good and the atmosphere was cracking. We drank a huge amount of good red wine and the bill reflected that – indeed, it was a super night. Just a shame then that the food tastes like any old high street chain churning out something average.

Mr. Daryl W

01 June 2009
The setting is everything. And that's really where it starts and stops. Terrible food; v poorly cooked (overdone, arrived cold, & some elements hadn't even been cooked.) An ‘award winning’ burger, their words, possibly the worst ever tasted. The cheese and bacon topping, laughable. And at £16.95 with no accompaniments, a travesty. Three main courses were returned. Should've been all four. Subsequently replaced by steaks which were nice, but nothing special and way too dear. Again, no accompaniments (everything is an extra.) Overall, more expensive than Michelin starred restaurants. Very very poor, sadly not made up for by helpful service. Avoid.

Other restaurants near Gaucho Richmond

You are requesting to book Gaucho Richmond for people on at .