Upstairs Bar & Restaurant

SquareMeal Review of Upstairs Bar & Restaurant

Hidden on the upper levels of a Victorian house, with a rather groovy bar serving ‘remarkably good’ cocktails on one floor and a warm-toned dining room with only enough space for 10 tables above, this bustling little eatery is a curious but pleasing local success story. The mood of calm, relaxing comfort combined with an understated fixed-price menu make it the perfect choice for dates and special occasions, and the kitchen shows serious talent when it comes to melding British, French and Italian flavours. Choice is limited, but the line-up changes every two weeks – so expect anything from smoked eel with beetroot and watercress to lamb with aubergines and tomato, or plaice with leeks and lemon. Prices are remarkably fair, and the succinct 60-bin wine list manages to cater for all budgets.

French

Location for Upstairs Bar & Restaurant

89b Acre Lane, London, SW2 5TN

Tues-Sat 6.30-9.30pm (Fri-Sat –10.30pm)

Reviews of Upstairs Bar & Restaurant

Ms/Mrs. Jenn B

THE WORST DINING EXPERIENCE
09 December 2013
This is the worst dining experience I have ever had. The food was average at best, the service was appalling, the staff were incompetent and rude. The manager was particularly awful and finished our evening by saying that we should not of had 2 bottles of wine if we were not happy with the meal. Wine, which I had to go to the bar to collect myself as the waiters had gone AWOL. The menu came after requesting twice and 45 minutes after our arrival. The first course took 2 hours to be served. The idea that this was meant to be a French themed restaurant is absurd and an embarrassment. In fact the owner should be done for false advertising. My mother was visiting and it almost ruined the whole weekend however the following day we went to two proper restaurants with good food and excellent service. I shall send the manager to these restaurants for training.

Ms/Mrs. Selina S

A true gem
11 September 2013
The plan to ‘grab a meal’ at a decent place near the Academy pre-show, turned out to be the most wonderful suprise for us. A corner table in the cosy top floor of Upstairs was the perfect spot for us – we were first presented with a perfectly put together Aperitif list – I could not resist the Cancun Mojito – a spicy (nutment and cinammon) take on a whisky sour which was superb – so much so that my usual whisky-free drinking partner who had a try, was full of praises. The gradvalax starter was served with the most delectable, light “crisp-like” flavoured light cracker – beautifully presented and melt-in-mouth goodness. This was followed by a sea-bass fillet with prawn consomme – fresh and delectable. The flavours in everything we consumed (including the amuse bouche) was perfectly balanced and divine. Ambient lighting with a mix of music which included beats from Stéphane Pompougnac's Costes albums, washed down by some very good value wine selections, made the whole experience a wonderful treat. Service was smashing and attentive. Our only regret was not having enough time to have desert – we will be back for the seven course tasting menu!

Mr. Sean C

13 May 2011
Went there tonight on a late anniversary dinner on a recommendation from a friend. I loved the whole buzzer to get there but then I am a fan of the speak-easy concept! We had a bottle of champagne (they were willing to offer the Prosecco) in the bar as we waited and while initially daunted that there was no-one else it soon filled up with others that seemed to be regulars. We went for the tasting menu (£39 a head) which was basically a bit of each course as I have to say nothing jumped out as a specific course that I would have gone for. The two dishes that stood out were the Blackleg Chicken and the Jelly starter, both extremely good as the flavors balanced in a way that others struggled to. Service was okay, you served yourself your wine (kept cold with decent buckets) and water was carafe based (which meant that you were occasionally waiting for refills) but a really decent meal at a good price. We will be recommending this place and would advise others looking for a good meal in the area.

Mr. Caped C

04 September 2009
This restaurant is consistently a fantastic experience and one of South London's hidden gems. I eat in a lot of nice west-end restaurants and am lucky enough to be able to expense those so go to a fair view and have become a little cynical about what I think makes for a good culinary experience. I am delighted to announce that Upstairs is as good as anything the west-end has to offer if not better. First off, this is a complete word-of-mouth experience and this is further heightened from the fact it's above a sandwich shop and access is via an entrance of a side street. If you didn't know what you were looking for, you would never find it as there is no signage to pull in passers-by or casual diners, that's not how this place works. Ok, lets get straight on to the food and drink – in one word – amazing. The experience is high-end michelin star west-end quality with very reasonable prices. I ordered the potted shrimp with a guacomole accompaniement for a starter which was very unusual but worked really well . My dinner date ordered the blue cheese and hazelnut salad – both were delicious but I will save the superlatives for the main courses. Who could have thought an ever present meal such as steak and chips could be pulled off with such a different twist of complex, subtle and delicious flavours, every mouthful was an explosion of different textures and tastes which have left me dreaming of a return visit. The other main course ordered was the seabass which also was to die for and left us wanting more (in a good way not because the portions weren't too small , they are actually just right!). I could go one about why this is special but when you live in South London and there aren't too many places of this quality around, this one has to be experienced. Long may it continue as a secretive word of mouth special place! Drat, writing a review on here might spoil that…

Mr. Shane M

14 December 2008
I have been to Upstairs on a number of occasions and it never dissapoints. Fantastic food and excellent service every time. Make sure you book! This is a small venue and is very popular.

Ms/Mrs. Laura D

22 September 2008
A Brixton gem that has the most beautiful food, delicate and typically French in quirky environs. Not sure how many 'well heeled' locals there are in Brixton, but most of them seem to pop up in here as well as I suspect a few 'well heeled' locals from further afield. My only comment would be that the tables are a little too close together but it is I suppose part of the intimate charm. The cocktails downstairs are highly recommended, a Mojito was served in a cosmo glass (strangely) but was refined with balanced flavour and the quality ingredients shone through. Even if you don't live in Brixton it is well worth the trip as the food is as good a quality as any of the restaurants in central London, even the famous ones which now seem a little overrated in comparison.

Other restaurants near Upstairs Bar & Restaurant

You are requesting to book Upstairs Bar & Restaurant for people on at .