SquareMeal Review of Scott's

Scott’s is more than a restaurant, it’s a scene, a landmark, a legend.  Although it’s been around for half a century, it only struck gold when it reopened under Caprice Holdings in 2006. Mount Street was changing from stuffy residential enclave to fashion Mecca and Scott’s was there – catnip to fish-loving foodies, fashionistas and posh people who were instantly hooked on its infectiously buzzy ambience.

The interior is beguiling by day and night. An oval oyster bar with tall stools and a magnificent ‘high altar’ for shellfish dominates the light-filled front space. There are cosy tables at the rear and confident modern art on the walls, while a flower-filled pavement terrace attracts smokers and the ever-present paparazzi.

The menu nods to meat eaters with veal cutlets, steaks, chicken pie and venison fillet with celeriac purée. But this is essentially a seafood restaurant, serving up “simply the best fish in town” – from homely potted shrimps and dressed crab to exotic octopus carpaccio and monkfish with spicy tiger prawn masala via oysters and caviar, lobster thermidor, battered haddock and extravagant fruits de mer.

‘Fish on the bone’ might bring halibut and massive 22oz Dover soles, as well as delicate slip soles with capers and parsley butter, but the full repertoire covers everything from scallops in the shell richly doused in garlic and chilli butter to roast cod dressed with cauliflower purée and chorizo. There are also some imaginative vegetable dishes such as roast squash with quinoa and harissa.

It’s also worth saving some room for totally tempting desserts such as gooseberry pie, peach melba or a flashy take on Bakewell pudding with almond ice cream. With its “totally reliable” food, “outstanding but unobtrusive” service and a wine list that won’t break the bank, Scott’s is quite simply “outstanding”.  We’ll second that.

Fish
Fun, Glamorous, Lively
Counter dining
Celeb-spotting, Group dining [8+], Romantic, Special occasions

This venue also offers

Private Group Dining

Location for Scott's

20 Mount Street, Mayfair, London, W1K 2HE

Mon-Sun 12N-10.30pm (Sun -10pm)

Reviews of Scott's

Emma R

Perfect!
17 December 2017
We booked the private dining room for a party of 24. The food and wine was excellent, as you would expect, and quite an achievement for so many guests at the same time. However, what stood out for me was the service, which was perfect: friendly and unobtrusive, everything just done effortlessly. The organisation running up to the event was also excellent, easy and friendly. There is a reason this restaurant has a longstanding reputation!

Ms/Mrs. Lorella C

L.
06 November 2017
best Fish & Chips I have ever had!

Ms/Mrs. Natasha K

Great seafood
10 July 2017
When we were initially seated we were fairly unimpressed. I had to wait at the host counter for about 45 seconds waiting for the girls to finish their conversation, and was then seated at a terrible table by the bar, right next to a machine. The restaurant area in the back is much nicer - the whole white linen / candle thing - so I asked to move to that side and they obliged. I don't know why they put us in such a terrible seat.... We ordered the fruits de mer to start, a portion for one became a HUGE starter between the 2 of us. It was such great value for money as we enjoyed oysters, scallops, crab... everything! The manditory dover sole came next, which also did not disappoint. The waitors were all very kind, gentle and warm. As was the somelier - loved it!

Gregory R

Disappointing
08 March 2017
Good points: the starter of duck egg with black pudding and rabbit was delicious, as was my wife's octopus carpaccio (although too much oil); the service was first class; classy atmosphere; excellent wines; Bad points: both my and my wife's main course were thoroughly disappointing. Her sea bream was saturated in so much butter she couldn't finish it and what she did eat left her feeling queasy. The sides of potatoes and green beans were also smothered in butter. My main of John Dory was dry, bland and altogether unenjoyable. We ended up cutting the meal short, skipping dessert and coffee. Perhaps other dishes might fare better. However I don't think I'll risk finding out any time soon.

Stewart S

Overpriced and Very Underwhelming
03 January 2016
We celebrated my friend's birthday at Scott's last week. I started with bass cerviche. It was over-saturated with lime, and way too strong. My wife thought the same. I followed with Sea Bass which was tasteless and overcooked. The rest of the table had lobster which was also tasteless and underwhelming. We should have complained but we tried to make the best of it, and let the evening flow. The girls did actually send back 3 bowls of french fries which frankly, were no better than McCain' frozen oven chips. We each paid £130 each, without alcohol. This pathetic offering is totally unacceptable. Essentially, the food was cooked and served without love and the service was anonymous and cold. If you want to waste your money and get ripped off in a rather dated pretentious London restaurant with very little personality, go ahead. Scott's will suit you well. I would not recommend Scott's, even if it were a quarter price.

