Nobu London at the COMO Metropolitan London

Japanese

SquareMeal Review of Nobu London at the COMO Metropolitan London

It's "still an all-time favourite", but the late 90s origins of Nobu Matsuhisa's first European outing have given it a time-capsule quality. It's a lovely bubble to be in though, with Hyde Park views through full-height windows and calming wood and stone all around. If the pale walls could talk, they might tell eyebrow-raising tales from a livelier past; that duty now falls to the party-hard Berkeley Street outpost. Here, it's clear to see what all the fuss was (and is) about: the fusion style hits umami squarely in the face. You can't go wrong with langoustines and red chilli shiso salsa, sashimi salad with Matsuhisa dressing, fiery Peruvian anticucho skewers and, of course, the emblematic black cod with miso – served on butter lettuce for that contemporary kick of clean-eating satisfaction. However, cocktails, saké and a wine list priced for big budgets will undo all that good work in an instant.

Good to know about Nobu London at the COMO Metropolitan London

Japanese
Glamorous
Child friendly, Group dining [8+]

Location for Nobu London at the COMO Metropolitan London

COMO Metropolitan London, 19 Old Park Lane, London, W1K 1LB

Opening Times of Nobu London at the COMO Metropolitan London

Mon-Fri 12N–2.30pm 6-10.30pm (Thurs-Fri -11pm) Sat-Sun 12.30–2.30pm 6-11pm (Sun -10pm)

Reviews of Nobu London at the COMO Metropolitan London

Mr. Stuart C

21 April 2014
So, here we are at Nobu – the original of the Asian fusion restaurants but is it the best ? I would have to say no. The food is still as good as any competitors with yellowtail sashimi with jalapenos and blackened cod a must but the atmosphere seems have fallen off a tad. I have been going there for so many years, perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me but the service seemed a little surly on our last visit which was disappointing. If you have a table overlooking Hyde Park, it helps but if you're in the middle of the restaurant, then you could be, well, in the middle of any restaurant. I still prefer it to Nobu Berkeley though where I am afraid too many diners go just to be seen, which isn't my modus operandi for eating out. I'd say try Nobu, Zuma and Roka and decide for yourself as they are all very good.

Mr. Patrick B

Classic
02 May 2013
It's funny to think with Nobu at the Metropolitan – the original London branch, if I may add – that this is really where the whole pan-Asian dining revolution started. Also I remember conversations about price, and how extremely expensive Nobu on Park Lane was. However, the price point has been consistently pushed higher by all kinds of contenders and I was positively surprised by the overall fairness of the price tag. The classic dishes still perform very strongly. I think it is more timelessly stylish than its over-the-top sibling a few streets accross too!

Mr. Tim Z

28 January 2013
While the food offering doesn't really differ from the other nobu outposts, the atmosphere of this place (which was the very first one in London and top of its game at the time) now feels somewhat underwhelming. The food quality is still up there (as is the price tag) but it no longer has the whow-factor it used to have. Nobu berkeley street offers you a bit more of that these days

Mr. Nicolas W

10 December 2012
So much better than the Berkeley Street outpost. Still one of the better modern Japanese offerings in London. The service however was not on par with the food, most waiters were charmless and none of the dishes were explained.

Mr. Paul B

17 April 2012
I've been here three times recently (not out of choice – not mine, anyway, after the first time) – once for dinner and twice for lunch. I had great expectations, as I'm sure many people do who visit for the first time. If you too have great expectations, and think you're in for one of the finest Japanese food experiences in the world/ the UK/ London/ that little bit of Mayfair, then please don't go. If you don't care about the food, and you want either an evening spent with raucous 20-somethings and 60-something hedge-fund guys with their 30-something secretaries/ nieces/ god-daughters, or a quiet lunch surrounded by disappointed tourists (especially the Japanese ones), then do go. The food is not bad, but it's not great. The sushi is average. The service is pretty good. The atmosphere is either too much or too little, depending on timing, and it's very canteen-ish. It needs ripping down and starting again. Go here if you're craving Japanese food and you don't have time to go anywhere else. But Zuma is just down the road (not a recommendation) and Roka isn't far (a recommendation). PS don't go if you're really hungry

