Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill

Fish

SquareMeal Review of Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill

More than a century down the line, Bentley’s still offers “the freshest oysters in London” with all the conviviality you’d expect of a restaurant owned by Richard Corrigan. Downstairs, shuckers get through Carlingford, Jersey and West Mersea bivalves like they’re going out of fashion, with support from celebratory seashore platters, fish and chips and even a sushi salad bowl. Things are noticeably less hectic in the upstairs grill, where punters have time to anticipate and savour sea bass carpaccio with langoustine and lime, ‘royal’ fish pie or grilled sirloin of Irish Hereford beef with salted bone marrow and black pepper onions. Dessert could be a seasonal trifle or a tropical arrangement of pineapple, mango, chilli, ginger and coconut, while the wine list matches these fulsome flavours with plenty by the glass and a global outlook among the bottles. When it comes to the bill, “Corrigan knows how to charge, but can be excused given the overall quality,” says one regular.

Good to know about Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill

Pre & post theatre menu: £23.50/£28.50

From: 15 May, 2019
To: 31 August, 2019
Max: 8
From a set menu. Available in the Grill only (not the oyster bar or the terrace)
Availability: Mon-Sat 5:30PM-6:45PM 9:30PM-10:30PM

Availability: Mon 12:00PM-2:30PM

Location for Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill

11-15 Swallow Street, London, W1B 4DG

Opening Times of Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill

Oyster Bar: Mon-Sun 11.30am-11.30pm (Sun -10.30pm)?Grill: Mon-Fri 12N-3pm Mon-Sat 5.30-11pm

Reviews of Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill

Ms/Mrs. Sarah J

Saturday night at Bentleys
28 January 2018
Everything about last night was superb from the charming General Manager Stephan to the best Dover Sole in London. If you are looking to dine for a special occasion or just have a fabulous fish supper Bentleys is as good as it was 20 years go.

Ms/Mrs. Dawn B

30 March 2014
I booked this as a pre theatre meal for myself and a friend and I wasn't disappointed!! Service and food was excellent! They hadn't appreciated it was pre theatre and when we told them part way through service they ensured we left on time, without being or feeling rushed. I'd definitely go back again.

25 March 2014
Took 10 people there for my wife's big birthday and booked a private room with special requirement for my wife birthday dinner, her favorite meal whole fish on the bone. I booked this a 2 weeks in advance and confirmed with them the day before arrival that all would be sorted to my requirement as promised. When we arrive the table was only setup for 8 people and I am then informed that they will not be able to fulfill my requirement of my wife's meal as some mix up in the kitchen. Then further more they don't even offer to make that up to my wife or do anything special for her. Making all my effort of planning for nothing and making her evening special feel crap. So if you are planning an event I would not recommend this restaurant as they are obviously not geared for customer service or making your evening special, making appoint not going there again. Very disappointing experience and no effort be have of the restaurant to try to save your evening in anyway…

Ms/Mrs. Kate B

More Oysters Please
12 September 2013
We arrived about 30 minutes before our table reservation, and although we were told we could be seated earlier we decided to take advantage of Oyster bar. The barman was extremely friendly and presented us with an Oyster menu and wine list. The menu had a selection of Native and Rock oysters and the barman was helpful and knowledgeable when it came to advising on choice of Oysters and wine to match. We went for 6 Native from West Mercia and 6 Rock from Carligford, both were outstanding and the Muscadet wine matched perfectly. We then moved upstairs to be seated at our table where we scanned the menu. The decor was in keeping of the theme of the restaurant and the atmosphere was relaxed. We had three waitresses looking after us, the service was attentive without being annoying. There was so much choice on the menu it was hard to decide what to have but we went for the Stuffed Baby Squid and Macoroni of Lobster to start. The squid was cooked to perfection and a very light starter, the Macoroni was quite large and very flavorsome. For mains we had Pan Seared Scallops with Pork Belly and Roast Fillet of Cod, both dishes had fantastic flavour and extremely well presented, although the Scallops are a very small main course. Our sommelier was very knowledgeable and recommended an amazing South African Semilion to go with the main courses. We ended the evening on the terrace which would be perfect for summer alfresco dining. Overall a great meal for fish lovers with excellent service. Richard Corrigan even made an appearance then headed off on his motorbike.

