28°-50° Marylebone

Wine Bars·

SquareMeal Review of 28°-50° Marylebone

Chic 28°-50° is a haven for oenophiles who can sample over 30 wines by the glass or carafe as well as choosing from a bespoke ‘collector’s list’ gleaned from private cellars at greatly reduced mark-ups. Attention has been paid to details and service is excellent.

To eat, try exemplary ham hock terrine or a punchy gazpacho served over a black olive and pickled cucumber salad, before tackling super-fresh seabass with butterbeans and piquillo coulis or cod with curried cauliflower purée, spinach, raisins and curry oil.

Otherwise, sharing plates, rock oysters and La Fromagerie cheeses encourage more casual grazing. A striking central bar provides focus in the airy dining space, while the more intimate basement boasts an open kitchen.

Wine Bars

Reviews of 28°-50° Marylebone

SQ

28-50 Marylebone
13 September 2021   - Verified Diner

A very nice restaurant, and very friendly staff.

we enjoyed our lunch and enjoyed the relaxing ambience of the place.

very nice!

Lisa S

Great food and service
12 August 2019   - Verified Diner

Had a business lunch here which went down very well with the client - will be back!

Sarah C

31 July 2018
Ok food but small portions and very expensive for what is a bar with tables. Service hit and miss.

Shamila W

Wine lovers paradise
29 May 2017
Every time I visit 28º-50º I enjoy myself. Apart from their excellent selection of both traditional and unusual wines by glass, carafe and bottle, their exceptional food, never fails to deliver. My guest ordered the the scallops and the hake - both were cooked to perfection. I ordered the chicken liver parfait which was perfectly paired with an apricot and ginger chutney and the suckling pork belly which included salsify (a favourite of mine, commonly used in France though rarely seen on English menus.) Whether you after a quick drink of exceptional wine, or dinner 28º-50º is definitely worth a visit.

Ellen F

Sibling Rivalry
11 July 2013
28-50 is as much as sister to Texture as Kate and Wills' firstborn is cousin to Blue Ivy (23rd cousin twice removed according to the Daily Mail, bastion of all things royal). OK they are aiming at totally different markets but to get the elephant in the room out of the way upfront: the evening here cost a third of our meal at Texture and was 3x better value. I'd recently found Texture a bit forgettable and hadn't been blown away by the 28-50 at Fetter Lane last year but whilst the two 28-50s are twins, with a shared fondness for wooden wine boxes stacked sky high, they are definitely non-identical ones. For a start, the 2 floor-to-ceiling windowed walls of the triangular bar at Marylebone Lane make it light and bright, waving goodbye to sinful-drinking-should-be-done-in-the-dark dim basements. For seconds, the service is charming: the maitre d' helps me up on to the bar stool and tucks me in like a solicitous, but ludicrously good-looking, uncle. Food is straight-forward but delicious (and unlike Texture, fat is allowed). We shared a few small plate starters including the most amazing cubes of intensely piggyish pork belly with really crispy skin and a sticky honey/soy sauce. My spatchcock chicken wasn't the most exciting but was perfectly, simply cooked, with lovely fresh greens and, aaah, triple-cooked chips which may well have seen 3 cooking stages. I finished off with a crispy topped creme brulee, yum. Then there's the wine, which was an education. We ordered a carafe which seemed tiny on arrival (and is actually 250ml which passes now as a “normal” size glass in many places) but, like Mary Poppins's carpet bag, dished out an astonishing 3 glasses of wine. We started with a Portuguese one and then without guilt tried the Rose and then a recommended Viognier. Overall, £50 of money well spent. Of all the family, this is definitely the fair-haired boy for me.

Mike T

Pleasant place to be
10 May 2013
This is my second time here and, likely, not the last. The restaurant is uniformly pleasant, professional and well-run. Food is tasty and well-cooked (menu is brief, but not challenging), service is friendly and prompt and and prices user-friendly. It is the wine list, however, that takes it to the next level: one would not expect to find a bottle of Mastroberardino Taurasi Radici 1997 on the menu at all, let alone of around 60 pounds! Brilliant!

Daniel E

Excellent in all respects
29 April 2013
We visited for the first time this past Saturday night. Ate lunch at the Fetter Lane restaurant a while back and found it very good, very business-y. This one (at night, at least) has a much more sophisticated atmosphere, warm and welcoming and nicely energized. Our server commented that things were quiet, which leads us to think it can be pretty boisterous during the week when the after-work crowd is in force. That struck us as one of the nice things about the place, reflecting the sensitivity and taste with which it's been put together — equally good for groups or couples (both were in evidence on Saturday). She and I are reasonably educated and fairly demanding when it comes to wine, though hardly expert. We know enough to distinguish different grapes and regions so as to be able to guess at what we're likely to enjoy and describe our preferences to someone who is truly knowledgeable — but we're mostly clueless when it comes to vintages and producers. And my taste in wine is very different from Hers. So we ordered by the glass and sampled half a dozen different wines on the recommendation of our server — all were excellent. We also had a glass of the house champagne — too dry for Her, but I found it delicious. The sweet wine paired on the menu with our dessert was very good. The food is really not meant to be the star of the show here, so can't be given very highest marks (if it's inventive cuisine you want, go to Texture). But the menu is thoughtful and varied, and everything we ate was well-executed and delicious and nicely presented. Oysters were excellent, as were our starters (beetroot salad with horseradish yogurt, aubergine and peppers with goats curd, and salmon confit with marinated vegetables). For mains we shared the spatchcock chicken, utterly simple but practically perfect, crisp and moist and properly seasoned, with a tasty Bernaise alongside. Accompanied by a well dressed green salad — what more could you ask? We had a cinnamon creme brulee for dessert, which was very satisfying, at the firm and creamy end of the brulee texture spectrum. Coffee was also good. The service was very good, in a manner appropriate to the type of restaurant this is, both professional and warm — the staff was clearly working hard to please. Our primary server was friendly and attentive and knowledgeable about the wine list — as noted above, her wine recommendations were spot on in response to our requests. Two other staff members appeared to be keeping tabs on us as well: someone appeared from behind the bar almost instantly when our wine glasses ran empty; someone else whisked away our plates before we had time to wish they would, then immediately brought us dessert menus. The meal was well paced and we were given the bill and permitted to pay promptly after we asked. All in all a lovely evening — we will certainly return.