Wendy M

Just a bad day at the office?
02 April 2015
Having had a very good initial experience at Scott's, we decided it was time to go back last Saturday evening. We were seated in a corner table facing the central bar which we thought was a better position providing more space between neighbours (although happily our American neighbours on first visit were particularly sociable, added to which service was more than efficient and very pleasant indeed). All things from the sea being the speciality of the restaurant, I thought it sensible to order all seafood comprising Dublin bay prawns and the half lobster thermidor with some sides. My 6 prawns at £27 were expected to be good and when I looked at them wondered if the intestinal tract had been artfully removed without disturbing the flesh (what a mind-boggling feat that would have been), but alas - as I cut in, not only did I have prawns complete with stomach tract but I then noticed the blobs of the lower entrails – no doubt just to add an abstract design to the plate! Rather than making a fuss, I discretely called the waiter and quietly pointed out the offending elements. With a swift shake of the head, he immediately whisked the plate away. Astonishingly, despite a replacement arriving in good time before my partner had finished his very nice risotto, there was no apology from anyone for the fundamental error. For an expensive, simple starter, the prawns tasted good, but nothing more. I hoped that lobster thermidor would be really enjoyable. Not only was it unremarkable in flavour, but the flesh too chewy, having perhaps been exposed to too much heat, but I did eat it. My partner - though not as unlucky as I - was underwhelmed with his main course. As before, the wine was good. The young Italian waiter was pleasant, but his senior who took the order had a slight attitude seeming as though he could hardly be bothered to answer a straightforward question when we were ordering and obviously didn’t care to explain or even attempt apology for the oversight. Unimpressive performance, especially as the restaurant was not particularly busy at 6.30p.m. that evening. Needless to say, at these prices for such sloppy (in many senses of the word) standards, we are unlikely to return. I find it incredulous that two dining experiences in the same restaurant could be so great in contrast, with not only the food, but the service being a lottery.

Mr. Stuart C

21 April 2014
As a Scott's regular, I feel I am as well equipped as anyone to write a review. For me, it's the best fish restaurant in London. The atmosphere is superb from opening to closing time. I frequently have a late lunch there and it's still busy at 4pm – 6pm. Bearing in mind that this is a favourite celeb haunt, you'd think the service might be a bit ‘up itself’ but the contrary is true. The staff are friendly, helpful and the service is always excellent. It's not cheap but shrewd choices mean you don't need to max out the credit card, although the option is there. Dover sole, plain grilled, off the bone wins out every time. Highly recommended.

Mr. Alex G

Consistently excellent
19 February 2014
Scott’s is one of those places (just like Cecconi’s) which remain consistently excellent and reliable, prefect for either work or pleasure and a wonderful combination of new and old money, superb for people-watching. Lunch earlier this week reminded me just how enjoyable Scott’s is and although we sat at the bar rather than at a table, we got the best of the experience and a great place from which to view the rest of the restaurant (including the amazing display of fresh crustacea mounted on top of the bar). Despite the restaurant filling up quickly, none of the servers seemed rush and the service we received was generally impeccable. We were not rushed to order and enjoyed sipping our drinks and sampling Scott’s lovely olives before choosing from the menu. I opted for a delicious piece of monkfish served with some of the best polenta I have ever enjoyed, while my comrade decided on the venison. While not the most obvious choice in a restaurant renowned for its fish, he was similarly impressed with the quality, lean yet juicy meat. The sides of spinach and broccoli were both prepared to perfection too. The only caveat to Scott’s is that it does not come cheap, with few mains for below £25 and many starting from £30. Treat yourself though and do go (or even better, get someone else to pay!)

Ms/Mrs. Kelly E

25 October 2012
Probably one of the best restaurants I've ever been to and never fails to disappoint. Be prepared for quite a hefty price tag, but its worth every penny. The service from the moment the concierge pulls the door open for you is impeccable; you're made to feel every bit as special as the token celebrity diners around you. The atmosphere is buzzy without being so loud you can't hear each other speak, but enough that diners next to you can't overhear your conversation! The aroma of beautifully fresh shellfish hits you as you step through the door and see the magnificent display at the oyster bar that monopolises the centre of the restaurant creating a stunning focal point. The food itself then lives up to every expectation; cooked to perfection and delicious. And the service is second to none. Your glass is refilled without you noticing and the food arrives at a perfectly even pace, allowing just the right amount of time for sipping wine and conversation between courses. If you're going for a special occasion – do let them know when you book. We went for my boyfriend's birthday and they took the effort to pipe Happy Birthday and his name in chocolate on his dessert plate. A lovely touch.

Mr. Ray W

20 September 2012
The one undisputable draw of Scott's, given that if you want good, hot food you might as well cook it yourself at a fraction of the price, is that on settling at the bar during evening service you are transported to a world of elegance and sexy sophistication that even Mayfair prices fail to diminish . You may have to bring the sex and sophistication yourself but the room is simply great. Service is friendly though stretched so food seems to come the long way round, but once there the scallop starter was plump and fresh, sea bass and slip soles mains basically fish on a plate but good quality and the setting is not your average kitchen table so everything looks a lot nicer. The maitre d' was accomodating about moving from bar to a table and the wine list is exorbitant, obviously. It's fun and romantic and very expensive.

Other restaurants near Scott's

You are requesting to book Scott's for people on at .