Ms/Mrs. Jacqueline R

23 July 2011
The very slightly posher version of the sister restaurant on Berkeley Street, this Nobu is slightly more grown up, slightly more ‘civilised’ and as a result can lack a little when it comes to atmosphere. However, if you're taking someone as a treat, this is definitely the Nobu to go to. The same would apply for business diners – the restaurant just feels slightly posher. It's the same Nobu menu nontheless – dishes to try include the gorgeous yellowtail and jalapeno sashimi, the rock shrimp in creamy garlic sauce, the blackened cod, the wagyu beef – it's all going to be moreish and delicious. I'm particularly addicted to pickled ginger and the garlic sauce, and the staff often bring me a separate bowl – they pay attention to what's happening on your table. It can be quite a fast service though, so if you want to spend more time, I'd recommend you order a few dishes at a time, and ask the waiter to come back to you in a minute.

Mr. Rafael D

17 September 2010
The one in Berkley square has a better athmosphere. The Nobu is one of teh greatest restaurants in teh world, specially if you consider the quality and standards. I went to both in NYC and London, can tell you that I had a great food and service. If you want to make sure is a pefect evening go there.

Mr. Guilherme B

02 June 2010
I was invited to lunch here by a person I've known for some years and who I now regard as a friend and a person whose creativity, optimism and joie de vivre I admire. These are qualities which this branch of Nobu also reflects, I think. First the slight criticisms: the serving staff kept shouting in loud voices something which I thought must have been an institutionalised ralying cry – it was disruptive. Second, although a guest, this place IS expensive even if the high-quality ingredients and the sourcing dictate that this should be so. For the first time ever in my experience, the place was only half-full as well (is there a patern emerging here ? ). Now the strengths: wonderful, wonderful food – have not had better even in California where Japanese food has been taken to new levels (confession: I've not been to Japan yet). Great, informed, helpful service by people who seem genuinely interested in the food they serve and that the customers should have a positive experience. It was a sunny day, I had great company, discussed future plans and aspirations (in spite of the times we live in), had a wonderful dining experience, enjoyed the chablis my host chose (in glasses, it being lunchtime) and emerged feeling that the world is not such a bad place after all. Clearly the company had a lot to do with this, but I think that Nobu played its part as well. All the dishes we had were fresh, zingy, a joy to eat. If you go there, take advice from your server and go with the flow. Remember to check your bank balance first.

Mr. paul S

14 April 2010
This is where i discovered Japanese food by my wife, by god it was yummy, but over the years i feel it has got sloppy. Eating there is like being on a conveyor belt, my wife and i ordered a selection of sushi and cooked food and within 30 minutes we where done!! obviuosly they needed the table back. the fact that you can get a table the same day you call tells you other people dont think its that great, call zuma on the same day and they will probably say call back in 3 weeks!! a tad dissaponting.

Mr. Tristan R

21 August 2009
I have eaten at Nobu 5 times in the past 12 months, and am always impressed. The food is cooked to perfection, although with my limited knowledge of Japanese food I found myself guessing to start off with. I'd particularly recommend the Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapenos, the Beef Tenderloin Tataki and the Dover Sole with Red Chili, all are absolutely amazing dishes. Occasionally I find dishes I'm not struck on but they too are prepared and served perfectly, it's just me being fussy. There is a wide and varied wine list, and the service is almost always brilliant, though once we were served by someone who seemed new, who clearly had a few things to learn. The decor is slightly bland , although perfectly nice, and the views of Hyde Park are lovely. While it can be quite expensive, the food is quality and comes close to warranting its high price, but isn't quite there. Overall, it's a fantastic place and I'll certainly be returning as many times as my bank balance allows.

Other restaurants near Nobu London at the COMO Metropolitan London

You are requesting to book Nobu London at the COMO Metropolitan London for people on at