Japanese

Nanban

Call Nanban to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Nanban

“The waiting is over!” proclaims one reader: after protracted delays, MasterChef winner Tim Anderson has finally launched his homage to the nanban tradition of Euro-influenced Japanese cuisine, using ingredients from Brixton Market. A one-page menu offers crowd-pleasing curries and burgers alongside ramen and gyoza. Our salad of steamed cavolo nero with crunchy garlic chips drenched in ponzu butter was a revelation, and Anderson’s take on horumon-yaki (twice-cooked pig’s tripe in a spicy miso sauce with perky vegetables) is a masterpiece, but we’d also suggest deep-fried ‘electric eel’ and mentaiko pasta – an on-trend Italian/Japanese fusion riff involving spaghetti in chilli-cured cod-roe sauce, topped with a slow-cooked onsen egg. Service is helpful, and the thoughtful drinks list includes saké, shochu and small-batch craft beers. Our only gripe concerns the rather spartan first-floor dining room – try to bag the prime window seat on the cosier ground floor.

Japanese

Reviews of Nanban

Ms/Mrs. Rebecca L

The best Japanese food in London
14 November 2017
Brixton isn’t short of excellent eateries but Nanban has to be a highlight. Their ramen is fantastic and a fried chicken starter the ultimate comfort food. The inside isn’t much to write home about. It’s a bit cramped. I’ve not always had the best service here either. One male waiter was very rude when we questioned the service charge (it was incorrect…) but don’t let that put you off. The food is moreish, delicious and according to my friend who’s visited Japan, the most authentic Japanese food in London.

The waiting is over!
11 October 2015
I have been following Tim Anderson since the 2011 edition of Masterchef. I visited a couple of his pop ups in London and couldn't wait for his restaurant to open! I managed to get to Nanban Brixton on Thursday and I absolutely loved it. I was with a friend and we decided to get few things to share.. I think any fan of ramen should try the Dead Ringer Chanpon! Other things I would suggest are the Electric Eel, the Chicken Karaage and the Mentaiko Pasta, above other things we tried. I will definitely come back and try some more things on the menu, drinks included. There is a broad selection of beers (locals or from Japan) and Sake as well..I couldn't decide what to get! Get down there before it gets too busy!!

Other restaurants near Nanban

You are requesting to book Nanban for people on at .