Randall & Aubin

Fish

About Randall & Aubin

Established in 1996, Brewer Street’s seafood mainstay is classic Soho: cool, relaxed, a tad cramped and buzzing with life. A disco ball and party music add some fun to the otherwise “quirky” mix of white marble counters, black-leather stools and gleaming tiled walls, while tight counter seats mean style wins over comfort. Seafood fans will appreciate the overflowing displays of shellfish on ice, while the partially open kitchen spins out a varied choice, from “amazing-value” fruits de mer and prawn cocktails to beef carpaccio and veal schnitzel. There’s also a dedicated oyster menu, supported by Randall & Aubin Champagne by the glass. Prices seem slightly inflated and we recommend avoiding the deep-fried options, but quality and presentation are impressive – as are the luscious desserts. Service is swift and slick, but don’t miss the effusive notes on the well-chosen wine list. With Randall & Aubin Manchester now up and running, this outfit’s future looks bright.

Good to know about Randall & Aubin

Best fish + seafood restaurants in London

Location for Randall & Aubin

16 Brewer Street, London, W1F 0SQ

Opening Times of Randall & Aubin

Mon-Sun 12N-11pm (Sun -10pm)

Reviews of Randall & Aubin

15 May 2015

Randall and Aubin provided a wonderfully boisterous oasis on an otherwise damp, dark and gloomy Thursday evening. It's a restaurant that I have been to quite a few times times before, but last year seemed to have gone off the boil somewhat. Last night reminded me of it's charm, elegance and why it is wonderful. Along with warm and friendly but not intrusive service, the dining room has always charmed me. The tiled walls and high seats add to the chitter chatter noise that rises past the electric music. Laughter rings out as the Soho regulars seem happy with their lot. And why wouldn't you be happy? My partner and I enjoyed a wonderful plate of grilled scallops with pancetta, and crab cakes to start (approx. £9 each). For mains a very nice sea bass and a chargrilled squid which was slightly smokey and beautiful (£18/21) followed by a couple of decadent little deserts. All this was washed down with a lovely Viognier (£29) from a decent and cheery wine list. It is not a cheap mid week supper, but Randall and Aubin appears to back at the top of its game. It is just a really lovely place to be, and I will not be waiting so long before another trip back.

02 May 2014

Randall & Aubin is not what I expect at all: I was thinking elegant oyster bar and Ooh La La but it's more toilet conversion chic and Po Na Na. I guess a slightly grubby clubby feel suits its Soho location better. I managed to book for a Sunday lunchtime which was neither difficult, despite the supposed no booking rule, nor necessary, as it was half empty with everyone else enthusiastically watching the marathon. Service is a bit patchy: our waiter is solicitous, bordering on flirty (fine by me), but when he's not around the others seem unwilling to pitch in and I have to wave like a drowning puppy to get my first glass of wine whilst waiting for my friend. It's not the most comfortable place to sit in either: our knees knock against the counter where we are seated or, in the case of my long legged friend, “perched” and even my short legs feel like they're squashed into an economy seat on a no frills flight to a not-quite-short-haul-enough destination. Still, 3 large glasses of Albarino and one sighting of Millie Mackintosh from MIC aka Mrs Professor Green (people-watching one advantage of the uncomfortable bar stools by the large street-facing windows) seem to take the edge off. The wine list is great and would be reason enough to swing in with a long list of interesting, but not intimidating, options most of which are offered by the glass. The menu looks like, and is priced like, a good old fashioned fishy bistro. We had a juicy dressed crab and a flavoursome but rather oily, messy plate of prawns which I happily pulled apart but wouldn't be suitable for anyone in a white shirt followed by 2 slightly disappointing desserts (lemon tart being more cheesecake-like than the cheesecake itself) but the crispy, salty fries and liberal supply of bread may well have been highlights of the meal. So it isn't going to be my new go-to classic or delicious dive (our bill was £60 a head, admittedly half of which was booze) but I wouldn't avoid it either.

20 September 2012

Two of us walked in on a busy night, we were accommodated immediately. The service was excellent, crisp and friendly without being intruding. The food was outstanding- pan fried scallops were delicious and a sea bass with vegetables. A bottle of Chilean Tierra Antica was a reasonable £21 and very good value for money. The patrons were young and attractive, dancing under the disco ball. My only complaint is the music was too loud and sometimes made conversation difficult. Other than that, we will be back soon.

03 March 2012

Disappointing experience, the maitre'd was rude, arrogant and generally unwelcoming, making it obvious he hoped we would not wait for a table. Our oysters were bitter and unexceptional, my boyfriend's Halibut was very good however my Turbot was swimming in oil and the gratin potato & leek, soggy and oily. Whilst I was hoping for a lively atmosphere and not a romantic meal, I found that we were shouting at each other to be heard. Our meal was redeemed somewhat by a charming waiter who provided friendly and efficient service. My experience before Christmas with a friend couldn't have been more different, unfortunately my latest experience means I won't be coming back nor recommending this restaurant in the future.

13 June 2011

Spent a very relaxing and enjoyable afternoon drinking Randall and Aubin's own label champagne, and trying everything the Plat de Fruits de Mer had to offer. The service is unfussy but helpful. It's a restaurant where the food is the star – and how often is that the case in this day and age. We loved the the decor – you can see the place as a butcher's shop, whilst the high tables lend the restaurant its own style. The only thing you must do whilst there – try the sticky date pudding. Even if you think you can't manage another thing. Trust me, your life will be the poorer for not at least having one mouthful.

Other restaurants near Randall & Aubin