SquareMeal Review of Mr Chow

Like its evergreen septuagenarian owner, Michael Chow, this Knightsbridge institution seems to defy the sands of time. Almost 50 years down the line, it’s as handsome and elegant as ever with its chrome lampshades, monochrome colour schemes and artwork from the likes of Peter Blake. The restaurant’s rather sexy old-school demeanour lures in rich ‘new Knightsbridge’ types and corporate wallets – none of whom wince at the £30 price tag for a dish of citrus-flavoured crispy beef. The reason? When it comes to Chinese comfort food, few places can deliver quite like Mr Chow. There’s hardly a dish we don’t adore, from the sticky glazed prawns to lettuce wraps of minced spiced chicken, mixed seafood awash in a gooey white wine sauce, and – of course – the dessert trolley. Chow’s original vision of Chinese food served by Italian waiters happily lives on, epitomised by a charming maître d'.

Chinese
Late night dining

Location for Mr Chow

151 Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 7PA

Mon-Sun 12.30-3pm 7pm-12M

Reviews of Mr Chow

Ms/Mrs. Lama K

?????? ?? ?? ???? ???????
27 July 2019

????? ?? ??? ? ???? ????? ??? ??????? ? ?????? ???? ? ???? ? ????? ??? ????? ????? ? ????? ???? ?????????

Ms/Mrs. Natasha V

03 December 2012
We had come to this delightful little restaurant to celebrate my sister getting her dream job. Delicious food, very quant and it was just want we wanted.

Ms/Mrs. Jane K

16 March 2012
The worst service I've ever experienced in London, stuff is completely unprofessional and rude. Never again.

Ms/Mrs. Fiona M

19 July 2011
I took a client here for a work lunch last week and came away with very mixed views. We had the fixed price menu; a starter and main course each for £24. The food was very good (prawns with walnuts and the fried okra, followed by crispy fried beef and salt and pepper chicken) and portions were very large – there were a lot of leftovers. We had two beers, a coke and a tomato juice and the bill was £75. However there was no atmosphere at lunch; only 2 other tables were taken downstairs and the whole upstairs was empty. The service was APPALLING. Inspite of the restaurant being practically empty our waiter actually huffed every time we asked for a drink or for plates to be cleared, and our food was slammed down on the table. It felt like he was doing us a favour by doing his job. I think the service was probably the rudest I have ever encountered. I would never go back here.

Ms/Mrs. Lesley C

17 February 2011
After my dear friend offered to buy us both dinner at Mr Chow's, I was suitably excited but after the warm welcome from the girl on the front desk, and being accommodated without a reservation, our waiter service swiftly became hurried and without care. I had been told the food was the best in London and it was indeed very nice, particularly the sticky prawns with walnuts but for the amount it cost, there are plenty in Chinatown that are of equal quality and infinitely cheaper, a view confirmed when the rubbery crispy duck arrived. The best part (after the prawns) was people watching – I got the feeling most of them were there because they could afford to be rather than because it was fab. And don't even get me started on the loo in a cupboard in the basement. Next stop, Heston's new place at the Mandarin…

Mr. Jean-Pierre P

09 August 2010
Very poor price/quality ratio. Not at all authentic. Non transparent with invoice (impossible to understand). Spring rolls are probably frozen! Not at all friendly but very commercial. This place needs to change management or close down!! Worst Chines experience In London.

Mr. max K

03 January 2010
Having returned from a magnificent holiday in St Barts, it has to be said that my wife and I experienced our worst restaurant experience in many years at Mr Chow in London. The waiters looked dishevelled, unhappy and were difficult to understand throughout the evening. We were ushered to an empty room upstairs with no atmosphere and loud tasteless pop music – we were made to feel privileged for this. As foodies, we had looked forward to a pleasant evening at Mr Chow, and yet we ended up reminding the lacklustre waiters every 30 minutes of what they had forgotten to bring to the table. We even had to pour our own wine (at £100 for the bottle this was a little disturbing) and watched as other guests did the same. We watched in disgust as a senior waiter stood 2 meters from our table and yawned endlessly at the windows to the road outside – he looked like he was trying to concoct his escape… There are far better Oriental restaurants in London with waiters and waitresses who take pride in servivce and appearance. I would recommend that you avoid this place – your wallets will feel better for it. We paid our bill in full and yet ended up having an argument with the manager whilst his staff laughed in the background. Mr Chow – if you should read this review, be warned, as this is the beginning of the end for this type of unprofessional establishment. MK Jan 2010

Mr. Tony G

08 November 2009
avoid at all costs! i was utterly abused and humiliated when i took my parents and sister to Mr chow in London. After fine experiences in LA and NY, i decided to try the London address a couple of weeks ago. I never opened the menu. when the maitre d' came, i ordered crispy duck for four. The maitre d', Marcelo, said he would arrange some openers and bring my duck after that. instead, he forced 8 plates upon us, refused to take back the extra prawns and steak which i never ordered but he served nonetheless and gave me a doggy bag with my crispy duck (which i never touched, obviously). terrible experience!

Other restaurants near Mr Chow

You are requesting to book Mr Chow for people on at .