Wild Honey St James

Modern European

SquareMeal Review of Wild Honey St James

Wild Honey and Arbutus were two of the landmark restaurants of the late noughties and their chef-patron Anthony Demetre one of the most consistently inventive British chefs of the past 20 years. The closure of both restaurants was a sad loss for London dining but the spirit of Wild Honey has been re-incarnated at the Sofitel St James.

There’s no escaping the hotel feel of what was formerly the Balcon restaurant, a large space split between a toffee leather and blue-grey velvet-furnished dining room and a bar for cocktails and charcuterie.

Sofitel’s French ownership, meanwhile, lends a literal Gallic accent to proceedings, with staff who wish you a cheery ‘bonsoir!’. It also imbues a slightly surreal feel to a scene that couldn’t be any more English, with red London buses puttering past the creamy Regency architecture outside.

Demetre’s cooking, however, remains as distinctive as ever. Is there any other chef who can elevate pistou soup - basically vegetable broth - into something that tastes like a rite of spring? Excellent sourcing, meanwhile, includes a plate of salt-scattered and sun-kissed Sardinian tomatoes that taste purely, absolutely of tomato.

Elsewhere, a fat curl of octopus tentacle has its assertively maritime flavour amplified by smoked cod’s roe. Welsh lamb gets a perfect partner with sweetbreads (speared by edible skewers) while cacio e pepe macaroni with chicken wings delivers on the promised comfort of bronzed chook and creamy cheese.

With Imperial Treasure next door, Milos over the road and rumours of a big-name American chef opening in the old Villandry site opposite, this once forgotten corner of St James’s is gradually evolving into a restaurant destination of impressive sophistication. Wild Honey might have lost the cosy charm of its Mayfair premises but its cooking still hits the sweet spot.

Ayala female chef series Ayala female chef series

Good to know about Wild Honey St James

Sun: 17:00-21:30

Reviews of Wild Honey St James

Wendy M

23 August 2014
I'd go along with Square Meal overview having had 3 good meals with decent wine. Delicate turbot was wonderful and soft veal noteworthy too. Food prepared with care and beautifully presented, served by friendly people, together with a changing menu makes it a good repeat venue for us.

09 April 2014
First visit to this restaurant and first impressions were great. Service was quick, food was excellent and had the set menu. Great venue for a quick business / social lunch as having the set menu we were informed we would be served quickly and the staff were true to their word. Would definitely visit again.

Mr. Valero D

Business focused
17 October 2013
The food is decent but expensive. I asked for a nice table as it was my girlfriend's birthday and they placed us right in the middle of the restaurant. We were literraly separated 2 inches from the nearby tables. When I told the waiter, they basically ignored us. Service is really bad. It is a nice restaurant for business meetings but I would never go there for a social ocassion.

Sue H

Wild Honey London W1
17 July 2013
A good set lunch price for the standard of cuisine but really rather restricted in choice if there are things you do not eat/like. Generally though a good venue and service so well worth a visit, I had an enjoyable lunch.

Ken S

Well Done
22 February 2013
Attentive and warm reception, good service and a manageable well delivered menu. Will be back…

Ms/Mrs. Krystle L

12 November 2012
I think that Wild Honey is a lovely place for a meal. The ambience was great. Maybe a little dark but it was romantic, rustic and cosy – a perfect place on a cold autumn night. I think it’s a good place to have a secret rendezvous as well, seeing as how the couple at the next table were having a their getting-to-know-each-other date. Perhaps the tables were too close together because I found myself eavesdropping and listening to their conversation. I enjoyed all 3 dishes that I ordered and I think I would return to Wild Honey again some time in the future for a casual date night with my significant other…

Mr. Alex G

05 October 2012
I am full of praise for Wild Honey and it only seems to get better. This was the first time I had been there since the minor refurbishments the restaurant undertook earlier this year and yet the atmosphere remains unchanged. One feels automatically enveloped in comfort, with the warm wooden walls, generous seats, well-spaced tables and a large mirror at the back (below which we were seated) creating an effect of wonderful spaciousness. The staff all had absolutely the right attitude, friendly and engaging yet discreet too. And, the food is superb: think of timeless classics with a twist of contemporary innovation. Although perhaps a bold combination, my soup comprising soft poached ‘Burford Brown’ egg, pink grapefruit, buckwheat and potato worked amazingly well with the acidity of the grapefruit acting as a perfect and refreshing foil to the more starchy potato. The overall effect was one of lightness, leaving me anticipating the main. The choice of veal was much more traditional, but also executed to perfection with the mash in particular acting as a good match. My dining comrades were similarly impressed with their options and a two-course lunch menu of this quality for £23 (or £26 should pudding be added) constiutes phenomenal value. The wine list also deserves mention and it is rare to see in a restaurant of this quality wines priced from sub-£20 a bottle. Our tempranillo ar £18.50 was more than adequate for the occasion, making the whole event not only enjoyable, but also very reasonably priced. The chocolates that accompanied our coffee rounded the event off perfectly.

Ms/Mrs. Lynn W

22 August 2012
The Olympics were on, central London was empty, and on a warm summer evening we went to Wild Honey with friends. Such a treat, the food delicious and service charming. The menu had plenty of interesting dishes to choose from, and I started with salad of fresh goats’ curd, peas and potatoes – summer on a plate! The luscious puréed peas, minted potatoes and soft clouds of goats curds so good I was sorry I'd never had this before. Rabbit to follow was rich and tasty with a well flavoured stuffing. Dessert of wild honey ice cream with crushed honeycomb such a good combination, the ice cream really gorgeous with a proper hit of honey partnered with crunchy sweet pieces. All totally fab. The room is all wood panelled and not an obvious choice for a long light evening, but we all had such a good time with great food and good company, and relaxed service.

Ms/Mrs. Becky H

18 January 2012
I ate at Wild Honey last night and really enjoyed it. Soft poached egg with wild mushrooms and turnip tops was remarkably tasty for relatively few ingredients and the pear clafoutis I had for pudding was possibly the most delicious pudding I've ever had – crisp outer shell and soft, squidgy, warm sponge. I had cod and octopus in red wine for my main which was good but had less sauce than I would've liked and wasn't that hot – i think it just cooled down quickly as there wasn't much sauce and it was spaced out on the plate. We tried a bottle of white Rioja which was very crisp and fresh, and seemed good value. The total bill was a bit less than expected which was a welcome surprise. The only stand-out odd thing was the lighting – it's so bright! The waiter said that he feels it should be dimmed a bit too but the chef wants it bright so that we can see the food. I'm sure we could see the food in a more ambient light! The odd candle wouldn't go amiss but perhaps that wouldn't suit its quite masculine feel. Overall it was very enjoyable and delicious, interesting food.

Mr. Kieran S

15 July 2011
My first experience of Wild Honey was exactly one week ago, a friend invited me and it was an experience that urged me to put up my own review of the restaurant. The food was simply sumptuous, from the succulent plaice, my first experience of snails to the delicious mouth-watering sherry trifle. It was a wonderful evening and the staff of Wild Honey truly makes this eating experience fine. They are so willing to make an informal evening feel very special indeed and even though the restaurant was packed, all courses were well timed with great service in between; wine, fresh warm bread. By far my favorite dish was rabbit, very tender, great flavors to complement. My best side was the garlic gratin. Overall a great evening and wonderful to meet the head chef: Colin. I'll definitely return. By the way value for money was excellent. This is a restaurant for all occasions. Kieran

Other restaurants near Wild Honey St James

You are requesting to book Wild Honey St James for people on at .