Theo Randall at the InterContinental Park Lane

Italian·

SquareMeal Review of Theo Randall at the InterContinental Park Lane

One of the nicest chefs in London, Theo Randall celebrated a decade at the InterContinental in 2016 with a refurb intended to channel the more relaxed mood of the 2010s, rather than noughties fine dining. Gone are the tablecloths and moody lighting, replaced by an expanded bar area and a lighter colour scheme: it still feels very corporate, although no one is here for the surroundings. Instead, the unaffected charm of Randall’s “superb” cooking is the main attraction: pasta has always been the star, eschewing clichés in favour of fresh ideas such as plump ravioli stuffed with ricotta and cime di rapa, but there’s much more besides. Pan-fried calf’s liver is embellished with cavolo nero and earthy Castelluccio lentils, beef tagliata features a really excellent piece of Longhorn sirloin, while juicy scallops are spiked with chilli, vinegar and anchovies. The Italian wine list is oddly divided by season, although helpful staff are on hand to advise. “Fantastic cocktails” and notable private rooms, too.

Italian

Food & Drink 4
Service 5
Atmosphere 3.5
Value 3.5
Saturday lunch with the girls

This was my first visit to Theo Randalls and the staff were really friendly and helpful.   We had the brunch menu and there was a nice choice of food across all the courses.  My only comment is that there didn't seem to be a vegan main choice but maybe that can be ordered ahead of time.

The antipasti buffet had lots of interesting choices which was great to be able to try lots of different dishes.

Overall we had a nice time as hadn't seem my friends for quite some time and we were not rushed off our table which we really appreciated.

Lloyd S

18 October 2021
Food & Drink 5
Service 5
Atmosphere 4
Value 5
Italian Food at it’s Best

We’ve been wanting to come here for a long time so it now gives me great pleasure to say that I can finally tick it of my list. My only regret really is that we left it so long because the food was amazing and this was  matched by fabulous Italian cocktails and wine along with excellent friendly service.

We arrived at the intercontinental hotel on saturday where we were given a nice welcome before heading inside. The restaurant is literally just on your right. We entered to receive a delightful welcome from manager Anne Marie before she escorted us to our table. It’s a fabulous dining room with a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere which was matched throughout the evening by each member of staff. Once we were seated our evening got of to a great start as from the kitchen came Theo Randall himself. He came over to our ltable for a quick chat and hoped we had a fantastic evening before heading back to prepare for a busy service.

We were then introduced to our waitress Giovanna who I have to say couldn’t have looked after us any better. She started by leaving us the menu and asking if we’d like to start with a cocktail. My wife went for a martini and I just had to have a negroni as I’d seen Theo rave about it on the television. But to be fair it was a good one. Giovanna then came over to guide us through the menu and also give us some great recommendations.

First up was the antipasti where we opted for the Carne Salata - thinly sliced Angus Beef with zucchini , pine nuts , parmesan and the Anguilla Affumicata - smoked eel , red and golden beetroots , italian leaves , fresh horseradish. They were both absolutely amazing and a fantastic way to begin.

We’d now finished our cocktails so it was time to meet the sommelier to discuss wine pairings for our next two courses. Here he recommended a couple of absolutely stunning italian wines that matched the food to perfection. The first was for myself a fabulous Barbera D’Asti 2017 Superiore a full bodied beauty that was so good I had to have a second glass. For my wife he chose a delightful lighter and fruitier Langhe Nebbiolo 2019.

Now it time for our pasta course. My wife chose the Cappelletti do Vitello - pasta stuffed with veal and pancetta with porcini mushrooms & parmesan that not only looked delicious tasted it to. I decided to opt for the Pappardelle con ragu di manzo - pasta with slow cooked beef in chianti & san marzano tomatoes that was absolutely italy on a plate.

Next it was on to the main event and if what we’d already had wasn’t amazing enough what was to follow was absolutely stunning. We chose the Orata - sea bream fillet with potatoes , tomatoes , capers , olives and white wine with the look on my wife’s face was all I needed to see to realise how good it was. I chose the Grilled Beef Sirloin ‘Tagliata’ with cannellini beans , salsa verde , datterini tomatoes and wild rocket. I was literally in food heaven. We accompanied these dishes with a salad and the best zucchini fritte ever.

Now it was time to finish with dessert. My wife opted for the Cheese course (apologies for no pic) a selection of italian cheeses with mostarda and homemade crackers. For myself I chose the Ricotta Cheesecake with pears , sultanas marinated in marsala & vanilla. This was the best cheesecake I’d ever tasted. Along with this and on Giovanna’s recommendation I also had the Soft Chocolate Cake with crema di mascarpone an absolutely chocolate lovers dream dessert.

We finished with an espresso to round of an absolutely amazing evening. You can clearly see why so many people say it’s the best Italian restaurant because the food is simply stunning. I literally cannot wait to come back and would highly recommend anyone to pay a visit themselves.

Thank You Theo and all your team for a fantastic evening and look forward to seeing you all again soon. Ciao for now.

Andrea B

06 August 2019
I love that Theo Randall works most evenings in the restaurant and will always make the effort to come out and engage with his guests. The portion sizes are very generous and overall the food is so delicious and wholesome.

Anne B

26 July 2019
Amazing food - very friendly team - felt really at home.

Paul H

15 July 2019
Consistently excellent.

Lynn O

28 June 2019
Did the masterclass at the restaurant . Was brilliant. Meal after was also delicious and so plentiful. Staff were welcoming and knowledgable . Sommelier produced some lovely accompanying wines. Lucky enough to win a Bruch for two and can't wait to return.

don C

28 June 2019
Everything is excellent at this super restaurant.

Caroline M

10 July 2018
Great menu, fair pricing, great service and ambience which is why I keep going back.

Jan T

10 July 2018
Great Italian food with very attentive service.

Caroline M

15 June 2017
Great food, cooked really well. Theo will mingle with his customers. Good staff and nice atmosphere.

Other restaurants we like near Theo Randall at the InterContinental Park Lane