Bocconcino

Italian, Pizza·

SquareMeal Review of Bocconcino

Moscow-meets-Amalfi at this Russian-backed Italian, which - on the plate at least – does a pretty good job of whisking you away to an Italian trattoria. Cavernous Mayfair-by-numbers interiors (Imposing reception desk? Tick. Plush beige seats? Tick. Columns, muted colour scheme and lots of giant chandeliers? Tick, tick, tick.) are a million miles away from an alfresco table at a piazza, but it’s the quality of ingredients and an expert pasta chef that does the talking here.

We kicked off with a creamy, oozing buratta with cherry tomatoes and some exquisite wafer-thin coppa, before being bowled over by the quality of the freshly made pasta. Bright yellow tagliatelle swimming in a buttery sauce and topped with a decadent, perfumed and nutty black truffle, and a comparatively rustic (but devilishly hard to perfect) pici cacio e pepe – tagiatelle with pecorino Romano and black pepper – were truly bellisimo. The lengthy menu also features a host of trattoria staples – veal Milanese, frittura mista - as well as over a dozen pizzas. For desert, hazelnut semi-freddo is a good pick. This being Mayfair, service is top-notch and there’s a sommelier to help guide you through the Italian wine list, although none of this comes for cheap.

Italian, Pizza

Sat 12:00-23:30
Sun 12:00-23:30

Reviews of Bocconcino

Alex G

La dolce vita, bling edition
25 June 2021

Bocconcino’s website asserts that its restaurant is “one of the most luxurious, authentic Italian experiences in London.” Without doubt it offers a certain form of luxury – if excess is your kind of thing – but what it may gain in this respect, it undoubtedly loses in terms of authenticity. Restaurants that operate 200+ covers over two floors and are bedecked with lots of gold fittings, mirrors and mood-enhancing lights are rarely to be found in Italy, in my experience, but are certainly far from uncommon in well-heeled districts of London. The only Italian I heard spoken at Bocconcino was admittedly by the waiters, with the majority of the diners most likely there on expenses-paid business lunches or people wanting to be seen at a high-end and sort of on-trend location. In a venue of such size, one assumes that the kitchen much also be pretty large, hence the dimensions of the menu (both literally – it is a statement piece – and the dishes on offer). There’s something for everyone, whether it’s a beef tartare and truffle starter for a mere £28 or the ‘bargain’ Margherita pizza at £15. At least no one will be disappointed with the range. Critics may, however, assert that were the restaurant to focus on fewer dishes, then the standard might arguably be higher. Maybe the angle of Bocconcino is not one of seeking repeat business; more, ‘let them eat pizza/pasta’ – and be done with it. Cynicism aside, the selection of starters which our group of six shared were mostly successes. A burrata and tomato combination was both colourful and tasty while the Jerusalem artichoke and veal sauce pairing with scallops was inspired. We did try the much vaunted tartare, which was decent, although the addition of bog-standard crisps to the top of the dish was not only curious but also undermined its impact. Many of our group’s mains got the thumbs up, although two in our party (your reviewer included) chose the black taglione and crab offering. It lacked either distinct flavour or texture and my comrade’s half-finished platter spoke volumes. The wine list tells a similar story to the food menu. There are bottles across the spectrum, and it pays to choose carefully. We were pleased with our Sauvignon Blanc from the Alto Adige and a Rosso di Montalcino from the ever-reliable Antinori. Service throughout was professional and enthusiastic. Choose Bocconicino as a venue for large groups – whose size and varied tastes can be catered for well – but there are undoubtedly better (and more authentic) Italian dining experiences in London.

Nick R

Not worth it
16 July 2016
Very average food, moody service. Nice decor buts that's it. For the price there are much better options

Graham S

Incredible value, delicious food & lovely vibe
16 June 2016
I had dinner a couple of weeks ago, enjoyed a few starters to share with friends and pasta dishes and pizzas that we all tried and shared. It is superb! The service was impeccable, very friendly and funny staff, the place is very clean and warm, we felt treated like kings and queens. The bill was very affordable considering we had so much to eat and a few bottles of wine between us. I still can't believe how great and unpretentious the place is for Mayfair! We initially thought we'd go to Novikov across the road, but seeing the prices did put us off for dinner since we were going out afterwards. I will always go to Bocconcino for dinner when going out in the westend afterwards. It sets up a great vibe, we were able to chat and laugh over dinner, followed by drinks and dance in Piccadilly.. that I won't remember much so I can't review the club sorry! I cannot recommend it more, seriously guys, go there it's absolutely lovely and delicious!

paul S

Chef unable to get food out on time!!
01 October 2015
This is the second time i have been here for lunch, I thought the first time I went and had a bad experience was a one off. But unfortunately i was wrong. We had to wait almost 20 minutes for waitress to take our orders, even after we made it blatantly obvious we wanted to order. Starters came after 20 minutes, we then had to wait nearly 45 minutes for our mains which did not even arrive at the same time. Two of our guests were served first, myself and my friend were served between 5 and 10 minutes later. This was exactly what happened last time I came. Total rubbish. Waitress gave us some BS excuse that the restaurant is very big. For a chef not to get food out on time is not acceptable especially if you have a business lunch on a tight schedule. Once i can overlook, twice is just incompetence. I will not be going back any time soon!!!

Alice S

Huge variety of flavours
17 March 2015
Bocconcino is just around the corner from work, so we went there on a team lunch to try it out. The decor is absolutely beautiful inside, with natural colours, and beautiful patterns designed all over the ceiling. The front reception desk were very polite, and the waitress wasn't helpful nor unhelpful. There are many different Italian dishes to select from, making it very hard to choose what to have as everything sounded so good. The food came out in good time. I had the Gorgonzola and pear pizza, which was just incredible. They pair complimented the cheese very well. My friend had the seafood pasta dish and said it's the best seafood dish she's ever tried in London, and that's saying something!

Delivery or takeaway

Order takeaway from Bocconcino by calling 020 7499 4510.

Other restaurants we like near Bocconcino

Aubaine Mayfair

Aubaine Mayfair

Bagatelle

Bagatelle

Babbo

Babbo

Benares

Benares

Book Bocconcino for people on at .