Paul Ainsworth at No. 6

Modern European

Call Paul Ainsworth at No. 6 to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Paul Ainsworth at No. 6

“Paul Ainsworth and his team have something special here”, notes a fan of No. 6 – a restaurant that challenges Rick Stein’s dominion over Padstow. This Georgian terraced house is an endearing charmer, from its composed, elegant interior to its “delicious, inventive and beautifully presented” Michelin-starred food. The kitchen delivers wave after wave of inspired, fashionable dishes spanning everything from a smoked haddock ‘quiche Lorraine’ to ‘all the rabbit’ with grilled bread and September damsons. After that, keep things diverse with, say, local hogget, red garlic ketchup and sweetbread fricassee or the fish of the day from Cornish waters – perhaps white crab with leeks royale and ‘jack shell gravy’. The British cheeseboard is well worth investigating, while dessert could bring ewe’s milk cheesecake in puff pastry with bitter cocoa sorbet or Ainsworth’s famous reinvented ‘trifle Cornish’ flavoured with Tregothnan tea prunes and saffron. Visitors are treated to the warmest of welcomes, service is “top-notch” and the set lunch gets a big thumb-up. Those wanting a sleepover should check out the Padstow Townhouse (also owned by Ainsworth and co).

Good to know about Paul Ainsworth at No. 6

Reviews of Paul Ainsworth at No. 6

Paul A

Not our cup of tea
22 March 2019
We managed to get a few local strings pulled to get a booking at short notice, but were obliged to accept a table in an alcove slightly away from the main dining room, which had the disadvantage of being cut off from any atmosphere there might have been in the restaurant, but the advantage of a very good view of the kitchen and all the culinary activity. Before expressing any opinion on the food, we have to say that the staff did not come across well. With one exception they were anything but natural and seemed to be trained to follow a script, thus exhibiting no personality and no ability to interact with the diners. On top of this the extremely reasonably priced selections of wines by the glass that we chose were brought to the table, plonked in front of us without a word and certainly never a bottle to be seen, and in addition a couple of the wines were served in inappropriate glasses, for example a Pinot gris in a Chardonnay glass. On the positive side, there were spoons on the table which served well for finishing off sauces. The meal started off well with a delightful Porthilly oyster fritter and its smoked roe and seaweed sauce followed by a quite large first course of scallops in fines herbes with seaweed, a lovely ‘two roe’ beurre blanc and a tasty Yukon gold potato crisp. The only question we had about this dish was: does nobody worry about food miles any more? The scallops were from the Orkneys, the restaurant is in Cornwall! We chose different mains - my wife had a generous portion of decent chicken Rossini with excellent roasting juices and a good brioche, while I went for local hogget pudding, which was disappointing, largely because although the lamb itself was very good and the sweetbread fricassée brilliant, the whole thing was let down by the undercooked, claggy suet covering on the meat, and again there was possibly too much on the plate, certainly sufficient to prevent us making any real inroads into the massive broccoli and truffle sides. After a brief pause we decided we would have a dessert, a chocolate ‘turnover’ matched well by a nice ginger yogurt sorbet and brandy plums. To finish off we decided that, because of the portion sizes and the puzzling price, we would share one plate of petit fours. All in all this was the most traditional and the least impressive Michelin star meal of our three day trip to the West Country.

Ms/Mrs. Emma B

03 February 2013
This was our third visit to No. 6 and as with the 2 previous occassions it was excellent. The food was fabulous and the service just right. Dear No. 6 – please can you update the menu so we can justify another visit!

