Italian

SquareMeal Review of Murano

Angela Hartnett’s flagship restaurant is Mayfair dining at its very best – “fabulous” food, “unobtrusive” staff and a first-rate wine list manned by a “brilliant” sommelier. The sleek white-and-beige dining room with the odd art-deco flourish may still have echoes of its Gordon Ramsay days, but Hartnett’s Brit-Italian cooking keeps Murano apace with London’s vanguard. The ultra-flexible menu lets you choose up to five courses at will, from an exquisite scallop crudo with plump greengages and crunchy oats, piqued by a lemon verbena foam to gorgeous parcels of rabbit meat and sage in a clear broth or a star dish of confit pink fir apples, crispy skins and a creamy Tunworth cheese foam. The huge wine list stays true to Hartnett’s Italian heritage, and you can keep costs down by ordering the “excellent-value” set lunch. “Murano is perfect for any occasion”, confirms one fan.

The Ayala SquareMeal Best Female Chefs Series: Angela Hartnett

Reviews of Murano

Mr. Lloyd S

Fantastic Italian Lunch
23 April 2019
A visit to Murano will always be a highlight of my dining calendar especially as I am a lover of Italian food. So therefore it came as a great surprise when I realised that it's been over two years since my last visit. But I will honestly say that after this fabulous lunch I definitely won't be leaving it that long before I return again. There's always a nice relaxed feel when you dine at Murano and this was enhanced once more during our visit on saturday . We arrived to the usual friendly greeting before being shown to our table which was along the far wall which gives you a great overall view of the restaurant. We started with an Italian Gin & Tonic and for me when having Italian food it has to be a Negroni. These were enjoyed along with some amazing snacks & bread while we browsed through the menu. The Al a Carte is set out into five sections in an Italian style i.e starters , pasta , fish & meat with a separate dessert menu. This is nice as it gives you the opportunity to create your own tasting menu if you so wish. There is also a lunch menu which I think is good value for money and was quite popular.  We decided to go for the four course option to be followed by dessert. So now it was on to our first courses which were a Pea & Wild Garlic Soup with a Smoked Trout Crostini & a Beef Carpaccio with Pecan , Caviar & Truffle. Both of these dishes were amazing and a perfect way to start.  Before our next course we received a delightful surprise as Chef Martina sent us out a couple of little extra dishes. These were the Scallop with Chicken Wing , Taramasalata & Grapefruit plus a Herb Agnolotti , Morels & Crottin de Chavignol. These dishes were fabulous and a nice touch from the chef.  Now it was on to our Pasta course where we enjoyed a Carnaroli Risotto with Cauliflower & Smoked Almonds as well as the Gnocchi with Cime de Rapa , Pecorino & Tomato Oil.  Next to come was the Fish course and these were both amazing. The Halibut with Herb Farfalle , Chicken Broth & Spring Vegetables was a delight as was the Cornish Brill , White Asparagus , Jersey Royals & Marjoram.  It was now time for our Mains the first being a Rib of Beef with Sunchoke , Porcini & Smoked Bone Marrow this was matched perfectly with a glass of Taurasi Sant ' Eustachio 2007. The second was a Herdwick Lamb , Braised Neck , Sweetbreads , Peas & Goats Curd which was also delightfully matched with a glass of San Leonardo Villa Gresti 2013. I'd to thank Sommelier Franco for her excellent wine pairings that accompanied all our dishes.  Now it was time to finish with dessert where our waiter Lorenzo who it was a pleasure to meet gave us his recommendations with his favourite being the Rum Baba. With that in mind we decided to choose the Peanut Mousse with Madagascan Chocolate & Banana Sorbet plus the Savarin Cheesecake with Lemon Blueberry & Cucumber Sorbet. A nice surprise was to come though as not only did our choice of desserts arrive but our waiters favourite Rum Baba also arrived and just like our choices it was delicious so thank you Lorenzo.  Before we finished with a coffee & petit fours we was asked if we'd like to see the kitchen and meet the Chef. With delight we said that would great and enjoyed a lovely chat with Martina while the rest of the team were either finishing of the lunch dishes or prepping for the evening. This really was a fantastic way to end our lunch which is definitely one I won't forget in a hurry. The food was amazing , the wine selections were excellent and staff were all very friendly and professional so yes I would highly recommend a visit

