SquareMeal Review of Murano

“It’s hardly surprising that down-to-earth Angela Hartnett is behind this magic” commented one fan after dining at Michelin-starred Murano and giving it a hearty “bravo” in the process.

Somehow, this smart performer manages to offer “the perfect combination of atmosphere, privacy, service and food” in a sleek setting that suggests low-key sophistication – think pale white-and-beige tones, the odd art-deco flourish and, of course, an abundance of Murano glass.

Hartnett looks at Italian cuisine through English eyes, but her vision is true and the food created by her impressive kitchen brigade represents “simplicity at its absolute best”. Her menu is also ultra-flexible, allowing you to choose up to five courses at will, from a summery dish of tomatoes served with Cornish mussels, slivers of lardo and seaweed butter to caramelised Amalfi lemon tart or a voguish pairing of Brillat-Savarin cheesecake, lemon and blueberries with cucumber sorbet.

In between, there are pitch-perfect, seasonally vigorous pastas (perhaps agnolotti ‘in brodo’ with white onion purée, wild onions and Parmesan or little parcels of sweetcorn and ricotta tortelli with lobster and tarragon), while mains might bring anything from a gutsy plate of sea bass, fennel ragù and roasted red peppers to lamb loin and sweetbreads partnered by coco beans and trompette mushrooms.

Service is warm and “very attentive”, set lunches are terrific value, and the massive international wine list pays full homage to the glories of Italian regional viticulture (just ask the brilliant sommelier for guidance).  “Everything is a delight”, confirms one fan, and we’re not about to argue with that.

££££ - Over £80

Reviews of Murano

Ms/Mrs. Namita S

Good Overall
26 September 2019   - Verified Diner

Great food, boring interiors and atmosphere

Paul A

Not up to standard
20 May 2019

Our visit did not start too well. The welcome was fairly summary and we were shown to a table uncomfortably close to the stand at which the front of house staff gathered. My request to be moved was met with a shrug of the shoulders, and we were taken to a smaller table at the far end of the dining room, which in fact had the benefit of a good view of the kitchen, although this did not entirely compensate for the lack of space on the table.  There is no tasting menu, so we chose from each of the five groups of dishes offered, our first selection being being the seared scallop, which was tasty but far less than melt-in-the mouth. I left it and expressed my disappointment to the waiter, who returned a little later to inform us that chef had found nothing wrong with it as it was only seared. Clearly I was just a paying customer with no taste. Not how to run a starred restaurant in my opinion, and in complete contrast to the attitude in the restaurant we dined in the previous evening. Obviously I tried not to let the first course cloud the picture for the rest of the meal. Our agnolotti presented a pretty picture with good balance between the exceptional morels, the notable herbiness of the pasta and the cheese, and this dish was followed by some of the best asparagus we’ve ever had, from a small grower in Essex, with perfectly done hazelnuts making for a good taste and crunch match and topped off with good parmesan. We never turn down the chance of having Cornish turbot, and even though it was a tiny portion its class showed, as did that of the St George’s mushroom, of which we unfortunately got just one, as was the case with the white asparagus. The fish was done in what appeared to be the set method for the restaurant, namely seared, but this time properly. The final Spring Menu course was very good pork belly and loin with a good old-fashioned match of apple sauce and mash, plus fruit with mild mustard and decent stuffed cabbage. From the separate dessert menu we ordered lovely Amalfi lemon tart which was well caramelised to balance the strong lemon, and a peanut mousse, chocolate and banana sorbet concoction which went down well. Our fresh mint tea was served in one ungenerous pot for two people. There were a few lovely elements to this meal but overall nothing that sparked the chain of appreciative remarks we had hoped to be making. We almost had the impression that the good was sufficient and that most of the staff were more or less going through the motions. Typical of the situation was the fact that our request for a copy of the menu to take away seemed to throw the waitress and we were simply provided with sheets removed from the presentation folder - there was no indication of the name of the restaurant nor any further details. We found this lacking in professionalism. At least cost of the scallop dish was deducted from the bill!

Mr. Lloyd S

Fantastic Italian Lunch
23 April 2019

A visit to Murano will always be a highlight of my dining calendar especially as I am a lover of Italian food. So therefore it came as a great surprise when I realised that it's been over two years since my last visit. But I will honestly say that after this fabulous lunch I definitely won't be leaving it that long before I return again. There's always a nice relaxed feel when you dine at Murano and this was enhanced once more during our visit on saturday . We arrived to the usual friendly greeting before being shown to our table which was along the far wall which gives you a great overall view of the restaurant. We started with an Italian Gin & Tonic and for me when having Italian food it has to be a Negroni. These were enjoyed along with some amazing snacks & bread while we browsed through the menu. The Al a Carte is set out into five sections in an Italian style i.e starters , pasta , fish & meat with a separate dessert menu. This is nice as it gives you the opportunity to create your own tasting menu if you so wish. There is also a lunch menu which I think is good value for money and was quite popular.

We decided to go for the four course option to be followed by dessert. So now it was on to our first courses which were a Pea & Wild Garlic Soup with a Smoked Trout Crostini & a Beef Carpaccio with Pecan , Caviar & Truffle. Both of these dishes were amazing and a perfect way to start.

Before our next course we received a delightful surprise as Chef Martina sent us out a couple of little extra dishes. These were the Scallop with Chicken Wing , Taramasalata & Grapefruit plus a Herb Agnolotti , Morels & Crottin de Chavignol. These dishes were fabulous and a nice touch from the chef.

Now it was on to our Pasta course where we enjoyed a Carnaroli Risotto with Cauliflower & Smoked Almonds as well as the Gnocchi with Cime de Rapa , Pecorino & Tomato Oil.