Mr. Jon B

17 September 2011
Been on holiday to Cornwall. Took mum & dad. Fancied a nice lunch. Went to Padstow. 9th September 2011. Reports had been read and viewing of menus and prices at a certain number of Mr R Steins' establishments didn't really enthuse us. But Paul Ainsworth at Number 6 seemed like a good choice. If you watched the 2011 Great British Menu, well he was the one who did the “trip to the fairground” dessert. (here it is £21 for two people – and about half a dozen of them came out whilst we were there) So as Yorkshirefolk who appreciate “value for money” the three of us all had the Express set lunch menu (£17 for 3 courses). We chose drinks, all were £4.50 though other choices at other prices were available, or matched to the menu for another £18 each! mum a glass of white wine, villa rosa sauvignon blanc, chile. dad a bottle of Korev Cornish Lager. and a bottle of Doom Bar for me. We also had a chilled bottle of tap water (no charge) on the table. Home made breadrolls arrived (2 each in a basket) and some butter (could have done with more – didn't ask for any though!) The starter came. Salmon tataki, pickled cucumber, soy. This was very lightly smoked & seared salmon, and also included a little ginger, sesame seeds and micro salad garnishing. Although it looks quite a light dish, it was a good amount. Very tasty and fresh. I'm not a cucumber fan but this was nice. For the main, free range roast chicken, potato, creamed mushrooms. This also had buttered spinach with it. The flavours here were superb. The rich intense gravy/jus against the creamy mushrooms and smooth mash. The chicken was very good too. I did detect a hint of grit in my spinach but it didn't stop me clearing the plate. For dessert, deconstructed orange cheesecake, marmalade, white chocolate crumble. As it says really. The flavour balance was good, the marmalade tangy, the cheesecake “quenelle” rich and creamy, with real vanilla in it, the crumble “crumbly” and crisp. The service was polite and friendly, not rushed or overly lagging either. Overall excellent value for money, a very tasty and balanced meal (compare what you spend for Sunday lunch at your local!) and I would definitley go again. One minor grumble, it was a humid day, and the cold beers and cold water bottles had condensation running off them onto the table, which dripped off whe you raised your glass. Coasters needed I think. We did ring a few days before hand to book a table and recommend this course of action, as our first choice of day was full, so we just re-arranged our plans, the joys of being on holiday when you can do this. At time of writing, one week after our visit, the lunch menu had changed to… EXPRESS LUNCH MENU beetroot carpaccio, chicory, crispy parma ham, parmesan. planeta rose, sciliy ox tongue, purple sprouting, polenta chips, rosemary and anchovy. wildflower valdigue, california apple and raspberry frangipane tart, chateau belingard monbazillac, france 2 courses for £13 ~ 3 courses for £17 ~ 3 courses and wine flight £35

Ms/Mrs. Joanne A

28 September 2009
What a wonderful lunch we enjoyed here. I had the poached chicken which came with croquet potatoes and spinach, the chicken had been poached to perfection and unbelievebly as it was on the special £5 per course lunch menu that's all I paid!!! amazing. My husband and friends all ate off the main menu which included sea bass and a beautifuly presented pork belly with scratching. Every bit as good as the famous sea food restaurant we ate in the night before so on our next visit to wonderful Padstow we will be trying it out for dinner.

Ms/Mrs. Carol M

13 July 2009
After visiting Padstow for girlie gourmet and dining at the shrine of “you know who”, we decided also to visit the training establishment of the young Jamie in Watergate. Both very good (obviously!) but neither had the refinement of yer man Paul Ainsworth. Classy, smooth, tasty – and that was just the waiter! Everything we ordered was a picture on a plate (well, a slate actually). I ordered the duck parfait, the belly pork and the coffee brulee. I was scared to eat the first two courses in case I didn't leave enough room for dessert but common sense prevailed and I wisely undid the button and zip on my trousers to accommodate the overload. I would have gladly sent out for a larger size rather than miss one mouthful – sheer bliss. As it was essentially a birthday celebration we had secreted a fairly plain cake into the kitchen. When it arrived at the end of the meal it looked like an illustration for a sugar craft book. A work of art with soft fruit and chocolate layered and drizzled on the top. At the end of the meal I was kindly introduced to the head chef, although I understand Mr. Ainsworth works in the kitchen himself. The space is so tiny I don't know how they get two chefs in let alone produce the dishes they do. I don't know how they do it but I am certainly very glad they do. I wish Mr. Ainsworth would buy the empty pub at the end of our road. If I could afford it I would buy it for him, just so I could eat there as often as I liked without having a 5 hour drive both there and back. My Visa card may well develop IBS after the weekend spend but it has been well worth it – alhough in view of what we had paid before we ate at No. 6, our bill there was extremely modest. Well done Mr. Ainsworth and his wonderful staff. Carol Marsh, West Midlands

Ms/Mrs. Judith K

06 July 2009
Whilst holidaying in Padstow last week and having dined in Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant, we decided to try Number 6 and what a treat it was! It was as you would expect from a top London restaurant (a number of which I have had the pleasure to dine in, including Petrus) and this was no exception. Friendly service (nothing was too much trouble) a truely superb meal and the price about right. It was certainly well worth a visit. I thoroughly recommend this restaurant and if we return to Padstow Number 6 will be on the top of our list. We were seated in the ‘Library’ for our lunch, which was quite small as there were 5 adults, one toddler and the latest addition in a pushchair. We started with the No. 6 cocktail (just had to be done!), prawn starter and the rump steak and chips for main, followed by the espresso dessert. Everything was wonderfully cooked and flavoursome. 06.07.2009

Other restaurants near Paul Ainsworth at No. 6