SquareMeal Review of Roast

“What’s not to like about ‘meat and vegetables’?” quips an admirer of Roast – a determinedly patriotic eatery dedicated to the glories of traditional British cuisine. Built on a mezzanine floor in Borough Market’s iconic Floral Hall, it promises “fantastic views” from its handsome, light-filled dining room. We’ve been many times for breakfast and never been disappointed, although booking ahead is essential. If you’re more interested in lunch or dinner, you’ll find “reliable” and expertly sourced dishes prepared with a fair degree of dexterity, from Portland crab salad or Scotch eggs with piccalilli to braised ox cheek on creamed onion sauce or whole grilled sea bass with fennel and capers. The menus are keenly seasonal, so also expect spring lamb, summer fruits and game too (“this is the only place to eat grouse after the Glorious 12th”, insists one fan). “Always enjoyable” Sunday roasts naturally get the nod, and the Brit-accented drinks list is also on the money.

British

Afternoon tea £30.00 per person with a glass of Champagne

From: 30 April, 2019
To: 31 May, 2020
Max: 10
Credit card details are required to secure Afternoon tea reservations. Should you wish to cancel your reservation please inform us 24 hours prior to your reservation or a late cancellation/ no show charge of £20 per person will apply.

Afternoon tea £25 per person

Sat 17:30-22:30
Sun Closed

Reviews of Roast

Ms/Mrs. Graham J

why don't i visit more often!?
26 July 2016
Roast is one of only a few restaurants in London that always makes me think the same thought; why don't I visit more often? The staff are always friendly, the cooking is reliable. yesterday was hot, but they turned up the a/c and everything was fine. My guest was nearly one hour late arriving, but we never felt hurried. I really must remember to visit more frequently!

Mr. nuno D

lunch at the roast
14 October 2015
On Monday I have decided to visit the roast once again. Myself and a work colleague decided to choose the roast as I remember having dinner there 3 years ago and on that occasion we had a fantastic meal in an amazing atmosphere. This time we decided to order from the set menu, but we still enjoyed a lot our lunch. We arrived around 2 PM without reservation but the host was very helpful and got us a nice table within 3 minutes.. On the set menu we were slightly confused as it shows the daily specials but that is not part of the set menu. Our waiter was a nice young man, I presume Italian as he seems to be a Roma supporter :) Hopefully I will return soon but for dinner. Thank you for looking after your customers Regards Nuno da Silva

Ms/Mrs. Kate P

Great for business meetings
20 May 2015
Food is a bit expensive but find it a quiet enough place for business meetings.

Ms/Mrs. Patricia F

18 August 2014
Roast turned out to be a small disappointment as I was expecting to be wowed following some of the reviews I had heard / read. When we arrived, the reception couldn't find my booking for 11am brunch… Once it was finally found, I was told that I had booked for 12noon (which I hadn't after checking the booking on squaremeal.com). Then we were told that they did not take booking before 12noon, so why was it available on the website I wonder…?? The service was a bit of a hit and miss. We were offered coffee before we ordered and nothing else afterwards until my dried throat manage to give a call for help halfway through brunch and we were finally offered another drink. I don't usually liked the waiters behind me all the time but this time I did not see them enough! However, I can't fault the quality of the ingredients, very nice. I guess I might give the restaurant another go but not just yet…

Ms/Mrs. JUSTIN R

07 August 2014
Went with a Japanese client for dinner last night – 5 of us. Loved the airy room and view over the market. Early on when the place was full it was particularly noisy, this is just an acoustic issue I think with the atrium style of the room, but as the evening went on it quietened. The vibe was good, buzzy, light feeling…the menu was really interesting. One of those where you struggle to choose a dish as there are so many that appeal. Some ingredients that were new to me, mainly organic/local…I had a cuttle fish salad in ink to start which was yummy – plenty of chilis to add zing. For the main a cushion of lamb was wonderfully tender and came with some fluffy girolles. As a group we covered many dishes and everyone was impressed at the freshness and taste… Desert was a delight – vanilla parfait on a brownie base, almost like a little cake, was fabulous – Eton Mess a popular choice, crumble great and very fruity if not quite sweet enough on the crumble side. All in all a good night out – not cheap given not a lot of drinking – we had 4 beers, one bottle of Vouvray (£40) and one glass of desert wine – total £370. But would go again for sure.

Mr. Ayo H

10 July 2014
Crossed the river especially to try Roast again and was very glad that we did. Plenty of choice between the set menu, daily specials and the a la carte. Great section of biodynamic wines. Quality produce skilfully prepared. Some inspired touches (preserved lemon coarsely grated into pea & mint soup) and impeccable classics (a peerless bearnaise with really tangy tarragon.) Above all the table service was perfect – efficient and almost invisible. No irritating over-filling of your glass here. Why do so few London restaurants (at any price) achieve the same virtues?

Ms/Mrs. Vanessa J

03 June 2014
Such a lovely place to go on a Sunday. For £35 the Sunday Roast is value for money with a good selection of meats. While we were dinning there was a lady singing some real classic songs whilst playing instruments. Another group also played while we were there. Music wasn't too loud so you were able to have a converstion with people at the table. Overall a good experience would return for their breakfast

Ms/Mrs. Rachel W

03 June 2014
Don't get me wrong; the food was great. Unfortunately our evening was ruined at the coffee stage. Two Irish coffees and a latte were stone cold, when this was pointed out to our waiter, he offered to take them off the bill, not replace them with hot coffee, but merely take them off the bill! The two replacement Irish coffees came to the table without the key ingredient – whisky. The waiter disputed our claim, so we asked for the manager. What an attitude. He didn't go as far as calling my friends liars, but he would not accept the lack of whisky and claimed he had watched them being made. What nonsense, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that for the greater good, the customer is sometimes right. It is such as shame as I have been to Roast several times before and always enjoyed it. I shan't go again, and I would suggest avoiding this restaurant.

Mr. Mike B

09 May 2014
Hmmmm… I have been to Roast many times – for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If I’m looking for a City South venue it’s always a default option with a good chance of a table, above average food, and prompt service catering for the City chaps on a schedule. I went for dinner with a couple of old friends and it was distinctly…average. Given its location in the Borough Food Market the menu was rightly seasonal and went with a starter of asparagus and soft-boiled duck egg. Yes it was fine but it was an egg and asparagus. Nothing could really go wrong with it and nothing did – tasty, simple and, well…average. Main course was a brisket of salt beef. I always think the brisket is a challenging cut for a restaurant. It’s can be tough and often a little dry and lacking in flavour – I guess maybe due to it being lean and lacking in fat content. Makes me wonder now why I went for it but I like salt beef and wanted to depart from the ribeye my two friends had. The ribeye by the way was delicious. I should have played safe and gone mainstream. The brisket was cooked fine, a good flavour but in parts it was a little chewy. On balance it was…yes…average. Still had room for a pecan and date sponge pudding…it was pleasant but didn’t exactly excite the taste buds. It was…again…average. But it’s not Roast that’s changed… others have. Standards and expectations have risen…whilst Roast has stood still. It needs to move forward again just to keep up.

28 March 2014
If U love your Sunday Roast then this is the place to go. I had Roast Belly of Pork with apple sauce and mash with sides of veg. Pork had a lovely thick crackling & the steamed Ginger pudding was to die for.

Other restaurants near Roast

You are requesting to book Roast for people on at .