SquareMeal Review of Gaucho Piccadilly

This ‘typically slick’ branch of the upmarket, Argentinian-themed group still pulls in the diners thanks to its high-visibility location, four floors of carousing opportunities & fine summertime terrace. It’s a striking-looking place, dressed in Gaucho’s signature get-up of chandeliers, black leather & cowhide, with love-or-hate nightclub acoustics & moody lighting. The menu isn’t all about beef – there are brightly flavoured ceviches, spatchcock chicken & lamb chops, too – but the most famous dishes are the ones to order: a selection of pasty-like empanadas followed by steak done any which way. Prices (around £25 a slab) aren’t the most intimidating in town but, with sauces & sides to pay for, the result may be ‘decent – not wow’, an impression reinforced by ‘efficient’ but ‘stressed’ staff. Finish in style with a cocktail in the bar.

About Gaucho Piccadilly

The Piccadilly branch of the impressive Gaucho empire is the brand’s flagship restaurant, set in a stunning townhouse, located in the heart of the bustling West End of the city. The restaurant is surrounded by great public transport links from the underground, buses, or taxis.

The elegant interior is very much a snazzy, luxurious affair with brass and jewel tones offsetting the décor inspired by the rugged Argentinian landscape. The colour palette is earth and moody, and the furniture is chic – a cool combination of modern and natural. The atmosphere is immediately relaxing, yet intimate, making it a perfect setting for a date or a formal dinner.  As the former home of the Spanish ambassador, the designers have definitely done it justice. Gaucho always manages to impress with its exquisite décor and exclusive vibe.

There are many exceptional spaces within this spacious multi-level restaurant, with great facilities for a variety of occasions and events. The ground floor encompasses the beautiful dining room, which is connected to a lovely terrace area – weather-proofed for all seasons. The first floor hosts another grand dining space, featuring the open kitchen for some ringside culinary action – a real treat for patrons.

The legendary electro brunches and private dining rooms are found on the first floor of the restaurant. This Gaucho restaurant is truly unique in many respects from its multicultural décor to its brilliant location and history; one of the exclusive rooms even pays homage to the former Spanish owner. The top floor hides a secret courtyard and cocktail bars inspired by the socialising culture of Buenos Aires.

Wherever you decide to be seated within Gaucho’s huge Piccadilly restaurant, the cuisine is guaranteed to amaze. The Pampas-reared Black Angus beef steaks are exquisitely plated up in a range of cuts and weights - be prepared for an indulgent feast.

Argentinian, Steak

Sat 11:30-00:00
Sun 11:30-23:00

Reviews of Gaucho Piccadilly

Ms/Mrs. Jane V

Great food, service & ambience but not impressed with booking flexibility
10 November 2019

We loved everything about the restaurant except for their attitude when I wanted to add 1 person to a long standing booking for 6 people at 7.45 on Saturday night. I was told they couldn't add 1 person to the table because the table they used for 7 people was booked at 7.45. I would need to move the booking to 6.15 to do so, which despite being inconvenient we agreed to do. In reality the table we had was set for 6 and they then added a 7th seat. Other similar round tables had 6 people seated at them. When we finished eating we were asked to move to the bar but there was no-one seated at our table when we left much later that evening. Very disappointed at their inflexibility and can only assume they were motivated by the belief that they could more easily find someone to fill the table at 7.45. Their actions nearly ruined our evening and demonstrated their prioritising increased profits over care to the customers already booked.

Ms/Mrs. Elizabeth B

Always amazing
22 October 2018
Fantastic food, great friendly service - helpful but not too pushy. Would definitely recommend

Ms/Mrs. Philippa C

Client Lunch
22 February 2016
Attended Gaucho for a client lunch, didn't disappoint as the food is always exceptionally good so no complaints there. Service was good but a bit slow but have put that down to being a busy lunchtime, otherwise pleasant staff. Always choose Gaucho for a great steak meal well worth waiting for and very enjoyable. Never Disappoints when taking clients.

Nicola James

WOW!!!!!!
16 November 2015
We arrived at the bar around 7pm and had a few cocktails while we waited for our table. The waiters were all fantastic! So attentive, polite and well dressed. The lady who served us (apologies, I forgot her name) was on the ball. We couldn’t have asked for a better service. The only thing that I did have a slight issue with was the fact we were next to the function room that had young children running around screaming. Fortunately they left half way through our meal. My fiancé and I had the Rib Eye steak and his parents had the Fillet. Cooked to perfection! They said it was one of the best steaks they’d ever eaten, and they’ve travelled a lot. The deserts was incredible too! We all had such a brilliant time that we decided to book my soon to be father in laws 50th next year March! Cant wait!!!!

