The Ambrette at Canterbury

Call The Ambrette at Canterbury to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of The Ambrette at Canterbury

Having wowed Margate and Rye with his innovative take on Indian cuisine, Dev Biswal has moved to Canterbury for his latest venture – a 100-seater restaurant in a converted pub. As before, the focus is on a trademark ‘curry-free menu’ of fascinating crossover dishes based on seasonal produce from the region. Soft-shell crab with smoked crab raita, sea purslane and a crab and beetroot cake sets the tone, ahead of grilled local mutton steak with Chantenay carrots, pickled mango chutney, masala potatoes and saffron sauce or the day’s fish with sea spinach, mung bean kedgeree, fennel and cumin chutney. As the largest of his three restaurants, this outlet is also destined to become a training and development hub for the burgeoning Ambrette group. There are plans to offer all-day dining, breakfast and afternoon tea too.

Indian

Location for The Ambrette at Canterbury

14-15 Beer Cart Lane, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 2NY

Mon-Sun 11.30am-2.30pm Mon-Thurs 6-9.30pm Fri-Sun 5.30-10pm

Reviews of The Ambrette at Canterbury

This is the WORST customer service I have EVER experienced, SHOCKING!! and the Management Feedback even worse!!!
20 March 2019

This is the WORST customer service I have EVER experienced, SHOCKING!!

I booked a special early Mother’s Day treat for myself and my Mother to go to the theatre and eat here afterwards yesterday evening 16.03.19. Had a wonderful time shopping, then watching Warhorse at the Marlowe, which was outstanding and we were having a great day.

We then walked to this restaurant for our meal. When we arrived, it was very quiet and soulless in there. The staff were still removing their coats, and generally looked annoyed to receive customers. We were directed to a table in the window, which was nice. My Mother sat down, then strangely the waiter then decided to start rearranging the blind straight behind her, invading her personal space, which was really bad manners.

We were given menus, then ignored for probably about ten minutes and not offered a drink, even though there were only about three other occupied tables in there and the staff continually had their backs to us.

In the end, I had to ask to the same waiter if we could order our drinks, I had to call him across the restaurant as he was at the bar with his back towards us.

My Mother order a Gordons Gin & Tonic, and the same waiter moodily said ‘we don’t do that one’ without giving other options. It reminded me of the ‘Computer says No’ sketch from the programme Little Britain. We then ordered a different option. In the mean-time I asked a young waitress if we could order some food and she advised that someone will be there in a minute. Nobody came to take our food order.

The drinks took another ten minutes to come and the same space invading waiter brought them over. When he arrived at our table, he accidentally tipped over her bottle of tonic water, spilling half on the floor, and then just proceeded to serve it to us without changing it or offering a replacement. It was like something off Fawlty Towers!

I then asked if he could take our food order, he rudely said, that he was serving our drinks at the moment and had to clean up the drink he spilt then he would take our order.

I said to my Mother that we have asked twice for our food order to be taken, and the waiter repeated what I said back to himself, sarcastically and taking the p*ss out of me. I could not believe what I was hearing!!

With that I got up and told him that we would not be eating there and I would pay for the drinks, but we were not eating there, and I have never experienced such rude customer service. You get better service in McDonalds.

I have eaten in many restaurants both mid-range and expensive fine dining establishments and I have never experienced service like that in my entire life. The space invading waiter clearly had a low opinion of women and I will not put up with treatment like that. It was like a scene from Fawlty Towers. We eventually found a better restaurant to eat it in Canterbury and had a wonderful meal with great service.

I would just say to anyone thinking of eating here, avoid at all costs. The customer service is SHOCKING! I did not even finish my drink that I had ordered because I was so cross. Avoid Avoid Avoid!!!

And to top it off, showing the terrible customer from the manager, this is the response I got back on Tripadvisor, basically trying to imply that I am mad and hoping that other customers see through me as a reviewer!!! No apology.

SHOCKING!!!

Devbiswal, Guest Relations Manager at The Ambrette Canterbury, responded to this review

Responded yesterday

You arrived at the restaurant at 17:20 but we open at 17:30. Even though we were still doing our last minute set up for the evening service we were kind enough to accommodated you.

Our waiters pull the blinds down every day before service as part of the restaurant set up and they kindly did request for your permission before doing so next to your table.

With regards to the drinks situation, as already mentioned, we were still setting up and not open to the public.

This member of staff who served you has been commended numerous times on Trip Advisor for exemplary service and we do not believe that he was rude to you. As a policy, we must always repeat customer's orders to make sure that there was no mistake in the food order. Our staff do not have a low opinion of women and we have people from all genders and nationalities working in our restaurant.

Our customers rate us quite highly for our food and service, therefore we are certain that most people would see through this review and reviewer very clearly and make their own judgement.

Other restaurants near The Ambrette at Canterbury

You are requesting to book The Ambrette at Canterbury for people on at .