Julie T

29 September 2012
Pretentious staff aren't very helpful. Decent brasserie style food – basic menu done well aside from the non-stellar puddings. Atmosphere was nice enough – it can seem small if the table next to you is having a bit too much fun and sloshing wine about but otherwise a very attractive area. Wine list was pretty interesting – we enjoyed the Priorat. Hence the poor value for money – the “discretionary” 12.5% plus a “donation” and extra charges for additional bread… To be fair, I can't fault the food – but as this is the second time I've been in the last month and they were extremely unhelpful (my vegan friend asked for recommendations or if something could be made without cheese and waitress just pulled a face and didn't suggest a thing), I won't be back anytime soon. This last time – they were very clipped, were unavailable despite us asking to order more and I can't remember the last time a place made me feel unwelcome despite our group of 3 being friendly, appropriately dressed and sober.

Alex G

05 September 2012
It was a pity that I chose to review 28:50 on this occasion. This was my fourth visit to the restaurant (twice previously for lunch and once for drinks in the evening) and each previous time I had liked it sufficiently to want to come back and indeed recommend it to friends. Today was a disappointment in several respects, but not sufficiently so to prevent returnning in the future. On the positive side, there is much to like. The design of the venue is superb, giving the sensation of being airy and spacious with light coming in on from three sides. Despite being busy, the acoustics also work well and one can easily make oneself heard. The wine list is also an absolute joy with a fascinating and eclectic range, priced reasonably and in 75ml measures upwards. We enjoyed a Fino, a Chilean Viognier and a Cote du Rhone Villages, all of which showed great typicity. On previous occasions, wines as diverse as Austrian Gruner Veltliner and reds from Rueda have also been enjoyed. The staff are also friendly and effusive, with an appropriate waiting time between courses. Two things were disappointing on this occasion: first, being sat at the table right by the door. It seems an ill-thought-through idea to have a table seating four (we were three) so close to the front of the restaurant, resulting in a constant and disruptive traffic of people. Second, while one cannot fault a two-course set lunch for £14.95, the main was truly appalling. Billed as “pork collar with hispy cabbage and Madeira jus”, it came to the table cold and reminded me of late-night kebab experiences from yestertear, with the hispy cabbage much closer in form to soggy lettuce. Food and drink merit five out of ten based on the wine selection and the fact that previous mains from the a la carte have been executed much better. Conclusion: do go, but ask for a table away from the door, drink lots of wine and choose your food carefully.

Richard E

12 June 2012
I stumbled across 28-50 in Fetter Lane a couple of years ago just after it opened, as it is a stone's throw from my office. It has become a sort of second office for me now, a place to take clients or just to pop in after work, to make the commute home on the Central Line a little more bearable. Being a shrewd fellow, Xavier (who co-owns the place with Agi, the chef at their other marvellous joint, Texture) realised that if he truly wanted to take every penny I have, he should open his next venture at the other end of my commute. So he has. My natural wend home means that (unless I take a detour) I have to pass this new venture every night. I've been three times in the first week. This is not a good sign for my wallet. Although the new branch has the same moniker as the original (denoting the degrees of latitude between which, at least until global warming really kicks in, the majority of the world's grapes are grown), it is hard to call it a chain, as the feel and style is so very different. Fetter Lane has a small, blink-and-you-miss-it entrance that takes you down into an Aladdin’s Cave of a restaurant/wine bar. The Marylebone branch is light and open, with two of the walls of the wedge shaped bar off Wigmore Street being glass, and the whole dominated by a V shaped, zinc topped bar. The third wall is an array of wooden wine boxes, that turn out to be used for storage. Downstairs there’s an open kitchen and a few more tables. The only disappointing thing upstairs is that Westminster Council has not seen fit to allow tables outside: the sooner it sees the error of its ways the better. As with the Fetter Lane branch, there is an excellent selection of wines by the glass, carafe or bottle as well as the “collectors list” of top notch wines at just over retail prices, allowing you to taste some great wines with restaurant food at little more than you would pay to sample at home. To ensure that things run smoothly, a number of the Fetter Lane crew have been shipped in to oversee operations, and the service is excellent: friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. As a restaurant, the place is already full; as for bar snacks, including burger on the list alongside charcuterie and cheese is genius, and the triple cooked chips get a ten out of ten. OK, so the burger round the corner at Meatliquor might be better, but the version at 28-50 is lovely, you don’t have to queue in the cold and damp, don’t have to peer through the gloom to see the menu, get much better chips, far, far better wine and service that is streets ahead. So if you want to be trendy, want to catch cold for your food, go to Meatliquor. If you want good food and fantastic wine in a friendly atmosphere whilst watching the world go by, go to 28-50.

Other restaurants we like near 28°-50° Marylebone

Cocochan

2 Veneti
Mayfair

2 Veneti

Book 28°-50° Marylebone for people on at .