25 April 2016
Had a lovely evening at Murano, food was outstanding, liked that you could have anything on the menu as a starter or main course, thoroughly enjoyed the amuse bouche that were presented between courses. The staff were friendly, efficient and extremely knowledgeable. I particularly enjoyed my beef main course was cooked to perfection. The pistachio soufflé for desert was exquisite. It was friends special birthday and I asked them to do something to make it extra special which they duly did presenting an extra desert with Happy Birthday written on it. Would highly recommend and will visit again

04 November 2015
This restaurant is beautifully decorated, Lovely modern art style. Service is very good and the waiters make you feel welcome. We had an evening dinner and did not felt pressure to rush our meal. Waiters are knowledgeable about the menu and happy to adapt menu to clients . The food was outstanding, beautifully presented, good portion size, tasty ingredient combinations. Really enjoyed the Truffle course. Definitely a place to go again

Ms/Mrs. Natalia P

01 June 2015
This restaurant definitely has a wow factor! Beautifully decorated and would please an eye of someone who appreciates modern art. Service is superb and the waiters make you feel welcome. We dined during lunch and there was none of that nuisance of 2 hour turn around, waiters are knowledgeable about the menu and happy to adapt menu to clients - i.e. you can have main in the portion of a starter and vice versa. Food was outstanding, beautifully presented, nice portion size, tasty ingredient combinations. Definitely worth a visit

Kelly F

Excellent food, limited environment
13 May 2015
My husband and I recently dined at Murano, we both love Italian food of all varieties, and were excited to eat at Murano. The food lived up to its reputation in all respects, flavours were complex and yet fresh and lively. The service was excellent, attentive without being intrusively so. The only downsides were that there is little ambiance, we arrived for dinner at 8:00 and there were as yet few diners, so there was little 'buzz' and there was no ambient music, which made for a strangely odd dining experience. (It did fill up later in the evening and become less noticeable) As such, perhaps best suited to professional dinners and meetings? Secondly, the cocktail selection is limited, crushed ice is unavailable, which makes a variety of cocktails unavailable and a Cosmopolitan ordered was average at best. Still, overall a wonderful meal full of culinary surprises.

Mr. Bill P

Best meal of the year - so far!
09 December 2013
Murano has been on my list for ages and didn't disappoint. The food was superb. The sweetbreads melted in my mouth and the risotto was to die for. The structure of the menu meant yon could have 2, 3, 4 or 5 course plus pud on top, so completely flexible. The Sommelier was extremely knowledgeable and the chap who served the cheese trolley was deft and enthusiastic. What a lovely place, can’t wait to return.

Mr. Max B

Italian with a twist
04 September 2013
We had some memorable dinners when Angela Hartnett was at the Connaught and much to my shame I had never been to Murano. Until yesterday, when a business contact suggested lunch there. Everything is as it is supposed to be in a restaurant of this caliber. Precise service, a pleasant, if a bit too hushed dining room, good tables, good light flooding from the street. The food though, takes center stage. Even more than at her previous venture Artnett is presenting a new take on Italian inspired classics. The tastes are bolder and more defined. There is more “gusto” in the cooking, than at the Connhaught. The potato pancake with taleggio was memorable. Delicate, fluffy, yet packing a punch. My host had the octopus and by the looks of it must have just jumped out of the water. Sometimes I like to see how chefs can make even a obvious, tired dish like a beef bavette interesting and I was pleasantly surprised. The meet (perfectly cooked) arrived on a bed of sweetcorn and pepper salsa that transformed it into a firework of flavors. The pre-dessert, a lime granita infused with lavender, was the perfect dish to cleanse the palate. The wine list as you would expect is robust with some interesting newcomers. I didn't see the bill but the three course set lunch at £30 is a steal. I will certainly go back to sample the evening menu.

Mr. Vincent V

Excellent!
31 July 2013
Had a business lunch and everything wasgreat! The sommelier is extremly knowlegeable and helpfull making every effort to acomodate. The staff were friendly and profesional and the food was extremly well done. The only but was that the atmosphere wasnt great…but then again it was a business lunch! Definetly must come back for a relaxed dinner!

Mr. Kenichi I

One of best Italians
19 May 2013
We are usually fussy about service but service was great. Food, needless to say, is at top level. Atmosphere was also good – suitable for family, business and romantic occasions as well. It his great package comes with price inevitably – but it's worth the price, I think.

Ms/Mrs. Alison R

09 July 2012
Fantastic meal, wonderful menu and great service. The food is really exciting and the added extra courses makes it feel even more special. Can't recommend highly enough.

Other restaurants near Murano

You are requesting to book Murano for people on at