The Blue Legume Crouch End

Cafes

Call The Blue Legume Crouch End to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of The Blue Legume Crouch End

On the site of Crouch End’s redoubtable World Café, newcomer The Blue Legume is already popular with locals in search of a satisfying weekend brunch. Like its siblings in Islington and Stoke Newington, it boasts a comprehensive breakfast menu ranging from eggs Benedict to chocolate con churros via Mediterranean platefuls of grilled haloumi, spicy sausage and feta. Savouries and cakes from the tiled counter can be enjoyed over a top-notch coffee, while burgers, pasta and paninis hit the spot at lunchtime. BYO (£5 corkage) also makes dinner a wallet-friendly option: try grilled king prawns followed by spinach and ricotta ravioli or rib-eye and fries. Expect quality sourcing, generous portions and wholesome flavours – all delivered by welcoming staff. Pavement tables supplement the bright interior, which is fashionably decked out with vintage wallpaper and chandeliers, stripped-back floorboards and exposed brick.

Good to know about The Blue Legume Crouch End

Reviews of The Blue Legume Crouch End

Ms/Mrs. Alex W

Lovely Sunday lunch
05 May 2013
Not sure if something has changed since the poor reviews but have to say we just enjoyed a really super lunch this afternoon. Coffee was tasty, the food well cooked and fresh (personally recommend the gravadlax) and the potions very generous! The staff were attentive but not overbearing and made for a relaxing time. Will go again for sure :)

Mr. Paul L

A Great Breaky & Brunch
30 March 2013
The Blue Legume is always 100% welcoming and go out of their way to to make you feel at home. Great coffee and very tasty staple dishes. Be specific and they will tailor it to your liking. The real testament of the place is that there is always a queue, so book ahead. On my way there now! Happy Easter 2013!

Mr. jay C

15 November 2012
Love the one in Stoke Newington. Hard to see how this one has the same name. The food here is really bad, not served cold or that the portions are too small.. but taste wise it's like its out of a packet and leaves a sour taste in the mouth. You'd think with all the effort that went into the fancy decor, they'd put some love into cooking. ok for a coffee, i'd say go anywhere else for a bite.

Mr. Matt L

02 September 2012
When I saw the building work going on before the blue legume opened in Crouch End, I was really excited and looking forward to regularly popping in for breakfast/lunch etc I've been there three times since it has opened, but as of this morning never again. The place is so misleading – its been done up very nicely but its all just surface, as the food is about the same standard as the weatherspoons pub just down the road – ie nothing fresh, all microwaved, with cheap ingredients and no salad/fresh greens. Honestly was expecting something much much nicer and was extremely disappointed. On top of this, the staff are incredibly rude – the first time i went in they continued to chat amongst themselves behind the till, completely ignoring me, even tho i was one of the only people in there at a really quiet time. Eventually when I finally managed to get one of them to come over and take my order, it was quite awkward as the waitress could barely understand anything i asked for – its no problem at all for serving staff to be from elsewhere, but there should at least be a basic understanding of english, again, not what I was expecting from this place at all. When the food finally arrived it was immensely disappointing – as mentioned above extremely low quality, and clearly microwaved. The salad that was supposed to come with the dish could in no way qualify as a salad – 2 small browning lettuce leaves on the side of the plate – more as a token garnish than anything you would ever want to eat. Just awful. Whats more the prices are double that of places of similar quality (eg Weatherspoons pubs, mentioned above). My second visit was with my cousin a month or so later, and it was much the same experience. I swore I wouldn't go again but this morning I was really hungry and fancied a quick breakfast, so I thought why not give the place another chance – it was quite busy when I arrived, and sat down at a table near to the door – a waitress passing by said “is it just you?” with a disdainful look on her face – I smiled and replied yes just me, and she said “you are alone” and then walked off!!! quite strange. A family of four came in and I offered my table to them as there were no other large tables available – I moved over to a table by the window, read the menu and decided what to order. I waited…and waited… a couple sat in the table next to me and were served almost immediately by the same waitress who made the comment to me earlier, which wasnt great, as I had already been sitting there for 10 minutes. After another 5 minutes of sitting there like a lemon, with no sign that anyone had noticed me or felt in any way like taking my order, I just got up and walked out, again un-noticed. Now I'll never ever set foot in there again, and will make sure to tell everybody I know in the area to avoid the place like the plague. Absolutely awful service, bland and depressing food, and one more thing to mention – the staff seem to be allowed to play their own music at a really loud volume – the acoustics of the place are really harsh as there is no soft furnishing, so you are pretty much assaulted by eastern european pop music throughout the whole experience. Dreadful – there are sooo many better choices in Crouch End, this place is just a complete rip off, and cynical into the bargain, as it is dressed up to look like something far more special. Never Again!!!

Ms/Mrs. Jemma C

08 June 2012
My visit here at lunch time was thoroughly disappointing. I ordered from the kids menu for my girls. The pasta pesto turned up stone cold and had to be sent back and the sausage and chips came piping hot. The quality of the food was very poor & unappealing. I had a dry club sandwich with lettuce well past its best & a stingy portion of chicken. I really can't see what this place had to recommend it & don't understand how it was busy. There must be far better places to eat in Crouch End.

Ms/Mrs. Liz B

03 May 2012
We had been to the Blue Legume in Stoke Newington and had a delicious lunch there so when we saw the new one in Crouch End where we live we were really pleased. Nothing could have been further from what we expected. None of the staff can speak English, they got our orders wrong, we had to wait half an hour for a pot of tea. A couple of members of staff were eating their lunch on the next table whilst we were waiting to be served! The ambience was fantastic and when the tea arrived was delicious but we won't go there again simply because the service was abysmal. Such a shame. He has got a great recipe for success there but I think people in Crouch End expect better than this!

Other restaurants near The Blue Legume Crouch End

You are requesting to book The Blue Legume Crouch End for people on at .