Next to come was the Fish course and these were both amazing. The Halibut with Herb Farfalle , Chicken Broth & Spring Vegetables was a delight as was the Cornish Brill , White Asparagus , Jersey Royals & Marjoram.

It was now time for our Mains the first being a Rib of Beef with Sunchoke , Porcini & Smoked Bone Marrow this was matched perfectly with a glass of Taurasi Sant ' Eustachio 2007. The second was a Herdwick Lamb , Braised Neck , Sweetbreads , Peas & Goats Curd which was also delightfully matched with a glass of San Leonardo Villa Gresti 2013. I'd to thank Sommelier Franco for her excellent wine pairings that accompanied all our dishes.

Now it was time to finish with dessert where our waiter Lorenzo who it was a pleasure to meet gave us his recommendations with his favourite being the Rum Baba. With that in mind we decided to choose the Peanut Mousse with Madagascan Chocolate & Banana Sorbet plus the Savarin Cheesecake with Lemon Blueberry & Cucumber Sorbet. A nice surprise was to come though as not only did our choice of desserts arrive but our waiters favourite Rum Baba also arrived and just like our choices it was delicious so thank you Lorenzo.

Before we finished with a coffee & petit fours we was asked if we'd like to see the kitchen and meet the Chef. With delight we said that would great and enjoyed a lovely chat with Martina while the rest of the team were either finishing of the lunch dishes or prepping for the evening. This really was a fantastic way to end our lunch which is definitely one I won't forget in a hurry. The food was amazing , the wine selections were excellent and staff were all very friendly and professional so yes I would highly recommend a visit

Sandra O

25 April 2016
Had a lovely evening at Murano, food was outstanding, liked that you could have anything on the menu as a starter or main course, thoroughly enjoyed the amuse bouche that were presented between courses. The staff were friendly, efficient and extremely knowledgeable. I particularly enjoyed my beef main course was cooked to perfection. The pistachio soufflé for desert was exquisite. It was friends special birthday and I asked them to do something to make it extra special which they duly did presenting an extra desert with Happy Birthday written on it. Would highly recommend and will visit again

Alison G

04 November 2015
This restaurant is beautifully decorated, Lovely modern art style. Service is very good and the waiters make you feel welcome. We had an evening dinner and did not felt pressure to rush our meal. Waiters are knowledgeable about the menu and happy to adapt menu to clients . The food was outstanding, beautifully presented, good portion size, tasty ingredient combinations. Really enjoyed the Truffle course. Definitely a place to go again

Ms/Mrs. Natalia P

01 June 2015
This restaurant definitely has a wow factor! Beautifully decorated and would please an eye of someone who appreciates modern art. Service is superb and the waiters make you feel welcome. We dined during lunch and there was none of that nuisance of 2 hour turn around, waiters are knowledgeable about the menu and happy to adapt menu to clients - i.e. you can have main in the portion of a starter and vice versa. Food was outstanding, beautifully presented, nice portion size, tasty ingredient combinations. Definitely worth a visit

Kelly F

Excellent food, limited environment
13 May 2015
My husband and I recently dined at Murano, we both love Italian food of all varieties, and were excited to eat at Murano. The food lived up to its reputation in all respects, flavours were complex and yet fresh and lively. The service was excellent, attentive without being intrusively so. The only downsides were that there is little ambiance, we arrived for dinner at 8:00 and there were as yet few diners, so there was little 'buzz' and there was no ambient music, which made for a strangely odd dining experience. (It did fill up later in the evening and become less noticeable) As such, perhaps best suited to professional dinners and meetings? Secondly, the cocktail selection is limited, crushed ice is unavailable, which makes a variety of cocktails unavailable and a Cosmopolitan ordered was average at best. Still, overall a wonderful meal full of culinary surprises.

Tobyb1

Best meal of the year - so far!
09 December 2013
Murano has been on my list for ages and didn't disappoint. The food was superb. The sweetbreads melted in my mouth and the risotto was to die for. The structure of the menu meant yon could have 2, 3, 4 or 5 course plus pud on top, so completely flexible. The Sommelier was extremely knowledgeable and the chap who served the cheese trolley was deft and enthusiastic. What a lovely place, can’t wait to return.

Mr. Max B

Italian with a twist
04 September 2013
We had some memorable dinners when Angela Hartnett was at the Connaught and much to my shame I had never been to Murano. Until yesterday, when a business contact suggested lunch there. Everything is as it is supposed to be in a restaurant of this caliber. Precise service, a pleasant, if a bit too hushed dining room, good tables, good light flooding from the street. The food though, takes center stage. Even more than at her previous venture Artnett is presenting a new take on Italian inspired classics. The tastes are bolder and more defined. There is more “gusto” in the cooking, than at the Connhaught. The potato pancake with taleggio was memorable. Delicate, fluffy, yet packing a punch. My host had the octopus and by the looks of it must have just jumped out of the water. Sometimes I like to see how chefs can make even a obvious, tired dish like a beef bavette interesting and I was pleasantly surprised. The meet (perfectly cooked) arrived on a bed of sweetcorn and pepper salsa that transformed it into a firework of flavors. The pre-dessert, a lime granita infused with lavender, was the perfect dish to cleanse the palate. The wine list as you would expect is robust with some interesting newcomers. I didn't see the bill but the three course set lunch at £30 is a steal. I will certainly go back to sample the evening menu.

Mr. Vincent V

Excellent!
31 July 2013
Had a business lunch and everything wasgreat! The sommelier is extremly knowlegeable and helpfull making every effort to acomodate. The staff were friendly and profesional and the food was extremly well done. The only but was that the atmosphere wasnt great…but then again it was a business lunch! Definetly must come back for a relaxed dinner!

Other restaurants near Murano

You are requesting to book Murano for people on at .