Kerim T

Have a fantastic evening ! (not)
05 May 2015
The food is predictable and really pretty good for what it is but on this occasion at Gaucho (Piccadilly branch) a number of things were wrong. First of all a weird smell of damp greeted us on arrival on the first floor. We were seated at the table closest to the door in a restaurant with plenty of spare tables. Then the server and her boss had a heated discussion within sight and earshot of the diners which went on for quite a long time while we were waiting to order. After that our server remained completely silent whenever at our table apart from a sarcastic sounding 'Have a fantastic evening !' as we left. And starting to clear our plates (silently of course) while we were still eating was also a bit previous. In the end we couldn't wait to get out and so skipped the option of more wine, dessert or coffee which is a shame for Gaucho because this is apparently where restaurants made a disproportionate amount of their profit. Won't be back

Mr. Alex W

16 April 2014
I took my father in law to be for dinner here when he was in London as he likes steak and Malbec, and last time we went to the Hawksmoor so I promised to take him somewhere with an Argentine theme for the wines (and steaks). Gaucho as always is really good steak cooked to perfection, and this was no exception. Service was excellent and the wine can only be faulted in that it needed longer decanting to be optimal really. Starters were a bit limited and lacklustre though, and while a lovely meal, the verdict seemed to be that Hawksmoor was better food overall, though not for any failing of Gaucho.

Ms/Mrs. Lizann D

11 April 2014
Boss went for lunch with client here and had a great time with briliant service and great steak.

Mr. Dylan S

Very Upsetting Experience
14 August 2013
My family was in town yesterday and at midday I was asked to reserve a table for 7 on a Tuesday evening. My Dad was keen on a steakhouse, so I first checked the Guinea Grill, then Hawksmore then Goodmans, venues which I have greatly enjoyed in the past for both quality and atmosphere. Unfortunately, all three were full (and we checked various locations for both) so we settled for Gaucho on Swallow Street which was able to accomodate our group. On arrival we were taken to the top floor. On being seated about a round table, the first thing we noticed was that the lights were so dim that it was difficult to see each other, let alone read the menu. We asked to be moved to another table which, at 8pm, had a little more light coming through some slits in one of the windows whilst the sun was still up, but not enough for the older generation amongst our group to read to menu. Too add to our disappointment, the music was playing at a ridiculous volume; so loud in fact that most of us were unable to hear the waiter running us through the different kind of steaks. I asked for the music to be turned down a little, which, initially was done, but within 5 minutes it was turned up again. I asked again and again and again. One of the waiters claimed that “If we turn it down, you can hear people speak louder, so we turn it up”. What??? At this stage I gave up. It was very upsetting to have to sit together at a family reunion and be unable to speak to anybody who was not immediately to your right or to your left; that is of course if you could recognise them in the dark. This was so very upsetting to us all. We should have been warned that this was going to be a nightclub. Believe me, I like nightclubs with dim lighting playing chillout beats ‘Copacabana Deep’ style mixed by DJs with names like Paulo Arruda whilst I line up the shots up on the bar and ‘Hi-5’ my pals, but this event was supposed to be a rare family get-together. My fiancée asked for a lemonade and it never arrived. My Dad had to wait for 10 minutes for mustard whilst his steak went cold. One would normally assume that a steakhouse, however posh, would offer to serve mustard with a steak. We ordered a second bottle of wine and had to wait for over 20 minutes; it only arrived when we asked the head waiter where it was. It was actually sitting on the bar. Pity we had finished our steaks when it arrived having had to drink water to wash down our steaks. On paying the bill, my sister told our waiter that we were dissatisfied with the service and would be reducing the (included) service charge from 10% to 5%. The waiter was apologetic, but it was JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH. NEVER EVER book this hole if you want to enjoy somebody’s company. DO bring your broker pals here after 12 pints of Aspalls on a Thursday evening before hitting China White or Nam Long. The steaks are actually very good and the ‘Copacabana Deep’ beats will get your blood flowing. As it is so dark nobody will be able to tell you have knocked back 12 pints of cider. And no one will know you are drunk as they will not be able to hear you.

Ms/Mrs. Lisa W

08 August 2012
I had not been here for a few years as it had been underwhelming then, but friends really wanted to go. Nothing has changed – this is all about the name, with trendy clients, many look like tourists and an overpriced meal. The food is not bad, but it is not great – quite nice steak, small salad with tasteless dressing and greasy chips. Service is attentive and wine list is good. London just has so many better places you are really wasting money of this tiered offering. Chains like Cote do a better steak and fries at more reasonable prices.

Mr. Damian F

11 July 2011
I have been to Gaucho several times and never had an experience like this one. Let’s get the good things out of the way… waiter and waitress that served us were excellent. Food was good, but not in the same league as the top floor restaurant at Smiths of Smithfield’s and the prices are comparable. Now the things that ruined our evening (and due to work commitments we don’t get out that much together! 1) Sat outside for a drink first and one of the champagne glasses came with a crack… basic error. 2) We were sat in the basement which is not as cosy as upstairs and on the evening we went far too cold. 3) One of the knives brought for the main course had food residue left on it. Again basic error and one that turned our stomach to be honest 4) Espresso coffee came with so much coffee residue in it it was undrinkable. Now all these thing were dealt with quickly each time we pointed them out and in isolation (apart from the knife) were not really a big deal, but when you have 4 things happening it just makes you wonder what is happening overall. My GF who works in F&B complained to the manager who to his credit, did not charge us for our wine and gave us a complimentary glass of sparkling wine and dessert. However to add insult to injury when the bill came it included two random drinks that we had never had. Incredible! Would I go back, nope, I'll stick to SoS top floor restaurant

Other restaurants near Gaucho Piccadilly

You are requesting to book Gaucho Piccadilly for people on at .