Fish, British

SquareMeal Review of Wiltons

Archaic, determinedly old school and one of the few restaurants where that outmoded jacket-and-tie policy still seems wholly appropriate, this impeccably groomed restaurant looks right at home among the streets of St James’s. Wiltons is a handsome fellow indeed, “a restaurant with purpose and life” – so switch off your electronic devices and tap into the velvety richness of it all. As fish sellers of yore, with a family tradition dating back to Georgian times, Wiltons still majors on the finest British seafood – some of the best oysters in town, dressed crab, Dover sole meunière, lobster Newburg et al. Meanwhile, those with other palates and preferences might prefer a bowl of beef consommé or a twice-baked Stilton soufflé ahead of a trencherman mixed grill or fallow deer with roast shallots, fennel and cherries. Lunchtime trolleys are weighed down with gargantuan roasts and other pleasurable repasts, while desserts mine a rich vein of nostalgic comfort – apple crumble with custard, bread-and-butter pudding, etc. Service is deferential to a fault, and the upper-crust wine list is generously endowed with vintage clarets and Burgundies from the great years – although its “astronomical” prices are unlikely to trouble the old brigade in their Savile Row suits.

Good to know about Wiltons

Opening Times of Wiltons

Mon-Fri 12N-2.30pm Mon-Sat 5.30-10.30pm

Reviews of Wiltons

Mr. Simon G

The definition of a classic...
07 February 2016
What can one say about Wilton's. It is an institution, and for good reasons. What is good about this restaurant? Well, pretty much everything. The food is very good - British cuisine at it's best, simplicity executed incredibly well, allowing the produce and flavours to do the talking, not a chef's ego. My meal consisted of a cheese and onion soup (delicious, utterly delicious), cod with romesco puree (delightful and full of flavour - and I say this as someone who usually avoids the fish option), and a super apple crumble. The service is first class - attentive yet unobtrusive. You are very well looked after by the staff. It is clear that they all have a specific role, but the shared purpose is simply to allow you to enjoy your meal. The restaurant itself is also beautiful. Understated style and comfort - classic in every sense of the word. Combined with a a good crowd of businessmen enjoying their lunch and talking intently with their dining partners, it had the sense of a restaurant with purpose and life. As for what is bad? Well, it's hard to really single anything out. As close as I could find is the astronomical prices of the a la carte menu, and the limited selection of Loire Valley reds on the wine list... But at this stage I think we really are getting overly critical. I'd highly recommend this restaurant. Especially if one makes use of the Square Meal deal of £30 for the three course seasonal menu with a glass of Champagne included. We did just that (and with that deal, the value is arguably four stars, as opposed to the three I gave based on the a la carte prices).

Mr. paolo S

very good venue in St. James's
31 July 2015
A meal of shelfish and crustacea - oysters, crab, lobster - of superb quality, especially the Newburg lobster. Very tasty and balanced the dessert, a chocolate fondant. Extraordinary the wine, Finca la Florencia, a chardonnay of Argentina, indeed great for value in a wine list with exaggerated mark-ups. Not unforgettable the Pedro Ximenez. Very polite, helpful and effective the Hungarian waitress. Overall a great venue, absolutely to go.

Ms/Mrs. Tim A

The great disappointment.
09 April 2015
Wiltons is over-rated, over-priced and over-tired.The service is willing but very average, the decor is in need of a major overhaul and the prices are outrageous for some truly average and frankly unimaginative cuizine. There are many other restaurants in London that offer better food in nicer surroundings for half the price.

Mr. Tariq F

23 August 2014
Heard so much about Wiltons, but was greatly disappointed. The food was mediocre overall! Oysters were good, so was the smoked salmon starter. But just good! The Dover sole, so so… I've Hadith better at Scot's and Boisedale. The desserts, again mediocre. The decor was good and service friendly, but atmosphere was bare, with minimal people. Not the norm for a Friday eve. Would we go there again? Certainly not… Especially keeping in view the astronomical prices.

