Arthur Hooper's

Modern European

SquareMeal Review of Arthur Hooper's

You’ll find the stylish and rather romantic Arthur Hooper’s right by Borough Market staples The Wheatsheaf and El Pastor. Slicker than its neighbours, this is an intimate space featuring black interiors and effortlessly cool staff. This isn’t a case of style over substance, though, with the kitchen turning out a steady stream of simple, well-executed European small plates: herb-flecked lamb and bulgur meatballs come topped with a dollop of natural yoghurt, creamy burrata is given extra edge by crunchy almonds, peppers come dipped in sea-salt crystals, while sautéed rosemary new potatoes are golden, crispy and devilishly moreish. Heartier options include a comforting helping of silky pappardelle topped with tender slow-cooked beef and a sprinkle of breadcrumbs, while elsewhere there’s flaky roasted cod pepped up via a mustard velouté. A diverse wine list changes regularly and is served by the glass, while a short dessert menu features a truly indulgent chocolate hazelnut pot, served with salted caramel biscuits for dipping. Unlike some Borough hotspots, you can book a table here, so you’re at least guaranteed a seat.

Good to know about Arthur Hooper's

Modern European
Buzzy
Dates

Location for Arthur Hooper's

8 Stoney Street, London, SE1 9AA

Opening Times of Arthur Hooper's

Mon-Sun 11am-11pm (Sun -5pm)

Reviews of Arthur Hooper's

David H

Sorry-I didn't enjoy anything I ate here.
02 February 2019

I'm never excited by the thought of eating around London Bridge/Borough because all the places I've tried have managed to persuade me that they're there for one-off tourist visits so they don't have to worry themselves about the food.  Today I needed a restaurant near the Tate Modern  for a visit with my daughter.  Together we chose this one.

It was actually wrong from the minute we walked in - the picture on the website is very selective and the reality is far more rustic and low-tariff than we expected.  And pretty cramped- getting in & out of your seat when the other tables round you are occuppied isn't easy.  We ordered 4 small plates to act as a starter , telling the waiter that we'd order more once we'd worked out their small plate sizes.  First disappointment-they didn't have the boquerones. The waiter suggested that we should maybe order everything right away because they expected to be busy, but we demurred.  We settled for harissa butter beans that were served stone cold from a fridge, a fennel salami that didn't taste much of fennel, some rosemary potatoes that weren't cooked enough & certainly weren't crispy, and some mackerel pate with sourdough that was OK.  At this point they lost my daughter who had no interest in ordering more food of that quality, and it was dawning on us that we understood why the waiter wanted us to order everything at once.  Hungry, I did get small plates of an onglet with cavallero nero where the meat was very chewy, and some ok Pappardelle and duck ragu that they spoil by sprinkling some orange flavoured stuff over it.

All told a poor meal I'm afraid. I shan't go back, and I'm still looking for somewhere to eat around Borough that behaves like it cares whether customers go back or not.  Value is poor because there's no such thing as a right price for poor quality food.  Service was decent.

Other restaurants near Arthur Hooper's

You are requesting to book Arthur Hooper's for people on at .