Ms/Mrs. Robin T

The business end is fishy...
20 May 2013
First I have to declare myself a long-time fan of Richard Corrigan's, and a previous visitor to Bentleys, so it was doubly-disappointing to have a decidedly mediocre experience for a recent birthday lunch. Perhaps I should have been forewarned when a restaurant representative phoned ostensibly to confirm my booking, but actually to give me the ‘hard sell’ about their special ‘Beef and Oyster’ event taking place in the main restaurant that Sunday lunchtime. When I declined , as two of my party of five did not eat beef, I was told 'ok, you'll have a table in the downstairs bar'. And what a service disaster that was, from start to finish… Ten full minutes passed before we managed to flag down a waiter to take out drink orders – despite the fact that we were squeezed into the end table and they were flitting back and forth behind us the entire time, studiously ignoring us. Bread arrived, but no side plates ,which did eventually make an appearance about half an hour later when some hapless waiter came to organise our cutlery (by which time the bread was pretty much finished and the crumbly evidence littered the table). The Bloody Marys that were presented were possibly the most insipid I have ever had the misfortune to imbibe in an expensive London restaurant – and for Sunday lunch! How tough is it to actually flavour the tomato juice? For £13 a pop I expected way better. To be fair the shellfish was exemplary, but then I would expect nothing less from a fish restaurant of this caliber (and price range)and there is not much you can do to ruin some good oysters and chilled langoustine. But the erratic, distracted service continued apace – it all felt like we were doing the heavy lifting in the front of house area. All in all it seems that standards have slipped perilously since my previous visit and that Chef Corrigan has taken his eye off this particlar corner of his burgeoning empire. What a shame, but I shall be going to Scott's next time around.

Ms/Mrs. Matt P

11 March 2013
Bentley’s inhabits the same part of the restaurant universe as Scott’s or Sheeky’s: fundamentally classic in its approach to food and décor, a service culture in which you are addressed as ‘sir’ or ‘madam’ rather than ‘guys’ and a set of prices that will make your mouth go dry. The restaurant backs on to Mayfair and evidently relies on its plentiful supply of tradesmen who hawk Ferraris, Canalettos or gilt-edged derivatives. In fact, Bentley’s makes me misty-eyed at the memory of lunch in the 90s: arriving by rattling black cab, downing a bloody Mary at the bar with a copy of the Standard while waiting for the rest of the table to arrive, chugging through more than one bottle of Chablis over the meal and, crucially, sticking the whole thing on expenses without a moment’s thought. These days you arrive by tube, debate whether two glasses or a carafe of wine will be sufficient, and if the cost gets near £50 per head then you know an email from the ‘expenses helpdesk’ in Bangalore will be forthcoming. Happily on this occasion I had no such concern as my companion was paying and she signs off her own expenses! Not that this is to say that Bentley’s food is stuck in the past; far from it. My main course of scallops with clementine, squid, broccoli, noodles and chilli was superb in execution, in the combination of tastes and in presentation. It was modern and classic simultaneously. Equally accomplished was the starter of squid stuffed with chorizo and feta, served with mussels the size of my biceps and a sauce vierge. My companion’s starter of lobster macaroni was great in terms of presentation and taste, and outstanding in the quality of the fresh macaroni. Service wasn’t quite as polished as in the other sorts of places in this category of restaurant. The staff in the bar downstairs bantered a lot amongst themselves and bickered a little too. The sommelier was rather too keen to refill our glasses between every sip, though she did come up with a spot-on response to our request for a follow-up bottle of white. The staff member who talked us through the specials didn’t quite have good enough English to be clearly understood, and bless him he looked a bit daft in a white jacket that was two sizes too big. The maitre d’ however was a more serious gent, confident and brimming over with enthusiasm; the kind of person who persuades to you to have three more dishes and a great deal more wine that you intended. On those thumping great prices: it’s £13 for a cocktail, there’s only one starter under a tenner and a main with a side will easily head north of £30. A dessert of ‘petits fours’ for a fiver turned out to be three bonbons each of the type you’d expect to see arrive for free with coffee in other places at this level. So if you live or work in Mayfair, or if your corporate expense account is still stuck in the 90s, or if you are able to treat yourself while being temporarily blind to the bill, Bentley’s can be recommended heartily.