Ms/Mrs. Kim D

17 March 2012
I was fortunate enough to dine (alone) in this wonderful restaurant just two weeks ago. From entering the restaurant each moment was a sublime pleasure. The restaurant itself has an ‘old boy’ charm, quiet discreet with wonderful art works and ambience. The hosts selected the perfect table for me, where I could relax,and enjoy this gastronomic feast. The ambiance was quiet and relaxing, no blaring phones tv or music. From the first sip of champagne I was enchanted. The staff knew their menu and could advise me on each dish, together with what wine would most enhance it. I chose a crisp fresh goat cheese salad, followed but pâté de foi gras. Both were delicious, fresh and light with pure clean quite sensual taste. The silver service is becoming a lost art throughout Europe, and it was a pleasure to be served in such a manner. Oysters were the speciality of the night, and judging by the amount that I saw heading into the dining area they were very popular. Sea bass was my main course, this too was beautifully presented, and tasted wonderfully fresh and perfectly cooked. The dessert menu was terribly hard to choose from, everything sounded like my next favorite dessert, but on advice of the waiter I choose the crumble, and I wasn't disappointed. Heaven on a spoon. What I loved most was that although alone, I wasn't rushed, or made to feel awkward. A woman dining alone can be a lonely experience, but the staff made me feel welcome, comfortable, and at ease. I was there for the evening, with each course spaced at my timing which I really appreciated. The time between courses allowed me to savor both the wine and the decor. I have to say this has been the best dining experience I've had. I'm a chef, and very hard to please, well done all of you at Wilton's. I hope I can come back again soon.

Mr. Patrick B

21 February 2012
Wilton's is part museum, part restaurant. Don't get me wrong: I mean this in the nicest possible way. It is extremely expensive by “today's standards”, but so is a Rolls Royce. What Wilton's offers is a journey to a time gone by: the St. James's of the 1920s. The interior is reminiscent of the great Clubs of the vincinity. The food is two-star Michelin standard and there is a definite whiff of the “stiff upper lipp” about. But it is quintessentially “London” and very pleasant indeed.

Ms/Mrs. robert B

08 April 2009
The best thing about Wiltons is the Renoir that dominates the back wall of the restaurant. It feels more like a club than a restaurant, the furniture is old, the decor is old, the guests are…The food is the kind you hope you will be served when you are teeth have lost there cutting edge, your eye sight is failing and you are likely to be confused by odd shaped things presented in an unfamiliar way on the plate. Can't knock the quality of the ingredients, the salmon- from Foremans- was very good, the pork was splendid and the broad beens very good indeed. Good for any relative over the age of 70 bad for anyone looking for something exciting or some signs of life.

Mr. Gareth H

24 February 2009
Wiltons looks and feels very establishment. The décor is clubby and old world and service attentive. Pricing is a bit of a shock at c£20 for many starters and £22 to nearly £40 for mains. The food was good but unspectacular and my view is that time has overtaken this old-school favourite. There are many more stylish places with more creative food at better prices around.

Ms/Mrs. Jayne W

12 January 2009
This really is an “establishment” restaurant. I'm sure I should have recognised some of the people in there too. However, whilst the ingredients are obviously of an extremely high standard, the presentation is a bit lacking, especially given the price. The potted shrimp for a starter looked deceptively small, but they really had packed the prawns into it. The crabcake for a main course was lovely, but at £24 I would have expected to have something else on the plate apart from just a crabcake, instead of having to pay for additional sides. My glass of wine was forgotten about too, even though they apologised profusely for it and realised before presenting us with a bill with it listed. All in all, I can say I've been to one of the oldest restaurants in London, but probably won't be rushing back. Would be an ideal place to send business visitors too if they've never been to London though (and on an expense account!).

Other restaurants near Wiltons

You are requesting to book Wiltons for people on at .