Radio Rooftop

Afternoon tea, Bars, Mediterranean·

SquareMeal Review of Radio Rooftop

Impossibly glamorous (and sometimes impossible to get into if you haven't booked) the exclusive rooftop bar at ME London piles on the wow factor with its minimalist monochrome decor and views over the City skyline. On warm days, the prime spots are the white leather sofas by the rooftop edge: perfect for alfresco posing. House cocktails run from the Mexican (a refreshing blend of El Jimador Tequila, cucumber, mint and agave) to South Pacific (Leblon cachaça, kiwi, elderflower and apple juice), while the Champagne list is reassuringly extensive (and expensive), with bottles of Bolly for £100 and jeroboams of Cristal 1999 weighing in at a cool £5,000. Meanwhile, aficionados can pair Cognac or whisky with a Montecristo No.4 from the cigar menu. Daytime eats include risottos, salads and burgers, with dainty tapas on offer when the lights go down.

Afternoon tea, Bars, Mediterranean
Cool, Fun, Glamorous, Lively, Unique
All day dining, Bottomless brunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Late night dining, Lunch, Sunday roast
Great views, Outside seating, Rooftop
Vegetarian options, Wheelchair access
Celebrations, Dates, Group dining [8+], Romantic, Special occasions

About Radio Rooftop

Rooftop bars in London might not be as rare as they once were, but the popularity of Covent Garden’s Radio Rooftop shows no sign of waning.

Found on the 10th floor of the ME London hotel, Radio Rooftop boasts enviable views of London’s skyline and across the River Thames, as well as taking in iconic landmarks such as the London Eye and Big Ben. We’d always recommend booking in advance here too, as it can sometimes be nigh on impossible to secure a table, especially on sunnier days.

While many rooftop spaces rely on the twinkling seduction of London’s night-time skyline to draw people in, Radio Rooftop is actually open from breakfast. Stop by from 7am to start your day with the virtuous likes of smashed avocado on sourdough toast, or treat yourself with something a little more indulgent – perhaps buttermilk waffles topped with chopped banana, maple syrup and whipped cream.

Later in the day, the menu evolves into a series of sharing boards, small plates and larger dishes which all have a touch of Mediterranean inspiration. You can begin with snacks such as crispy calamari with red pepper marmalade or sweet potato and Manchego croquettes dipped in smoked paprika aioli, while mains see ribeye steak served alongside Parmesan-topped chip, as well as pan-fried seabass paired with pumpkin, spinach and chickpeas.

When it comes to desserts, indulgence is the order of the day. Pick from tempting puddings such as churros served with pots of chocolate sauce, a coconut and vanilla rice pudding, or chocolate ice cream sprinkled with a chocolate crumble. If you are more partial to liquid desserts, there is always the option to choose from Radio Rooftop’s vast wine list, which features a range of European leaning bottles. There’s Champagne too, by the glass or bottle, if you’re looking to celebrate.

Location

03 June 2022   - Verified Diner
Food & Drink 1
Atmosphere 3
Value 1
Don’t bother, get a far better dining experience somewhere else.

Massively over rated. The service was non-existent, prices were very expensive, even making allowances for the setting.

01 June 2022
Food & Drink 0.5
Service 0.5
Atmosphere 0.5
Value 0.5
UNTRAINED STAFF & LACK OF RESPECT TOWARDS CUSTOMERS!

DO NOT GO!!!
UNTRAINED STAFF & LACK OF RESPECT TOWARDS CUSTOMERS!
BY FAR THE WORST ROOFTOP IN LONDON!

Firstly, they messed up my reservation. The table that I had initially booked was given to someone else. The waitress walked me through the whole restaurant 2 times before she realised my table was given to someone else!!!!

Background story: My reservation was on Saturday and on Thursday I was having lunch at the restaurant and the floor manager asked me where I would like my table to be on Saturday and she confirmed a table. However, to my surprise, when I arrived to the restaurant, I was told by the other floor manager to wait for my table to be ready, waited for 10 minutes then she told me that they overbooked the venue and they can only sit me at a completely different table than the one I booked (which could not accommodate 10 people as in my reservation)

Then she asked the same waitress to walk me to that table, and I was walked into an area where people were already sat at the table (she was incredibly confused and had no idea about tables / reservations - as a respected restaurant you should train your staff before allowing them to front face clients!) That of course was not the table that the floor manager guided me to.

None to say my reservation was at 9.00PM and at 9.25PM I was still not sited because they had no idea where to sit me since they overbooked the venue. My reservation was made 4 weeks in advance and confirmed on Thursday!

It is absolutely astonishing to me how disrespectful and untrained staff this venue has. DO NOT SPEND YOU MONEY IN HERE!!!!!
Absolutely refusing to even go in this place again. Don't even bother make a reservation - because turns our they don't care at all and you'll end up not having a table anyways.

17 May 2022
Food & Drink 2.5
Atmosphere 1
Value 0.5
Shocking service for a business lunch! Everything feels like an effort for these staff! Will NOT visit again!!

We visited on a sunny Tuesday lunchtime with some clients as a celebration lunch hoping to enjoy the sunshine on the rooftop. When we booking there was no option online to select drinks or food. We arrived and was given a table with sofas suitable for drinks but not for eating. We were told the only way we could eat was if we sat inside. I pointed out that this wasn’t indicated on the website and also there were 2 large empty tables in the sunshine which could seat our table of 6. The lady said those tables were reserved but she would find out from what time and get back to us.

20 minutes passed without us being served as much as a glass of water. Still waiting for the lady to return to us. She tended to other tables around us and simply ignored us.

Our clients arrived and I went back to the reception desk and asked if there was any luck with the other tables and she replied she “was busy with other guests”. We eventually got a table which we were told we could have until 4pm. We arrived at 1pm it was now 1.30pm.