Mr. Joel M

15 March 2012
We arrived at Bentley's around 7pm on a midweek evening without a reservation and were seated in the bar at a snug red leather banquette. We started with a glass of champagne each whilst studying the brief, well organised menu. My better half began with a Seafood Cocktail which she described as the finest version of this retro dish she had ever tasted; perhaps unsurprising given the quality of the langoustine, prawn, crab meat and brown shrimp ingredients. I took a “special” starter of morcilla, scallops, mint and blood orange, the latter citrus notes making for a beaufifully balanced dish set against the sweet seafood and fat blood pudding. On to the mains, first a rather humdrum fish pie consisting of just cod and salmon, but a better dish was a generous lobster spaghetti. For dessert, my wife had a lemon sponge pudding which was a substantial end to the meal served with a lemony custard sauce. I chose a savoury variation on a welsh rarebit, which was delicious and served with a cleansing pear and watercress salad. Unfortunately, I waited 10 mins for the savoury as they had mislaid my initial order. We drank a 500ml carafe of Albarino throughout which was elegantly served in a bucket of water and ice. Service was warm and friendly save the wobble on my savoury, but Corrigan knows his stuff and for a good selection of seafood at reasonable prices – at least for W1 – try Bentley's Oyster Bar.

Mr. Peter B

03 July 2011
Having enjoyed eating at Bentleys many times, our recent visit was a big disappointment. Service lacked organisation and customer concern and interest. Time gap between starter and main was unreasonably long. We were told that the Royal Fish Pie had to be created and baked from start to finish! The Royal Fish Pie(costs almost 30 pounds)was very short of content(fish)and not particularly tasty. We were a small party(3) and they got a very simple order wrong-delivered spinach instead of potatoes. Desserts were amateurish. Quite disappointed. Will not return soon.

Carol C

08 April 2011
The food is mediocre to poor and over priced, the wine ditto, and the ambience somewhat claustrophobic with too much brass and white linen and not enough real character. My spaghetti with clams was quite foul – greasy, and the clams were fishy and had seen much better days. The fish pie was nothing to write home about, and overpriced for what it was. Calamari with Seville orange sauce were OK, but overly sweet, and reminiscent of orange chicken in a Chinese. Probably the nicest thing was the creme brulee, which was vast, creamy and very good. The wine list is singularly expensive and not especially interesting. The outside terrace is lovely for a drink, but if you actually want a decent meal, my advice is to go elsewhere.

Ms/Mrs. Miette B

05 October 2010
Just had lunch at Bentleys with a couple of clients, it was my first time there and I can honestly say I will go back. The service was impeccable, and the food was delicious. Not being a fish lover, I was a little worried about menu items beforehand, but the wild duck salad (a special) and the rib-eye steak were fantastic (Gaucho's, eat your heart out !) The chocolate brownie with cappuccino mousse as a dessert was the best I had in a while, I had it with the accompanying glass of Maury Mas Amiel , which worked perfectly with it, very nice recommendation. Our waiter was helpful and classy, and the whole atmosphere is lovely, without being stuffy. I will definitely be back, and not just for client lunches!

Other restaurants near Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill

You are requesting to book Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill for people on at .