After being seated it took a good 15 minutes to get a glass of water. And then eventually some wine. There were 2 menus on the table (between 6 of us) and we asked for a couple more which felt like a huge effort for the staff. We eventually ordered food and I cannot fault the kitchen staff as the food was lovely. The only complaint was that my client has a gluten allergy so ordered the seabass, which the menu lists as a gluten free option, to be told it couldn’t be made gluten free?!

After spending a lot of money for lunch and wine for 6 people, and being told we had until 4pm for the table.. it approached 3.30pm and we were told we had 5 minutes to finish up. The most service we have had the entire visit was the staff arranging payment of our bill and trying to get rid of us. One of the waitresses pretty much grabbed my colleagues glass of her to tell her we need to leave.

The service was shocking. When we go to a place like Radio rooftop we are happy to spend money but also expect a level of service. It felt like everything we asked for was an effort for the staff here and no one was switched on ready to help.

I would NOT recommend. This was our first visit and certainly will not be returning!

Andy H

Food & Drink 0.5
Service 0.5
Atmosphere 0.5
Value 0.5
Not a nice place to go - there are much better places in London!

I’ve been to quite a few rooftop bars in London and this isn’t one that I would recommend to anyone - there are much better places to go that don’t look down on people and think they are more than they are. We arrived to celebrate my friends last day in London, dressed nicely - we wanted to give them a proper send off. I had enquired beforehand about getting a table with a view. We were told we were given an outside table yet when we got there we were inside, next to a curtain. Clearly they had profiled us when we walked in and decided we weren’t worth the effort. When we asked to move we were told no as there were no tables allowed with a view but there were some outside that were never occupied for the 45 minutes we stayed (we didn’t even stay the whole time because the experience was awful). Service took a while for four basic drinks (beer and wine) and VAT wasn’t included in the prices, which is just misleading and doesn’t make much sense. When we were calculating splitting the bill, the server got cross with us and it was obvious that he just wanted us to leave.

27 August 2021   - Verified Diner
Food & Drink 1.5
Service 2.5
Atmosphere 2.5
Value 1
DISAPPOINTED

Overpriced drinks!  Our bill for 3 Pimms and 1 Tonic water was £64!!!  After checking the menu when I got home, the Pimms is listed as £11 each and Tonic is listed at £3 each.
Will never return to be ripped off!,

13 May 2021   - Verified Diner
Food & Drink 3
Service 4
Atmosphere 2
Value 2
Lovely views, furniture seems abit dated

Lovely place to visit and have food and drinks, staff are always so helpful and friendly can not complain..

I think the carpet and furniture seems abit dated and could do with being replaced but other than that lovely atmosphere and amazing views..

Charlotte H

30 April 2019
Ridiculously expensive for what it is. Ambience is very stuck up.

Rebecca L

16 July 2014
Food & Drink 3
Service 3
Atmosphere 5
Value 4
Radio is a hard one to review from my perspective because whatever you say about the food, drinks and service, you're partly (if not mostly), paying for the views and setting. You really won't get better views in central London and I think the decor is sublime. That said, in summary, it's a great place to go for drinks in the evening and I'd definitely now recommend it for a meal. I visited on a Wednesday afternoon at lunch time and after reading a number of reviews was nervous about the service and food. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I couldn't fault the service – the lady who greeted us was very welcoming and our waitress was excellent – she knew the menu well and was just the right level of attentive. The menu is entirely made up on tapas style dishes, both hot and cold. We ordered 3 dishes each plus bread and a non alcoholic drink each and the bill came to £60 which I thought was perfectly reasonable when you take into account the beautiful decor and views. The food was good – some tapas favourites such as chorizo in red wine and some more adventurous dishes such as pork and paprika toast. I wasn't blown away but it was perfectly tasty. I'd definitely recommend for lunch with a bit of a wow factor. I have been on a Friday and Saturday evening just for drinks and highly recommend it for excellent cocktails and gorgeous night time views with a laid back, buzzy atmosphere. I'm aware of the difficulty gaining entry if you don't have contacts within Radio or the industry. However, if you reserve an area you will have no problems.

Gabriele R

29 July 2013
Food & Drink 1
Atmosphere 1
Value 2
I always wonder when reading negative reviews where the hurt egos end and real facts start. With regards to the Radio Rooftop Bar I sadly have to agree with only 50% of the comments simply because after 2 & ½ hour queue (FACT) we were denied the view of this ‘sleek, glammed-up, ‘Sex and the City’ destination’. I have now learnt that ‘bar at full capacity’ is a better word to turn the ‘unwanted’ away – how else would you explain the door staff still letting friends and ‘fabulous people’ jumping a queue of mostly tired and yet still smiling ‘commoners’? After 1 and ½ hour wait, my friend and I were next in line to become fashionable immortals and finally join the gods sipping cocktails in this brand new Olympus of Aldwich. One more hour went by and not a sign, nor a word, or even eye contact from the tall lady at the door holding the clipboard and sharing jokes with her colleagues. She also decided that it was absolutely acceptable to turn her back to us for most of the time and leave us to wonder whether she would ever unlock the cord between us and the most pretentious entrance to a bar I have ever come across in my life. The rest of the experience you can gather from other people that have actually managed to cross that line……alas I was not one of the lucky immortals to be chosen to grace this current bastion of coolness. It is now my mission to make sure that my –dreadful- experience of the Radio Rooftop Bar ‘entrance’ is shared with everyone I know. Places like this kill the spirit of London, a city where the very diversity of its people creates the exceptional experience that is London…Do the ‘only-fabulous ghettos’ have a place in this? Perhaps they do but I don’t think I will be wasting any more of my time to experience what they think they have to offer!

Other restaurants we like near Radio Rooftop